Signs That One Is New To The LEGO Hobby

I had this idea long ago, but I was too lazy to actually make a topic about it. Basically what you do here is point out things that non-LEGO fans or those just getting into it often do. Personally, it’s easy to tell that someone is new to LEGO when they refer to sets as “kits” or when they pluralize the word LEGO.

3 Likes

I dunno, I know a diehard fan who didn’t believe me when I said it’s LEGO, not “Legos”…

I suppose ignorance of common building terms such as “SNOT”, “Burp”, “System”, etc.

2 Likes

When somebody says that Bionicles aRE FRIGGIN ROBOTS- …

Uh.
Yeah,what @Hawkflight said,mostly.

4 Likes

When someone says that a LEGO brick can withstand however many pounds of pressure.

I have had too many pieces break on me to believe that.

2 Likes

I’ve been building all the Legos Kits since 06 and I don’t know what those mean D:

If you don’t know who Ole Kirk Christiansen is, then you’re probably a Newbie in the LEGO Hobby.

Another big one is if they don’t know the year the first LEGO Minifigures were sold.

Finally, if you don’t know where The LEGO Group was established, then you are the newest of the new.

http://i45.tinypic.com/do72uo.jpg

3 Likes

Years? Only a nerd cares about memorizing those.

This is new to me.

5 Likes

I’m not a Nerd. :cry:

It’s a Big Ugly Rock Piece. :wink:

2 Likes

Oh c’mon. You’re here.

Wouldn’t that imply you’re a nerd? Which, based off of your logic, means you know the year the Minifigure was first sold.

1 Like

No.

But I do know what year almost every BIONICLE piece and color came out.

I just don’t like memorizing years that didn’t happen in my lifetime.

1 Like

Do you at least know the year LEGO Star Wars came out?

Of course.

(it’s the year before BIONICLE. How could I forget that one?)

1 Like

When someone likes the angry clone face.

yes… I intentionally said

because

still,

When someone doesn’t know basic Lego shape terminology like bricks, plates, slopes, and studs, instead simply calling them “blocks”.

3 Likes

When someone doesn’t know what a cheese slope is.

1 Like

Y’all may not get this, since this applies more to System (specifically LEGO Star Wars), but…

When someone says that $20-30 is too expensive for a LEGO set…And then I laugh in their innocent face, because I’ve been scarred by years of spending +$100–heck, sometimes +$200–on sets.

5 Likes
  • Stepping on LEGO bricks frequently is a common LEGO newb behavior (master builders may on occasion, but they know either to watch their step or build on a table).
  • When building a wall, not interlocking the bricks and instead doing stacked vertical columns.
  • Not using SNOT
  • Calling it “Legos”
  • Calling them “blocks”
  • Not knowing color names (LEGO has some odd names for their colors…Sand Blue??)
2 Likes
  • Starts a post with “Hey everyone! [Insert Name] here, coming at you with…” like it’s some kind of big review.
  • Making fun of AFOLs and TFOLs for their age (which is more immature than the names they are called).
  • Thinks that bigger is better.
  • Appreciates tie-dye, rainbow-colored MOCs that would only truly suffice if they had #kronkiwongi plastered onto the picture.
3 Likes