~Plorg 2.0~

We should ask the Brontosarus if they know of any nearby food or shelter. back away a bit, and be prepared to book it.

2 Likes

We move behind the tree, but the Brontosaurus peers it’s long neck around the trunk of the tree.

I understand this is quite frightening. We are beasts, yet we can think and act like humans. I am happy I came across you, for perhaps we can help each other.

You ask the Brontosaurus if there is any nearby food or shelter.

Well, I do not usually find shelter. My large size tends to keep me safe. But tell you what: stick with me, and I shall keep you from any of those Tyrannosauruses while you eat.

1 Like

Agree to go with the Brontosaurus. Still be ready to move underneath it if it turns on me, where it won’t be able to reach me. I would be able to dodge any impending stomps if this eventuality played out, right?

2 Likes

You decide to move with the Brontosaurus. You cross the river with him, and eventually you are led to the carcass that was eaten partially by the Tyrannosaurus. You can tell other smaller raptors (yes, you realize, that is what they are called) are near, trying to take small bites, but the Brontosaurus’ steps alone scares them off.

Finally, a good carcass to eat from. Good meat. You rip off a few pieces and start to swallow, devouring it completely like an animal. This is a comfortable experience, after so much terror from hours ago. This is natural and good, you think.

But that is the problem. You think. You never realized it until now, but other beasts of your kind don’t seem to think in similar ways. They make decisions, certainly, but they are driven by instinct. Yet you understand… What is the word… Concepts? An awareness of what is good and what is bad? As with earlier, the killing of the rat, you felt a slight twinge of guilt, but that was covered by the instinct of eating.

Truly, this feels strange. The more you ponder it, the more you realize that you feel more like a sentient being than the body you are currently in. Why are you a Utahraptor? You woke up this way, but you cannot seem to remember anything prior to this. Yet your memory, instinct, tells you that you understand the cliffs, the mountains, the danger of the Big Ones, and how your kind usually act. Why does it?

Do not toast your brain, little guy, the Brontosaurus tells you. I was pretty tripped out the first time I became self-aware too.

What do we do now?

3 Likes

Ponder my existence

Cautiously survey my surroundings, to make sure that there’s nothing that could challenge the Brontosaurus, since I certainly wouldn’t stand a chance against something that powerful.

I honestly don’t have any idea how this game works, so I’ll just play along with what everyone else is doing :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Success. We check our surroundings: nothing seems to be after us. The Brontosaurus with it’s long neck seems to be keeping an eye out too. You also notice the full moon above you guys as the sun sets slowly and slowly.

How am I feeling?

You feel satisfied with the meal, but your wounds still pain you immensely.

I communicate this to the Brontosaurus, and enquire about way I’d be able to remedy this.

I’m not a doctor, he tells you, but I know the humans in the mountains have these guys called Veterans I think? They tend to heal beasts like us.

1 Like

How far away are the mountains?

We should rest for the night.

1 Like

The journey might take a few days, the Brontosaurus replies. And I agree, sleeping sounds fun. Say, do you have a name? My name is Oliver, apparently.

A name? uhh, yes, a name. I think I’m… Plorg.

The Brontosaurus suddenly gives you a terrible glance. You’re what?

Plorg, why?

That terrible word should not be repeated, the Brontosaurus tells you. It is the reason this entire world has gone to hell.

Oh, I guess you can call me Sam then. What happened to the world?

Oliver the Brontosaurus lays himself down in the grass and begins to discuss what happened with droopy eyes.

It’s a terrible story, my friend. Long ago, these scientists… They modified a version of a virus called the Flu or something. It was part of a project called “PLORG”. They injected it into a human test subject, and the flu killed him. But this virus… It spread like wild fire, killing most of the human populace.

These same scientists then decided to start messing with human genetics further to try and stop what they created, taking the DNA of many animals and hoping to counteract with the virus with confusing genetic code. It did indeed kill the virus in the end… But it led to things becoming much worse. I do not know if you can stomach what the next part of this story is.

1 Like

Please, go on

Alright, Oliver continues. My memory on this part is fuzzy, so bear with me. From what I recall, the virus was indeed killed, but it somehow still created a chain reaction in the victims. They turned into ravenous monsters, ones with claws and animal-like teeth, preying on them and destroying the settlements. That is why the humans are hiding, from what I can see.

You ponder for a bit as you start to close your eyes, and then ask, “Are we… the victims?”

Oliver muses. I doubt it. But it is very strange how I remember this story. For as long as I know, I’ve been a Brontosaurus. Perhaps something else is going on. I guess we will see. Anyways time for some napping.

The night passes. You dream of the hunt, of chasing down the greatest of the Big Ones with a pack of other Utahraptors and eating from it’s flesh. Seems like a fond memory.

Yet there is another fond memory: watching this happen. With nearly child-like wonder. A fascination with nature and how the old dinosaurs once roamed the earth. To see them again was incredible! But it could not be for long, because it was dangerous.

You wake up, and immediately notice the pain of your injuries returning to you as the beating sun hits against you. You look around, and the Brontosaurus is standing over you.

Hi. I guess it’s time to head for the mountains. You ready?