Plasma vs. Lightning

Now, according to all sorts of online resources, lightning is a form of plasma.

Does this mean that Toa of Plasma have not only the powers of other forms of plasma, but also all powers that a Toa of Lightning would have?

Biosector itself never explicitly says anything about Plasma and Lightning being related, so yeah.

One has to wonder, I suppose

4 Likes

it’s never clear -in the bionicle universe- what control elemental plasma has.
Plasma is not a substance but a state of matter. There are four states if matter, three of which occur stabily in the earth’s atmosphere.
these are
solid
liquid,
gasseous
and plasma.

The traditional four elements are based on this
wind(gas)
water(liqiid)
earth(solid)
fire(energy/plasma)

1 Like

Fair enough, I do indeed know of Plasma’s state as a form of Matter.

Although, if my theory is correct…Vo-Matoran got kinda screwed. As did Tahnok Kal.

3 Likes

Well Bionicle doesn’t really follow a traditional system. If it did, Ice wouldn’t the an element, as it’s just a solid form of Water, and would follow under that element.

1 Like

Well, I feel like water is like, the substance itself, and then Ice is like, control over the cold. Like, the act and art of making substances colder, but that’s just my silly headcanon/justification

No clue on the Earth vs. Stone thing, though.

1 Like

Earth=Soil
Stone=Rocks & Sand(?)

2 Likes

Sand = Dirt
Dirt hardened = Stone

Soil = Tilled land
Tilled land = #OnuaMasterLandPurpleOnepuConfirmed2015

I assumed Plasma was referring to the type of plasma found within stars and the like, not necessarily the state of matter.

I learned in school that they were different, and figured that Toa of Plasma controlled the first kind as that made the most sense to me as a child,

actually, lightning is not an object but an action. A transfer of energy. Lightning -in fact- is not plasma. Rather, lightning creates plasma by superheating the air surrounding it.
Therefore, plasma comes from lightning, not vice versa.

1 Like

the plasma found in stars is the state of matter. It is hydragen -and other elements- that have been heated beyond gassous into the plasma stage.

1 Like

Sorta how Tahu makes water when he melts ice, but doesn’t make water on his own unless ice is near?

3 Likes

sorta. Except there is always air around when lightning forms

1 Like

Not necessarily, you can still have an electric charge to be carried through metal in space.

1 Like

charge, yes. But lightning requires a medium; in atmosphere that medium is air.

Does not lightning give you the control over electricity?

3 Likes

Yes, you have a point

1 Like

remind me to go slap my science teachers…

2 Likes

the sun is so hard to study (being on fire and whatnot), a lot of what we “know” has been guesswork subject to erratic change.
It’s likely that when your science teachers learned it, we [humanity] really did think plasma was it’s own substance.

With my selfMOC having control over the whole electromagnetic spectrum (lightning, plasma, and magnetism), I’ve thought about this a lot.

In my heacanon, lightning (his natural element) is pure electricity, which he can use to shock enemies, and (with his extended powers) control the electrical components of MU beings. More electricity than the actual “lightning”, but with that name because it sounds more BIONICLE-esque.

Technically plasma is gas that’s electrically charged. In this case he uses this as an electrical method of “fire”, using it to inflict heat-based damage, but the gas cannot be as easily controlled to attract or to repel from electrical objects/beings, and cannot cause electric shocks.

He also has a form of “burst lightning”, natural lightning created from plasma, which he can use to supercharge an opponent to the point that they explode into plasma.

On the point of earth versus stone, I see stone as hard rocks, and earth as softer dirt, sand, and such.

1 Like

I didn’t really understand what you meant by the electromagnetic spectrum, but I’m guessing that you gave your Character 3 elements?

1 Like