Okotan Adventures: Spider Saga

“I mean…” Morrus began to defend the method of communication. “It’s… Stimulating? Gets the brain-gears turning?” He made a motion with his hands to illustrate brain gears in the process of turning. “You’re making it sound like there aren’t any worse methods.”

1 Like

Risa folds her arms. “Are you saying there are worse methods? I mean, you might as well not leave a message at that point; there goes whatever you were trying to say.” She shakes her head.

1 Like

Morrus rolled his eyes. “You just have no appreciation for willingness to utilize a complex imagination.” He scoffed. “For instance, you could use phrases or meanings behind words only familiar to the other party, like how, um…”

“Look, the options exist, okay? If you’re clever, you can utilize them.”

1 Like

“Orrr, you can just confuse everyone who’s reading it, which is what’s happening now.” She throws up her hands. “I hate to say it, but sometimes being practical is a good thing.”

2 Likes

“Yeah, Yeah happens to us all at some point.” Hoari joked “look I need to talk to you and the others about-“ He jabbed his thumb at the soil’s general direction. “Him. Do you think you can fetch IIza?”

1 Like

“Huh? Fr-friend?” he mutters softly.

1 Like

“‘The poet’s friend is a dead poet.’” Morrus grumbled in retort, mostly to himself. “Well if he’s not trying to send a message, what else? Is he a mute or something? Why write a message like this, especially one so… Y’know. Devoid of words that describe the current location?”

Vra’axinni tumbles into Bramble, most likely sending the boat shaking even more.

Keya slowly lowers the barrel. “…as long as he doesn’t attack us.” She says.

“It’s part of your legacy, it deserves to be upheld.” Vinum responds. “And either way, this is good practice for that. And without the Toa, the people of Okoto need as many protectors as they can get.”

3 Likes

Oof

Bramble nearly toppled backwards, digging his foot claws into the boat to brace himself and keep Vra’axinni from rolling off him into the sea. Whoever this was, she was not polite at all. I mean, shoving people? You would think even a murder person who was probably part shark would have more respect than to-

Why do I feel water?

1 Like

Vra’axinni pushed himself off of Bramble and got ready to leap at her again…but then he felt the water around his feet. He frowned. “We are sinking.” He muttered, before trying for another leaping stab.

1 Like

“Phew…” He pokes his head further out and squeezes his arm to reach the tool once more.

2 Likes

“You got a name, friend?” Vohman asks, his hand drifting away from his knife.

The Queen responds with a laugh, smacking Vra’axinni away with the side of her spear.

“Well, this has been quite the pleasant distraction, but I’m afraid play time is over. Do try and survive so I can kill you properly later… or don’t, I hear drowning is quite painful. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a city to siege.” With that she turns away, her raft of spiders carrying her over the next wave and towards the island.

Tathel, meanwhile, has grabbed a bucket and started throwing water over the side of the boat. Even with his efforts, the gash is wide, and water seems to be leaking in faster than he can remove it.

“W-we need to get back to shore!” His voice is shaking in tandem with his hands.

Risa frowns, poking at the dirt. “I dunno, is Ekimu’s apprentice mute or something?” @Tarkur @meepinater

Jaspar’s expression sours. “What about him?”

“Indeed. It’s not as if our problems have simply vanished. Perhaps it is time to establish a more permanent solution…” He stares off into the air, deep in thought.

2 Likes

Bramble whirled about, recoiling in horror at the hole in the boat. How did it get there? Why was it such a long gash? It almost seemed the perfect size for the claws on his feet… Weird.

“W-We can’t g-get back,” Bramble somehow managed to out-shake Tathel. The island was so distant and it seemed to slip further and further from view. “We’re t-too far out!”

His pleading eyes turned to Vra’axinni for an answer. These waters most assuredly had sharks.

Morrus snapped his fingers.

“Mute!” He looked down at Risa. “Risa, you wonderful whatever you are- Probably should’ve just said Okotan,” He jabbed a thin, knotted finger into the dirt. “They were arguing! One of them was a mute! By the dark, you’ve solved it!”

He was clearly way more excited about this than he should’ve been. It was hardly an indicator of where they went or who they even were. “Or maybe deaf and could only read. But this in wonderful! We should crack open some wine or something.”

Risa - and the other two, if they were looking - might notice large yellow fruits were hanging off Morrus’ forearms, almost identical to the ones Kiva had offered him earlier in the morning.

3 Likes

“H-hey, it’s going to be okay, we can get back. W-we might get a bit wet, but the current should bring us back to shore.”

Risa makes various gestures, half-formed objections forming in her mouth before bubbling away. In the end she just rolls her eyes, plucking a fruit and giving it a tentative bite.

1 Like

“No, but my friend is.” Streke replied. “He might have been telling a story… We might be on the right track.”

1 Like

“Finally, something makes sense,” she mutters. “So if this is your friend that was with Ekimu’s apprentice, then this is probably where they camped out, maybe even last night. Not sure why they picked here of all places; maybe they wanted a spooky place to tell ghost stories.” She shrugs. “Any idea where they’d go next?”

Streke shook his head.
He looked around the remains of the campsite.
“I don’t know. It doesn’t seem like they stayed here for very long… maybe they’re hunting something?”

A thought occurred to Streke. “Or someone,” He rubbed his chin. “They might very well be chasing someone, and I have my suspicions so as to who it is.”
@Ghid @Tarkur

1 Like

“What a coincidence; we’re hunting someone too!” She gasps. “What if we’re hunting the same person? Wouldn’t that be crazy?”

Streke rubbed his chin some more.
“Who are you hunting?”

1 Like

Risa opens her mouth to answer, then pauses. She looks back at Morrus.

“Who are we hunting, again?”