Revelations in the Element IDs of early BIONICLE

@KDNX congratulations on this amazing analysis! It nicely compliments what I have been doing in Rare Kanohi research topic. It is nice seeing multiple people reach same conclusions independently :+1:

You and @Wolk created this insightful chronology of the thought and production process and it gives context to the patterns of the mask frequencies we see in the wild.
If we go back to this picture:

The reason why the Matatu and Ruru are not fully in the updated Turaga colors is clear now - it is because of the late secondary color decision.

Also, and this only occured to me now - the Hau, Pakari and Kakama seem to be Medium Blue in this display. Ithought it was just the lighting, but on the second thought, I think we are looking at those ā€œ12 color stageā€ masks.

Your analysis also answers another question: ā€œWhy do we not see the great masks in the remaining two Turaga colors?ā€ The answer is because as you said, the 12 color stage was halted before the ice and earth secondary colors were finalized.

But here is another thought: How do prototype masks play into this? All of the parts discussed here are final molds, but there are many examples of masks in colors whose color was among the last to be decided, in quick prototype form. Dark gray Ruru for example. If they already had many Ruru test runs in different colors, why not just try the final secondary colors on final retail molds instead of going back to 3d print prototyping?
Not to mention that the prototype Toa sets had prototype mold masks, but in the final colors and shape allocations. What I mean by this is that despite what the order of masks in Toa colors here might indicate, I donā€™t think the mask shapes were ever going to be swapped around between Toa. And there is also concept art supporting this (though chronology alignment of these two might be tricky).

5 Likes

Personally, I do think itā€™s just lighting, comparing it to the other Medium Blue in the picture.

Good point.
bild
What makes me hesitant regarding the late prototype molds is the lack of the transparent Rau. Iā€™m curious if it has an ID. Itā€™s possible? But no way to confirm it at this time. They donā€™t look 3D-printed though, I suppose?

Looking at my two noble Huna, and comparing it to the violet one:

My blue one is pretty much the same; heck, the mold number is even 1-02.
Looking at my copper one, it is very different on the inside.

• On the blue one, there are four stumps surrounding the stud attachement, however on the copper one, the bottom one is greatly diminished (barely there at all).
  • The design ID is written below the attachment point, while on the blue one it is to the left, opposite of the mold number.
  • For the copper mask, the mold number (in this case 3 and 01) are instead written with the 3 on the left side, and the 01 on the right.
  • The design & mold numbers are bigger on the copper mask.
  • The copyright mark on the inside of the forehead is lower on the copper mask.
  • The injection mark, found on the front, in the second ā€œmouth-holdā€ from the top, is recessed on the copper mask, but protruding on the blue one.

All the design work and shaping is the same, as is the code (7-OS). My point being, much like with the basic 3001 system bricks, the masks did see revision under the same design IDā€¦

6 Likes

Interesting. I believe there were some posts somewhere about Huki and Pohatu Kakama having similar discrepancies.
Is it possible that the position in the injection mold and thus the mold number have something to do with these slight changes? Just a thought, no evidence on my side. The answer is likely no, but I wanted to make sure.

5 Likes

No idea! Definitely needs a bigger sample size for research. Iā€™m not sure what my blue Huna would have originated from, but the copper masks were produced in 2001, later than the power pack. At that point the Bohrok were well on their way.

5 Likes

I will go through some of my masks to add to the sample size then.

UPDATE: I have already found something. The silver and golden masks found in mask packs of 2002 have an extra 5-digit number in them when compared to their 2001 counterparts.
2001 have - the designer code (3-LT etc.); copyright symbol Ā© ; design ID (identity of mold/shape) and the mold position number (e.g. 2-02).

2002 have - the designer code (3-LT etc.); copyright symbol Ā© ; design ID (identity of mold/shape) and the mold position number (e.g. 2-02); unknown 5-digit number (43095=Hau, 43096=Miru).

Note that this does not correspond to element ID (combination of shape and color), which should be a 7-digit code.

At least in case of Miru, the copyright symbol is sllightly smaller in gold/silver variant and these also lack the line under the chin of the previous iterations I will add pictures later if I get to it).

5 Likes

Looking at my own collection:

Kakama:

• Both my gold and dark orange one says 3-02. The dark orange has wedges on the insides of the cheeks and forehead that are not present on the gold one.

Pakari:

• Light blue 2-01, gold 1-01, orange 2-01. No discernible difference.

Kaukau:

• Trans-Blue 1-01, Gold 4-01, Silver 1-01. Iā€™d be rather surprised if these were different.

Akaku:

• Ditto. 3-02 Silver, 2-02 Gold.

Hau:

• Infected: Text at the bottom ridge, TINY! 4-01.
  • Gold: 4-02. The same text is still present, however there is more text above the attachement point. 43095ā€¦ My first thought was 42031 which is the Chrome Hauā€™s butā€¦ no. My chrome Hau is the same as the infected one; 2-02.

To complete the set, my gold Miru is 3-02. And yes, I see the 43096 too.

:thinking: Is this why we donā€™t have IDs for them? Because theyā€™re using a new design ID? Thatā€™s huge! Why do they do this? I donā€™t see any on the other 4 though. If it has to do with material, why donā€™t the copper masks, trans-Ruru, and the neon green Miru use other IDs?

Curious if a comparison between the NA and EU copper masks could bring anything.

6 Likes

Wait, so the other gold/silver masks outside of Hau and Miru donā€™t have these extra numbers?

I recall the lines you mention in the Kakama comparison - must be similar difference to the Miru chin line I mentioned.

So the mold position is irrelevant it seems so far.

5 Likes

Yeah. I think the mold as a whole would have been updated.

Seems like for most there are 4 positions, just like the Hau Nuva, and 2 molds, as seen with the Kakama, Akaku, and Hau. The differences are happening within the same mold-position combo as is the case with my Kakama.

Edit:

Soā€¦ the whole prototype thingā€¦ I have to kinda assume that, since the molds did change, those old ones with the codes on front have to be using these IDs tooā€¦ Why would they be doing dark grey Ruru before deciding on going with a dark grey Ruru?

But then, that doesnā€™t line up with the Sand Tarakava. Why is the prototype of the Tarakava using a mask that is newer than the masks worn by the final Tarakava? That doesnā€™t make sense.

Thereā€™s also the fact that the Toa Mata limbs in grey appear earlier, alongside all the other colors of themā€¦

To add even more confusion to it ā€“ We have seen the yellow Hau with the code on front ā€“ in 2003! (Probably reusing an old prototype though.)
bild

And again, where is the trans-blue Rau?

Also, when were the marbled Miru produced? :confused:
bild
bild

6 Likes

Some big news again over at the research topic:

6 Likes

Looks a lot like these are straight-up prototypes rather than finalized parts.

5 Likes

Yep, they are, I think all of them. It is fascinating seeing that some of the masks predicted to exist in the final form (based on the sheet) also exist in prototype form.
Also I posed this question in the other topic: Is that Mahiki bright blue (23) or violet (110)? It seems too vibrant of a color to be just blue.

4 Likes

Looks like just regular mata blue to me

4 Likes

Looking on the inside of those dual mold Miru would tell us if they were made before 2002 or after based on the info we have gathered in this topic. But that would be a manner of contacting the owners of those masks.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. It looks too blue and dark though, but you never know with violets on camera. Reminds me of dark blue-violet / Dark Royal Blue.

The white Kaukau, yellow kakama, purple voodoo arm, light grey ā€œspurā€, and teal axestand out to me as things we donā€™t have IDs for. Wonder how the axe compares to the Lewa prototype. The dark grey Hau as well, given that wouldnā€™t be a thing until 03, and this one has a code.

Speaking of the IDs, Iā€™m thinking that the code-on-front masks have to be the first (or second?) iteration of the mold for the Ruru and Hau to make sense ā€“ at least if the material of those is the usual (which would mean theyā€™re molded, which obviously means they have to have had molds).

Thereā€™s also the fact that among the initial Toa Mata parts are Kopakaā€™s and Onuaā€™s limbs in the greys, and thatā€™s before any maskā€¦

I think that on a smaller scale, theyā€™re not all that useful for determining when decisions were made. I figure a lot of these were added in several bulk orders that may not have been entered in exact chronological order of when they were made, or something along those lines. I.e. not an organized queue.

Also, some instruction manuals come before the parts that they include, such those of the HF 2.0 heroes, or the Toa Mataā€™s. They were probably revised, just like the molds?

Asked Black Six about the Miru; time to wait and see. Not sure if he still has any.
Edit: Nope, he doesnā€™t have them anymore.

5 Likes

Thanks for the effort. I think all of the parts on the newest picture are prototypes (not final molds).
From the ones I can tell for sure:
orange Matatu
white Huna
black Huna
dark gray Rau
dark gray Hau
light gray Ruru
yellow Kakama
medium blue Pakari
tan Miru
teal axe
gray foot addition
purple toa arm

The rest I canā€™t definitely say I see the giveaway signs of prototype parts (from this specific picture), but considering those are in minority, it is safe to assume all of them are indeed prototypes and not final molds.

4 Likes

Another part we canā€™t verify the state of, nor have an ID for: Teal Onua claw. (might be painted given some of the other parts here).

5 Likes

Was just doing my once every few months BZP check and fell down the rabbit hole a bit and ended up here.

This write-up is incredible, itā€™s amazing to see things like this still being done after 20 years, and reading about the possible origins of the EU Misprints was great. Props to everyone involved.

Has anyone had any follow up regarding the Medium Blue Kakama, or the new set of 5? I got in touch with the guy who had two of the Kakamas, one was sold, one not for sale. Came with a random used Toa purchase, no further follow up with the previous owner. Located in Denmark. Whoever bought it must have paid a lot, do we know who it was?

Doesnā€™t seem like thereā€™s been any further follow up on the 5 piece either. Guy has Twitter DMs off but I DMed on Insta, no response as of yet. Seems like itā€™s always the same story much like the Brown Komau, got it in a random lot, friend said they got it from a mask pack etc. Iā€™m dubbing them the Infinity Masksā€¦ rare, beautifulā€¦ and one person probably shouldnā€™t own them all :joy:

7 Likes

Welcome to the rabbit hole!
There are three medium blue Kakama owned by two people - though based on your information, now there are three owners, one for each mask.
These things, unsurpsiringly, come almost exclusively from Europe. Denmark and Sweden seem to be most common sources.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Boards.

Itā€™s impressive how much has been uncovered in a very short time. Also happy that I mightā€™ve been right all along about the peach ruru

4 Likes

Makes sense, not too uncommon to move to another Scandinavian country for work, assuming these are ā€œsouvenirsā€ from former LEGO employees.

6 Likes