Star Wars: Stranded on Zoma V - Sign Ups (OPEN)/OOC Chat

listen

son

have you even read book of ramblings

1 Like

Which is true ā€¦ and why I didnā€™t mention anything about ajtaztā€™s critique of the combat scenarios. The hangar situation was/is legitimately confusing to me. I mostly just made it up in my head and ran with it, as I suspect most people did ā€¦ and there was very little disconnect, right? We were able to play off of our own varied compensations for the lack of context.

But tactical accuracy, at least in the terms Iā€™m considering you to intend, is, to me, highly periphery if not irrelevant. Itā€™s sci fi. Science fiction. Science fiction. Those who are aware of real-world tactic and strategy should be all means be allowed to RP in a way that reflects that, but it shouldnā€™t be expected in any way from those who donā€™t.

So what if it doesnā€™t make sense? Iā€™ve said this so many time to so many people: itā€™s a role playing game. The minute you start to enforce an expectation of how things are supposed to be done is the minute it starts to become unfun.

3 Likes

No, and I mean, I get that, I donā€™t whatsoever expect anyone participating in this RP to have, for example, my standards of real-life military accuracy with my actual combat training. By ā€œtactical accuracyā€ Iā€™m mostly referring to technical/tactical aspects with relation to the Clone Wars as a setting.

*edit: for what itā€™s worth Iā€™ve definitely been practicing ā€œClone Wars tacticsā€ and not ā€œreal world tacticsā€ in my writing so far. If you are strafed by an attack fighter patrol while climbing out of the wreckage of your beached carrier, and you follow my writings, I am not liable for damages.

3 Likes

*violent coughing
*looks at star wars wargame draft

hmm

Being serious though, if this is true, I definitely understand it, especially being someone who enjoys both RPs and wargames. Winger has a great point, this is supposed to be a fun experience, not exactly a game of tactics, however some of the looseness of it can be a slight problem for me at times (ex: Boomstick teleporting from outside to bridge to armory)

1 Like

if you think this is bad now wait til wannabe starts being extra racist

3 Likes

and Legacy starts yelling at people for no reason

You have a tendency to do that, so perhaps if I communicate through a mix of tones and have it confusing, it will make more sense.

Iā€™ll start here as your example has a fatal flaw; several technically. GoodGuy2006 chose to ignore and reject the other roleplaying opportunities presented to him. He could have stuck with the group by the bridge and help rescue the Jedi. Or he could have gone to the front and joined up with the clones there. He wasnā€™t sticking Boomstick back into the game, he took him out of the game, threw him into another section entirely, for whatever reasons he may have.

And if you read back what I said, I still gave the option for his character to meet up with the people he wanted. Is it a few extra steps? Sure, but it has proper cause and effect. If we donā€™t need that, why canā€™t we just teleport into the droid base right now? That sounds a lot more fun to me, that sounds like the section I would love to insert my character into roleplaying. Letā€™s forget this lame part and get right into the dessert.

Would that detract from the game in any meaningful way to just teleport to the droid base and start blasting everything to pieces? Clearly not, because it was for the sake of enjoying the game. Itā€™s the fun part, who cares about pacing? All fun all the time is surely way more important.

You heard it here first folks, chess should be abandoned because it has rules and an expectation of how it should be played. I should always be able to clock my opponent in the face and break their nose at any time. There is never a reason I should follow an expectation or rules of chess, itā€™s unfun.

Which is a strange thing for you to say, when you volunteered to help write some of the rules and guidelines for how to RP. Itā€™s almost like there is a set of expectations and rules for what players should and should not do for all RPs in general. And that you have in no way set specific expectations in addition to those general ones in your own RPs. Or made ā€œpuzzlesā€ and elements of the game that cannot, under any circumstances, be bypassed without very specific actions. Amazing.

You almost state it like itā€™s a problem or somehow poor writing. Very odd to pose mechanical writing that way if this is all just a game. You did say, several times, that this is just a game, yes? Then you only need a mechanical input. After all, the mechanics are the only important part of a game, they are what define a game. Canā€™t have a proper game without them.

Perhaps you should reread what happened. There was disconnect and confusion. Which is why TheMOCingbird gave some corrections to the events. And yes, most players donā€™t want to be the one to bring up the issue or confusion and settle it outside of the game. Because in this age, that is seen as rude, offensive, and/or just slows down the game. Most will try to flow with or correct it.

If you pay enough attention, I also do that. Youā€™ll find I write entire arguments inside my RP posts. Because itā€™s faster to argue it out in-game to keep a constant state of flow. Will things advance faster this way? No, it would be quicker to settle it outside of the game and will only drag on the events in game if the other player(s) greatly disagree. However, it will give the illusion of it.

As do you. However, the only thing I request of a game, and fellow players, to do things with proper cause and effect. The play as the reality is requiring them and trying to work within that their own desires as well.

I donā€™t expect other players, let alone characters, to make the correct decisions. I donā€™t expect perfect play. I donā€™t expect seriousness (have you seen Malaco? Does that looks like seriousness to you?). However, it can still be done in a followable progression.

Besides, youā€™re telling me that Buoy stating he could ride a Vulture Droid is an accurate, tactical, serious and competent thing to do?

Imma point out quick in case others dont know/havent figured it out, @GoodGuy2006 is rather new to roleplaying (though it still dosent fully explain his jumping around)

Taking another read through some of this, @Winger is kinda giving slightly extreme examples, and @ajtazt is interpreting them as such, meanwhile the same is true in reverse to a lesser extent. can we just find a place in the middle and get on with the game? taking time to do all this is making it less of a fun game and more of an argument, which is not what I signed up for. Flaws have been pointed out and recognized from a couple of points of view, lets let the GM and individual players find what works for them and roll with it.

boomstick is like bonnie in fnaf 1 he just goes places with magic because why not /s

Hence my heavy sarcasm and sass in the follow up response. I know thatā€™s not what Winger really means and figured that, if it must continue, at least it should be entertaining.

It didnt quite come off that way, sarcastic, yes, but also sort ofā€¦ spiteful in a way?

i agree
it was a lil too :rage:

Caustic.

Good word.

Does it? It sounds pretty boring to me, to skip all the fun bits that the GM has prepped for us. Honestly, to answer your question, it sounds like itā€™s a detraction from the game in ā€¦ oh yeah ā€¦

ā€¦ the highest possible degree.

But you know what isnā€™t? A break in continuity or context in a game where there are players of vastly varying skill and styles as writers, storytellers, and RPers.

You heard it here folks, chess and non-systemized freeform play-by-post Role Playing Games are one and the same. The exact same kinds of rules govern what makes them fun. There is l i t e r a l l y zero difference between them. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Squat. None at all.

Logical extremes, amirite?

There are expectations.

They just arenā€™t ā€œkeep track and align each and every detail, and the unavoidable and expected breaks in continuity that any sane person would 100% expect and be prepared for in such a game are unacceptable and out of bounds.ā€

I have ā€¦ no clue ā€¦ what you expect from this kind of project. I was going to write another paragraph, but it would literally just be a quote from my first post that you didnā€™t respond to:

Have you considered that there doesnā€™t need to be that kind of continuity, for it to be enjoyable? Especially in this medium?

I mean ā€¦ You could think about it like that. The same way you can say that people who believe there isnā€™t any absolute truth believe that the non-existence of absolute truth is an absolute truth.

I believe the right way to play an RPG is to not play or write with the pre-conceived notion that there is a right way to play it. There are certainly helpful ways, and wrong ways, but meticulous continuity, and the lack of it, respectively, are not them, in my experience.

ā€¦ No? I literally didnā€™t say that.

Itā€™s a role playing game, and now I sound like a pedant, but the delineation is the most important one in the argument.

Because itā€™s a game, there are expectations and guidelines. But because itā€™s a roleplaying game, those expectations and guidelines are in no universe the same as, as you mentioned, chess.

If you want something that is that meticulous, go find a Dungeon Master who knows the rules really well.

This medium is its own thing. Itā€™s legitimately special. Random people taking on roles and trying to tell a story. People who are just nerds, rarely if ever trained or experienced writers or storytellers.

It seems blindingly obvious that continuity issues would arise.

4 Likes

that theres the thing people, were in an RP, not an RPG. the G part implies that its some sort of game system, which this has none whatsoever.

also seriously, can we just be done with this before it gets worse?

2 Likes

now i want to see a chess tabletop role playing game

4 Likes

dont give me ideas

3 Likes

speak for yourself, junior

3 Likes

Alright folks, sorry for the lack of activity, been busy lately. Hereā€™s a crude map of the cash site (I know itā€™s not super high quality, but you get what you pay for :stuck_out_tongue: ) The ship landed in a less dense patch of jungle, and cleared out some of the era by, well, landing on it. So it is in kind of a clearing surrounded by denser jungle. And you can all make out what appears to be a mountain range in the distance, in the direction of where the turbolaser fire and Vulture droids came from.

One thing I wanted to add to Winger and ajtaztā€™s discussion, while will try to make things clearer and make more sense going forward, it is still an RP, and some wiggle room and stretching of reality will always be necessary with something like this. I hope this isnā€™t disappointing ajtazt , but the way I enjoy RPing is when the RP being a simulation is secondary to it being a group storytelling project, so sorry if people feel like I misled them when making this if that isnā€™t what they get. Again, thatā€™s not to say I wonā€™t try to make things make more sense in the future, I definitely think thatā€™s necessary to an extent in order to tell a satisfying story, but I still my not deliver on the super realistic/consistent experience expected by some of you. Iā€™ll try to get a new GM post up soonish, and thanks again for bearing with me, lemme know if you have anymore questions. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That sounds good, but Iā€™ll try to leave a quick clarification.

Simulation is not against storytelling, itā€™s what leads to stories. Break it solely for sake of plot or visual, it will take many readers/players out of the world and story. And as expressed by Keplers earlier, Iā€™m not expecting super realistic, but it should still line up with how the reality of Star Wars works.

Trust me, Iā€™m all down for fun nonsense. I had trains use canyon walls like a half-pipe over in the Transformers RP. But thatā€™s within the sort of fun the world of Transformers allows.

Also, thanks for the map! Very helpful.

1 Like

7 Likes