Opinions on the prominent use of silver and gold in BIONICLE sets

You know what I miss? The “dark gold” color from '03 to '05. The new flat gold color just feels so bland, you know? Although it might not seem so bad if it wasn’t so overused. I know that everybody on this topic has been pretty much saying the same thing, but I think it’s s big enough issue that it deserves being said AGAIN. Gold used to feel special. “Oooh, golden masks!” “Ooh, golden toa!” Now it feels boring. And let’s be honest, it’s really not too useful for MoCing, either (just my opinion). Silver, I don’t have so much of a problem with when used as sort of an accent color, and silver parts have a lot of utility. Lego’s giant gold fe**sh (am I allowed to say that here? Sorry) is a HUGE problem, though. #tahumasterofgold. In case you can’t tell, I feel very strongly about this, and would like to see Toa sets with more than four colored shells in the future.

1 Like

@SmeatyFlavor Yeah, i mean, it feels less special getting a mask that’s in a colour that’s already ridiculously prominent in the set anyway.

@Apophyx Its the idea that gold is a very royal colour, and should be reserved for characters of high importance - for example Ekimu and Makuta. Tahu doesn’t deserve gold YET. The fact that Tahu 2016 has more gold than the Summer 2016 Ekimu is just ridiculous.

Also, i agree with you on that he looks more like fire, and looks more one with the element he controls, so to speak, but you can make a set look very fiery without plastering it in gold. The issue isn’t that he’s not red (for me anyway), its that his primary colour is one that shouldn’t be used on him as it detracts from other sets in the line.

1 Like

I feel that it is rather overused. Smaller amounts would be better, just weapons and a couple of add-ons.

Squeezing the gold into Kopaka, and all the gold on Tahu this year I think is rather overdoing it.

1 Like

I’d say it detracts from Ekimu, as he is meant to be the Mata Nui of G2, despite Tahu using far more gold, which is generally used on characters or objects of higher importance. For example: Golden Mask > Standard Mask. The fact its ‘better’ is intended to be visually represented via the use of gold. Surely, following that logic, the character of higher importance would include more gold. Despite this, Ekimu contains less gold than Tahu.

Its all well and good judging the sets individually, but when each set is set in a larger story, the logic has to be consistent otherwise its just poor overall design for the line itself.

By the logic presented there though, the more translucent parts used the higher ‘ranking’ the character would have, but after counting, 2016 Tahu actually has more translucent pieces than Ekimu.(i believe he’s called Ekimu The Mask maker in his ‘Toa’ form). Unless you want to go via pure abundance of the colour despite the size of parts, in which case Ekimu would probably win in terms of translucent colouring.

Even then, both characters having equal amounts of gold is still an issue for me, seeing as Ekimu is clearly a more important character than Tahu, with Tahu basically being the leader of Ekimu’s security. Having them be equal still doesn’t make much sense to me.

I may be reading into this too much, it just annoys me when theres inconsistencies in logic, even in a toy line such as BIONICLE. Plot holes and similar issues in films also really frustrate me - so its not just me picking on you or BIONICLE specifically :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh, don’t even get me started on Kopaka’s shoulders…

1 Like

What.

Call me weirdo, but i love, repeat LOVE Gunmetal.

8 Likes

I really don’t mind the use of metallic colours, as long as they don’t swamp the flat/translucent colours on the figure. That said, I personally feel that all the novelty has been stripped away from gold. Back in the day, gold was a special colour only really featured in special sets like Takanuva or Brutaka, but ever since Rocka arrived on the scene in 2011, it’s become really commonplace.

As for translucent pieces, I really like them! To me, they make the models look a lot more energetic and dynamic, as if they’re glowing with energy.

4 Likes

I think it has times when it works really well, like (for me) Uniter Tahu. Is it a LOT of gold? Yeah. But I think that not only does it work because I associate gold with light/fire, but it also makes him look like a leader and it looks like armor.

1 Like

Feel like Tahu Uniters colour scheme would fit better when he’s ascended to the power level of Ekimu or is as respected as Ekimu. To me he’s still a rookie (along with all the other toa), and definitely seems like one in the Journey to One netflix series. They all essentially act like kids.

Silver and gold on the new bionicles?
There should be less.

Oh yeah, I agree. Silver’s terrible, I much prefer gold. Case and point, Lewa 2016. They made silver his main colour…he’s a jungle creature, what creature in what jungle has ever had silver as its main colour? It’s the worst. Too much gold isn’t that much better, but it does look nicer as an accent than does silver.

I don’t mind the abundance of gold or silver as long as it is done in a way that isn’t excessive. Lewa 2015 had silver accents. Lewa 2016 is silver. Onua both versions 2015 and 2016 have beautiful golden accents to go along with an otherwise boring purple and black colour scheme.

I feel silver should be reserved mainly for armoured areas and weapons. Being completely silver worked well for Bulk in the first wave of HF, because it really made him look like he was the strongest, as silver was used sensibly during that wave.

1 Like

Gunmetal is awesome!!! Ignore the haters XD. Although it bugs me how all of the 2016 uniters have gunmetal pelvic pieces, but no other gunmetal anywhere else. Not a huge problem though. Oh, and Pohatu’s 2015 boomerangs should have been silver, to make them more useful, since they’re otherwise the best Bionicle G2 weapons we’ve got so far.

2 Likes

It’s not the only color themed hero franchise being plagued with gold and silver.
Just about every Power Ranger series since 2009 has had a gold and/or silver ranger in it, but that’s off subject…

Yeah it would be nice to see the toa without gold or silver aesthetics, and go back to some old school color schemes, like a tricolor system.
Tahu: Mata Red, Metru Red, and orange.
Kopaka: White, Grey, and silver.
Lewa: G2 Green, Lime Green, and Metru Green
Gali: G2 Blue, Metru Blue, and HF Blue.
Pohatu: Brown, Tan, and Burnt orange(G2 Brown)
Onua: Black, Gunmetal, and gray.

But it means so much more when I seeeee
Silver and gold decorations!
On every unity…

Someone find that meme, quick.

Metallic pieces are fine as long as they add to the character of a set and do not steal to show. For example, gold made Brutaka look very menacing and powerful, but it also was broken enough by the dark blue to not make him look like a statue. The mix made the buyer know that Brutaka was an elite character. Another 2006 character that made great use of metal armor was Jaller. The gold clearly defined him as the leader, and blended well with his trans orange and dark red. His whole body looked like a suit of armor still being welded, fitting for a toa of fire.

Does this mean that gold and silver are the only way of conveying a character. Absolutely not. The Barraki (Which I admit I am biased to) used blended colors to achieve a look desirable. The only real metal they had was pinchers, which is kind of weird, and squid launchers. The glatorian did a stellar job restraining metallic colors for the most part as well.

Furthermore, I want to do a mini rant to the people who complain about metallic weapons. They are weapons. Artificial tools that aid in combat that are separate from the wielders. In real-life our sword blades do not match the hues of our flesh. Elemental weapons are a common trait also in bionicle, but if a weapon is elemental, it really should be translucent or have blended colors. The toa Mata are excusable for many reasons. Firstly, Lego was on a tighter restraint in terms of molding power for the weapons, so the above options were unlikely to happen. Second, lego was very adamant about preventing violence at the time, therefore toa tools that shared a color with kitchen knives was a big no. Lastly, the limbs used did look like the weapon was an extension of the arm, as the robot angle of bionicle was still being explored heavily.

I could say more, but I think my stances are clear. Metal colors are fine so long as they are well executed.

4 Likes