Pohatu GWP MOC Contest Entry: Boxor (76245 + 40581 Alt Build)

“I’m an engineer, not a poet. Besides, a practical name will be easiest for you monsters to remember. I’ll call it --”

“-- BOXOR!”

Like plenty others, I ran out and bought the Ghost Rider mech set the minute Ransom Ferm dropped his stunning Exo-Toa alternate build made from it along with the GWP Tahu display. On the other hand, something else came to mind. The Boxor was the sole 2002 set I missed out on as a kid and became my grail ever since, so I thought I’d take the opportunity to finally add it to my collection with the tools at my disposal.

Though it’s far from a spitting image, and perhaps a tad top-heavy for the old rock 'em sock 'em robot, I was eager to keep as many details from the original as possible (color placement, Nuhvok head crest, wires and joysticks, etc.) without resorting to any illegal techniques or straying too far from the simpler GWP style. For how poseable this guy can be and how much room there is for Matoran pilots to move as well, I’m pretty content with the results!

Wanting to retain at least something adjacent to original set’s step-and-punch function, the only non-System pieces from either set that I used were an axle and a pair of bushels to use the SCCBS elbow as a swivel joint. The 1x 2 plate with one clip keeps the swivel from spinning all the way around, while a notch made from the shield and telephone pieces secures the arms in place for display when raised.

Last but not least, though I don’t quite have step-by-step instructions on the ready quite yet, I hope this breakdown helps offer some insight for anybody looking to tackle this alt build themselves.

Despite the name of the thread, I’m really not here to win as much as I wanted an excuse to get around to making a Boxor MOC like this. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Having already been lucky enough to receive resounding feedback and even the first prize from the Gali contest (thank you aAA!!!), I’m excited to see what else the rest of the community will come up with next now that the vehicle contest is in full swing. Hope you all enjoy, and best of luck to all the contestants!

34 Likes

This is really great! The Boxor is especially detailed and well shaped. Takua looks outstanding, nicely done!

4 Likes

I really like this.

It does a great job at keeping the shape of the original while also looking more like a modern mech. The fact that it’s a combiner just adds to it.

Did you have to take apart Tahu for the Boxor, or just the board?

4 Likes

I love the shaping here, the curved design fits perfectly with the GWP Takua

4 Likes

Love how this looks. Fits so well with the GWP style.

4 Likes

Rest assured, this build only uses the pieces from the base, not Tahu or the Amaja Nui. No Toa were harmed during the making of this MOC :wink:

3 Likes

this is fantastic!

3 Likes

TBH this is my favourite Boxor build so far. It looks like the source material with a bit of stylization (and that’s a huge plus from me), it has a simple yet effective function and to think it is built as a semi-alternate of other sets… Just incredible work.

2 Likes

Wow! I just joined the forum to enter this contest with my own Boxor, which I will post tomorrow after I clean some stuff up. It’s so interesting how we tackled the same problem and came out with completely different things. Mine is also a pure alt build of the Ghost Rider mech inspired by Ransom Fern’s Exo-Toa.

2 Likes