Photez reinvention (self-moc)

I have tried 25 previous times to try and make Photez actually good, but I’ve never really been pleased with any of them

V26 was alright for its time, but after building far more complex mocs like the marauders and Paige, he started to look really outdated and, well, completely rubbish

I then realised that I probably should’ve just listened to @Hawkflight’s advice from years ago

as such the white is completely gone now and he consequently no longer looks like vomit

This is the first Photez since the original to not use any CCBS pieces, and I think it worked out really well. He’s far more Technic-heavy now and as a result he has stopped looking like a janky, gappy mess

and here he is compared with the jankiest of boys himself, Photez V1:

So in conclusion, it turns out that in the end the only thing that made me actually like my own self moc was completely changing him until he’s barely recognisable

Oh well, I’m still very pleased with how he turned out

37 Likes

This is an incredible reimagining of the character! The shaping all throughout (but especially the legs) are lovely, and the color scheme slaps

(Though personally I think that keetorange and white do mesh together)

7 Likes

ah cool
i like the head and the color scheme looks great!

4 Likes

I like how greebled he is.

3 Likes

I guess its my job to continue janky mocs now.

6 Likes

absolutely amazing, this build has so much character in it! also really clever spine design
looks like Photez has entered his edgelord faze or maybe you’ve gone and pulled a greg on us and he’s just the shattered glass photez

6 Likes

the second i looked at the moc some random guy started singing that one song that goes ‘black & yellow black & yellow’
completely unrelated

5 Likes

Oh, you managed to finally use some purple on Photez, this version really looks way better than the previous ones.

5 Likes

I love how different this is from the original!

5 Likes

Well I’m glad that what I said seems to have benefitted the MOC. The new color scheme is neat, the prehensile ponytail thing is cool, and I think the introduction of purple + the move away from CCBS gives him a very late 90s/early 2000s technic sort of vibe.

You are, of course, balancing out three primary colors with one base color, which leads to some of the coloration not being super consistent. Most notably, the shins have big silver plates and next to no purple on the outside. If you want to keep taking my advice; I’d suggest either the silver or keetorange, or else refine and exaggerate what makes them different (such as restricting the keetorange just to the spikes). But I don’t think that’s a massive issue.

7 Likes

You could try an custom head for it. I know of an Etsy seller who creates custom Bionicle mask/ head’s and More. Let me know if you want me to share his shop. PS you may want to reconsider his story as he looks a bit more feminine to me.

he can paint it in the colors you want.

4 Likes

I think that @Monopoly was going for those proportions, as they are very close to those of a Rakhshi set, which is what this character is based on.

3 Likes

Droconis, as much as I see with your… extremely buff mocs, some of us prefer a sleeker design, and thinner armor, focusing on the limbs rather than the torso.
I find more varied results.

5 Likes

nah he’s just got thicc thighs really

6 Likes

It’s refreshing to see purple on a MOC, and the yellow works well with it!

6 Likes

I can make skinny mocs. The next will be an insect like design of a praying mantis.

3 Likes

A rare case of quadritone that works well.

7 Likes