Opinions on the prominent use of silver and gold in BIONICLE sets

I think just bicolour (would that be the right term?) colour schemes would work best, seeing as the Toa are relatively small and use fairly large parts. Tricolour colour schemes would work great for Umarak The Destroyer sized sets though.

If i were to be in charge of the 2015 reboot of BIONICLE i’d probably go for this colouration:

Tahu: Mata red + orange
Kopaka: white + ight Blue
Lewa: G2 green + lime green
Gali: G2 blue + light blue
Pohatu: G2 Brown + Tan
Onua: Black + Purple

This coupled with the all skeleton pieces the shells attach to being black (just to get that Mata vibe again with the use of black socket joints), along with the gear box being the primary colour of each set accordingly.

@LurkingEhlek I agree metallic weapons makes sense, but it would feel like so much more like an upgrade if the 2015 Toa all had weapons matching their colour schemes (not silver / gunmetal / gold), and then the 2016 Toa came out with metallic weapons. Same with 2001 - 2002.

Honestly i could write a list on all the things i think 2001 - 2002 did far better than 2015 - 2016.

1 Like

I don’t really mind the use of silver or gold. Even though it’s uses has become very cliched at this point.

I don;t mind it that much, I only dislike it when it takes over the color scheme. I prefer this generation of Bionicle’s colors over G1.

Personally I like gold and silver armor, but I wish Lego would actually add a metallic copper as a third option.

3 Likes

Then promptly spam the karzahni out of it in all of their sets.

Yeah, but it’d be so cool.
They need to have a set that’s trans-yellow with metallic copper.

2 Likes

That would be so amazing, maybe for a toa of light, or a villain too

1 Like

I’m not completely sure about this but i believe they did have some sort of copper colour in some of the latter Knights Kingdom sets - although it may have been just the older, darker gold used on the original Takanuva.

I think it was more of a bronze on the purple knight, but that was so long ago I can barely remember. If at one point they did use copper I think they should bring it back, just for a little more variety

It’s just the Takanuva gold. But I’d still like if they brought this back as it does look like copper (at least next to the pearl gold)

3 Likes

My mistake, thanks for informing us :smiley: And i think it would be nice if they brought back the older gold, though i think the main reason for them swapping it for the brighter color is that it looks more appealing to kids. I think the Takanuva gold could have worked pretty well on Skull Grinder, just two or three dark gold bits and maybe his weapon too. It’d make his armour look a little more aged, and a little bit of it would help show he has dominance over the other Skull Villians. Though it might look a little off against the silver and gunmetal.

My opinion on the use of gold in Bionicle sets? G2 HAS TOO MUCH GOLD! Especially Uniter Tahu… Personally I feel gold and silver have become common colors and it’s a shame to see how commonly they are used considering that G1 only used those colors for half of the titan sets, special sets, and a select few enhanced sets.

But when it comes to MOCs… I don’t know, being completely honest here.

1 Like

I think they should bring it back, but call it copper, because to be honest it looks more like copper than gold.

I love the Takanuva gold.

Metallic colours have definitely become more prolific among constraction sets in recent years. In Hero Factory, they weren’t used that prominently in the 2.0 and 3.0 heroes when CCBS first started in 2011, aside from heroes who had metallic colours as their primary colours like Rocka and Bulk, and their usage was varied in villains. But as time progressed they began to be used in noticeably more copious quantities, mostly on the heroes. 2013 saw a prodigious increase in metallic parts on the Brain Attack heroes, and they only became more pervasive on the heroes’ mech machines in 2014.

When BIONICLE G2 came on the scene, it too featured quite a bit of metallic coloured pieces on the Toa, but they were balanced out for the most part by their primary colours (except for Pohatu and Gali.) Most of the Protectors and Skull Villains sported more transparent colours than anything else aside from maybe Skull Basher, so this issue definitely didn’t apply to them.

And then 2016 came along to completely ruin any semblance of good colour schemes for the majority of BIONICLE sets. Some sets barely contain any of what should be their primary colour like Pohatu, Tahu, and Storm Beast, their colour schemes being dominated by colours that would ideally be their secondary colours (Tahu’s absurd amount of gold along with the excessive silver on Lewa.) Pohatu has practically no dark orange with the exception of his mask and all six Toa saw a general decrease in the quantity of their primary colours, ruining what were once reasonably balanced colour schemes.

In my opinion the 2016 Toa were a downgrade in every way, the color was the final straw for me when it came to them. Some of their designs were just horrific, but i feel like i should create a new discussion for that, a bit off topic here.

Maybe you should

Discussion started :smiley:

https://board.ttvpodcast.com/t/opinions-on-the-use-of-technic-custom-builds-for-2016-toa-and-the-2016-toa-in-general/21344