Pokémon's 20th Anniversary Discussion

Ok, fine.

3 Likes

Now?

I’ve never understood this mentality. Everything is a rip-off of everything. The thing is, those franchises came out at the same time, both of their full names also meant something completely different and each one has a very different core inspiration and concept.

Pokemon was inspired by bug collecting, adventure, and little capsule machines over in Japan.

Digimon was inspired and made by the same people who made Tamagotchi. The idea was to have these little digital pets that existed in cyberspace, because in the 90’s technology and the internet was just starting to become available to certain people, and was quickly becoming that big new thing.

It’s also important that you all understand that there is no such thing as an original idea. Everything is always built off of other concepts, and that’s a good thing. The best thing about being social living beings is that we can share ideas with each other and borrow them, adding our own spin.

2 Likes

I understand, I’m just working with everyone’s mentality atm

2 Likes

SO you can transfer pokemon from Red blue and yellow to sun and moon. that means One can do the Mew Glitch in R/B/Y and get a mew in sun and moon without hacking or needing an event!

2 Likes

I personally want Missingno. :wink:

1 Like

I would do the glitch but I’m afraid of breaking my game. I have the original Red game but I have to play it on my N64 due to lacking a Gameboy. And catching mew using Pokemon stadium can render the cartrige unreadable. I got blue on the VC for my 3ds. I’m doing the mew glitch though, I’ve done it successfully on red.

Freaking trainers that cheat and get a level 16 Raticate, when Rattata evolves at level 20. Like, what?

Of course, nothing compares to Lance and his several Dragonite across several game entries that are below level 55 (the level dragonair evolves at, although in RBY his Dragonite is at level 62, so at least THAT part of it is legitimate) and one of which knows the move Barrier in RBY.

The guy apparently likes to cut corners, which is probably how he moved up from being an Elite 4 member to Champion status within the time of two years.

1 Like

Wasnt there an event recently where you could get a dragonite that knew barrier?

There was, but that doesn’t make it legitimate. A Dragonite still can’t legitimately learn the move Barrier, and the Dragonite you get from that event has the original trainer (OT) Lance.

So I’m pretty sure we all know which Dragonite that is. :wink:

Time to tell lance to hand over that Gameshark or whatever he uses to hack.

Ikr? Every other Champion kicks the protagonists butt through fair means, but all Lance cares about is winning and climbing to the top. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was actually the secret head of Team Rocket. Maybe all of his Dragonite are genetically modified, and that Giovanni was his second in command, and he used him as a scapegoat. That’s secretly why Team Rocket was able to come back in full organized force in gen II, and it’s also why Lance not only easily became the Champion, but also has several Dragonite, all of which CAN’T evolve at the level they’re at.

I want Cynthia in Sun and Moon, because she was a freaking awesome character.

In the Manga, Lance was a bad guy

1 Like

The 20th anniversary is a way they make me spend more money. I’ve bought the card box sets they are realsing and might buy other stuff later on.

1 Like

So like, I’ve been replaying Pokemon Black, and that game freaking punishes you for using special attackers, no joke.

1 Like

Really? How so?

Almost every offensive Effort Value giving Pokemon you encounter gives off physical attack EVs. The ones that give off special attack EVs either have an awful encounter rate, or appear at the celestial tower (which is towards the end of the game). Just doing normal grinding in the game makes your physical attack spike, while your special attack will barely budge.

That makes special attackers without any good physical moves useless, and the ones that do have physical moves will be subpar at best.

1 Like

I’m plying through Emerald right now.
I don’t know if it’s just me, but it feels like there’s a higher chance of moves critting/missing or not.
I’m consistently missing Rock Tombs (horrible move in that gen, only 50 power and 80 accuracy?) and Steel Wings (70 power, 90 accuracy), even with out getting Smokescreen’d.

2 Likes

Not to mention that split-type attack isn’t a thing. ex: (all ghost attack are physical)

I don’t know what Pokemon game to replay, I bought a plush and thats about it. I should build a LDD moc eventually.

I feel that Digimon had a better anniversary than Pokemon, while Pokemon gets a single film and a game release that doesnt really celebrate the show as a whole… Digimon meanwhile gets a series of films that are getting released as ‘Digimon Tri’ - a series that brings back original characters and continues and shows them in the best way.

Meanwhile Pokemon gets a game that focuses on a new area with new Pokemon and barely anything else. The only thing for older fans is Pokemon Go, which is mostly a cash grab, and potentially the 2017 movie ‘I Choose You’

1 Like