Self-Moc: Innodence II

“The toa I thought I knew as Kanoh extended his weapon, charging into battle against the local military. The way he moved was like he was a whole other person, his mask flowing between several as he searched his arsenal for a calix. I could have sworn for a moment I saw what seemed like a cheap imitation of some ancient mask.” -Liav, toa of psionics

Toa Kanoh, a toa of sonics, and his crew tossed aside their titles in shame after dooming a settlement of matoran and breaking the toa code. after decades of exile following the great cataclysm, he and his 15 followers boarded the interplanetary space shuttle “The Empress,” landing on a planet crawling with the decedents of glatorian whom were left behind on Mata Nui’s great journey to make room for a large sample of rahi. While most of his crew was in cryosleep, he and his deputy, Liav endured the great exodus. However somewhere along the way, Kanoh snapped, locking himself in his quarters, hiding under a makeshift fort, drawing maps, and making detailed plans for a planet he had never seen before. Upon arrival, Kanoh rehabilitated himself over a season. the following season, his plans fell into effect and his crew embarked on a campaign to secure their position in an open desert, interrupting in-progress heists only to take what they needed. When the native glatorian-like species questioned who he was, he claimed the title Innodence the second, leaving them to spread knowledge of his well organized attacks.

Innodence bears his mask as the mask of memory, Kanohi Paxoa, which backs up and stores all objective and subjective memories of it’s wearer(s) and allows for instant retrieval. removing this mask removes all information not originating from or stored by the user. in addition he bears a kanohi calix, a kanohi elda, a mask of concussion, a mask of recall and an depowered mask of life of unknown origin (none pictured).

just for fun, I decided to show how his armor is put on.

in terms of how he’s made, nearly all of the parts that go into him are either technic or first gen bionicle, with the exception of a few four long axels with stoppers used in the wrists and ankles. I tried to keep nearly every part custom and avoid larger arm/leg pieces in favor of building them up using socket joints spanned by technic half width beams, and ball joints suspended by lift arms carefully connected and supported by the construction.

despite the spindly and haphazard look under the plating, he still holds up in most spots, save the chest armor.

the chest armor is secured using a loose fitting axel through some silver turaga legs overtop the shoulder plates and secured over the forward chest plate and heartlight (in blue), it’s crucial that the shoulder pads aren’t secured by an axel to provide some manuverability of the arms when the inika upper arm shells are mounted. I like to keep most of his chest structure a secret, as it’s not easy to take apart and put back together again, and it is quite involved. just know that it’s actually very sturdy. his lower back armor is actually of minor structural importance as it keeps his upper body upright on the single ball socket connection, allowing for swivel, but only minor bending.

his arms were a tough one to work out, but after a year of tinkering, the upper arms actually are sturdy and dont fall out of socket like they used to. his elbows may look odd, what with the two ball joints independent of either the upper or lower limb, but since they are held by a bushing (which has purpose) on one side and the stud end of the three long axel with stud end on the other, it allows for a little more posability and is more structurally sound than the shoulder joints (we’ll get to that later on).

the inika upper arm shell simply attaches to the turaga hand and while it is a tight fit in the back with a full two long axel sticking out, it holds up pretty well. the bushing on the elbow mentioned above is actually to secure the elbow inside the metru foot gauntlet, which gives it a bit more strength, but the gauntlet(foot) just slides into the two, two length axel hole lift arms with the pin hole on the back of the foot sliding over the ball socket of the hand, constricting some movement, but providing more saftey and stability.

while the upper legs are pretty simple, the lower legs are a piece of art, if you want to get a better look at them, I suggest you look at the third picture of this post. the feet are pretty simple but still pretty involved, and come out to allow movement of the toe reigion up and down, for dynamic posing and stability. the proportions on the upper and lower legs are at a slight disparity, but that actually works out in my favor.

the leg armor consists of a hordika foot spanned by lift arms plugged into a turaga belly piece, so pretty simple stuff. it is secured by pin holes as well as a secret method in the toe of the foot that may or may not be two, two length half width lift arms. the lower legs are armored with two pieces, silver mahri shoulder pads connected with pins, and overtop that, an upsidown nuva chestpiece (which perfectly notches into the back of the hordika foot and around the edges of the mahri shoulderpad) connected by the axelpiece. the notching of the foot and chestpiece actually span some of the proportions and cheat the eye to make it believable.

overall, the armor really fills him out and gives him the look of a paladin of some sort.

and despite the conflicting armor pieces in the shoulders, he’s able to move his arms above his head!

he does look his best from the front, and while some may find the elbows obscene, they only really suffer from a few angles such as the one above.

here you can see some of the ways I got around the restrictions at work: the shoulder pads raising as the inika upper arm shells push the out of the way, the elbows twisting forward to keep the hand level to the ground despite the slight raised angle, the shin armor deceiving the eye, and the back foot’s toe bending up to give the impression he’s walking forward. in this particular shot, he’s actually balancing all of his weight on one foot believe it or not.

and now, for his weapon.

innodence’s weapon actually hasn’t changed too much since it’s third itteration. its some cross between: an axe, a hammer, a mace, a spear, a hooked glaive and a scepter, and can be extended as seen in the first image. it’s hollowed tip allows for resonating vibrations to project concentrated sound waves to blast back opponents, while the rest is just brutally metal for the sake of being metal.

in these final three pictures it’s demonstrated that innodence can indeed lift his weapon above his head, and since the elbow is secured with the gauntlet, the weakest link is actually the shoulder socket, which when mispositioned, just sorta flops down in some cases. the final picture also provides a decent look at the back (and the weakest part of the appearance the back of the legs) showing how the legs are constructed as well as some other insights into the arms and even back.

hopefully you enjoyed an in depth look at my self moc. I’m still working on getting some masks from shapways as well as designing some masks to make as well, but I don’t know how long it will take to be honest. if you liked this, feel free to check out some of my older stuff on deviantart. I welcome you to give your thoughts on this moc in both areas it excels and falls short. this is my first moc posted here, but if you made it this far without skipping, thanks for taking your time to look at and read about the fith version of my self moc, Innodence. it’s been a long time coming since late 2008 when the first version was made.

edit: looks like the last three pictures are a little compressed by the site, opening them in a separate page seems to fix this.

52 Likes

Holy smokes, that upper chest is gorgeous. Not really many suggestions I could give to improve on this, other than maybe adding an armor piece or two to the back of the legs.
Consistent color scheme, bold choice of a mask that works surprisingly well, and unique build that helps highlight the complexity.
Solid 9.5 outta 10 if ya ask me. Nice job

2 Likes

thanks for the advice, I’m still trying to figure out what g1 armor piece could fit back there, but I’m having trouble seeing where a connection could be without redesigning them pretty heavily on the lower part. I have some idea of what I want to do for the back of the upper leg, but it’s a matter of making it work and still be posable. I’m gonna see about putting in some work later this month. while I too like the mask, I’m working on moving my character away from the mask of life while deliberately making it a mere relic in lore, so hopefully I can get some good mask replacements colored correctly to give it it’s own personality separate from toa ignika. I do worry sometimes that the silver is a bit much, but I tried keeping the silver to just armor parts and a few other places.

I love how greebly this guy is.

1 Like

thanks! there’s still a few areas I could work on, but he was a really fun build to pull off.

1 Like

In the torso area, it looks good but some textures on other parts of the MOC don’t fit together too well.

1 Like

pretty much, yeah!

1 Like

Super cool

@SwagMeister yeah, the while the shin structure fits together, that area and the lower body armor don’t match the texturing of a lot of other spots. its a little limited by what’s available in G1 silver shells, but I’m working on that and the back of the legs.

@JordanWill thanks, I appreciate the kind words!

Edited for Double Post - Waj. Sorry 'bout that @Eljay, we must’ve been editing at the same time :stuck_out_tongue:

Doesn’t really have anything unique going on,but yknow it’s not bad.

1 Like

yeah, his color scheme is a little drab. I didn’t have any light trans-blue bohrok eyes, otherwise I would place those in some places to color it in a bit. his elbows, lower legs and feet, and upper torso are probably the most interesting places due to the custom construction with technic, but otherwise, his character and overall humanoid design is at best a bit droll. do you have any specific suggestions or observations that could help with prettying things up?

1 Like

If your interested, I am hosting a MOC contest for complex MOCs like yours. There haven’t been any entries yet, but it’s still open.

Prizes are MOC posters like the one posted below, how-tos, and YouTube channel requests.

One thing that may discourage you, however, is that the entry process is a bit complicated. It requires 6-10 photos of your MOC in the same pose (and zoom) for the poster. Additionally the MOC itself must be humanoid, and, for the most part, custom built. All that aside, I really think you should join. MOCs like this are really close to what I’m looking for in the contest.

As for advice, there are a few things I can say about your MOC. First, I’d suggest that you give the skeleton (or body without armor) a little more structure, particularly the limbs. Currently, even if this skeleton does provide support for the MOC, it doesn’t appear to. The result of having a skeleton that doesn’t look stable usually appears as either an empty suit of armor, or a bunch of metal with a super magnet at the center. While your MOC doesn’t struggle with this too badly, it is slightly notable. Second, I would address the color scheme. I did see some comments on this earlier, so I’ll try not to say too much. I would definitely agree that the trans blue should be more prominent throughout the MOC, but I’d say there isn’t much else wrong with the colors in this MOC. All that said, I do like this MOC. There is a very well put together overall feel to it, particularly in the chest (I love the way you constructed it), and you made the weapon and mask play into the theme as well with regards to its complexity.

Anyhow, I sure hope you participate in the contest, and whether you do or don’t, continue to have fun MOCing!

Wow this is pretty cool it just flows so well when all of the armor is on it just works so well.

Really paladin like, I love it. My only dislike is the hands, Ive never liked the look of those hand pieces. :confused:

@JordanWill I’ll consider the contest, but I only just started up on these boards and I would like to get the ball rolling if thats alright, if I change my mind before Saturday, I’ll let you know. as for your suggestions, I can definitely see what you mean about the skeleton and the color scheme, so I’ll keep working on that when I get around to it. I think I could cover up some of the back of the thigh using the unused pin hole at the bottom, a crossbeam and a type of turaga hand.

@Vicroen thanks for the kind words! I do think that the texture on the lower torso and lower legs kinda stick out, but that really can’t be helped all that much in terms of parts selection for g1 and color scheme. also some armor shells like the lower front torso are pretty structurally important =P

@AwesomeJoel27 yeah the hands are definitely a niche thing. I always imagined the toa with two fingers and a thumb since the mata days with the two axel hole slizer hands, and felt the exo-force method just made fingers that were disproportionately long for the size margin I was going for. they do suffer from the inability to pose them, but they add some texture and shape to the hands and do stabilize the weapon and allow for the blue pin securing point to act as a thumb.

Nice MOC.

Some really sweet custom stuff going on here! Those armor-up photos are a cool and unique idea (I can just imagine them snapping on Iron Man-style). Love the shoulder spikes! The weapon is sweet too (I’m glad somebody finally found a good use for those ice spikes). Some critiques:

• Upper legs feel a bit gappy in the back
  • Nuva armour on the shins sticks out a bit too much on the sides, though that’s not a big deal.
  • Colour scheme is reasonable, as others have stated. Though color-blocking is a bit messy in places. If you’re going for a “suit of armor” aesthetic, I recommend trying as much as possible to have a black skeleton/under suit and have silver armor on top of that. It’ll provide a nice contrast and flow to the model. Speaking of flow…
  • Several of the silver parts have clashing textures. The Nuva chests feel a bit too smooth for the rest of the model and the Barakki armor in the lower chest just feels really out of place with it’s pockmarked motif. The upper chest also feels a bit messy (though maybe I’m just biased because it doesn’t have that smooth breastplate feel of most CCBS MOCs these days).
  • I understand the hands are your choice, but you wouldn’t happen to have any black pins, would you? The blue ones stick out like sore thumbs (no pun intended).

Lastly, if you’re gonna be doing a lot more MOC photography, I recommend setting up a simple photography set-up to get clean well-lit pictures with plain backgrounds.

http://www.zerodesigns.in/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Product-Photography.jpg

1 Like

@legomaster1378 thanks for the feedback!

•also kudos for making the connection to iron man, definitely one of my inspirations early in the 4th iteration of innodence and led to the inclusion of the heart-light in blue.
I’m glad you like the shoulder flaps? spikes? pads? they’re sorta gimmicky but they do indeed look good. also glad you like the weapon, it’d be a shame to change it after all these years.
• I completely agree with you on the back of the legs, especially the thighs, and I’m working on a fix that involves a turaga leg, some technic beams, and likely a metru leg shell, I’ll have to see how it works out this week when I get time for mocing.
• I also concur with your judgement on the barraki shell on his lower torso, and will be looking into fixing that for the next iteration, it will just take a little time to re-redesign the structure to be more bulky and allow for more appropriate greebled textures, which may require some orders from bricklink among some other things.
• speaking of bricklink, I should be able to order some black axel-pins, which will serve not only for the thumbs but also that one tan piece in the chest that’s been a pain to look at.
• as for the nuva armor, I do see what you mean as it is out of place, so I will look into parts or constructions that serve the same purpose. I’ll try to see if there’s some shapes of g1 and pre g1 shells in silver that serve the right purpose of extending the knee caps up into the hordika heel and also match up in texture as well as cover a decent amount of the upper shin. I’ll keep at it.
•for color blocking, I’ll have to disassemble an old memento to get back some black lift arms and what not, but by mixing around a few pieces, I should be able to gather enough black to give him a more consistent color. the lower arms would need a brick link order of “Technic, Axle Connector 2 x 3 with Ball Socket and Axle Socket with Rubber Insert” in the appropriate color. but should definitely be achievable given time.
•finally for the photography, I don’t know what I can do about that since I usually only get a few nonconsecutive hours each week to really do anything to merit something even remotely like what that looks like, but I could probably cobble together some art supplies to half ■■■ a shoddy looking studio, and with the new led lights I screwed in in my room, the lighting should be a bit better, so hopefully mark 6 will improve upon these things and look great!
your advice has been invaluable, and I look forward to implementing what I can and getting the color blocking down better!

@TBT_Emerald thanks for the kind words! I hope to have another old moc of mine up on the boards at some point, it’s still a little rough around the edges and needs some small fixes before it’s ready. it’s spent some time in a bin as of the past year.

Ignikaman returns!

…for the what, fifteen hundredth time?

Okay maybe that’s an exaggeration but after being on MOCpages for even a short time I’m kinda tired of seeing silver and black MOCs with the Ignika. Or MOCs with the Ignika, period.

Still, the design itself while not superb looks very solid and stable, which I can respect given that most of my designs may as well be glass.

1 Like