Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree on most of those.

I suppose thematically, that is correct, but the way it was presented with the mind reading deceit was pretty unique. At least in the movies I’ve seen. Also, while I’m sure killing the over-arching antagonist early on as a red herring has happened before, it’s not as common as if they played him straight. [quote=“Kini_Hawkeye, post:438, topic:20045”]
The Force/Psychic/Astral Projection plot isn’t exactly original either.
[/quote]
I’ve never seen anything like it. So maybe that has happened in another movie or plot, I don’t know. Seemed original to me.

I’d say it isn’t often common when a somewhat major plot point is finding out who someone’s parents are, like in this case. Especially given that this is a gigantic franchise with common bloodline revelations. The characters in the prequels weren’t trying to discover Anakin’s lineage. They happened upon him and his mother. It’s a different scenario.

But usually when this happens, the protagonists are right. I haven’t ever seen an instance where the horrible officer was actually correct. I’m sure it’s happened, but I don’t think it’s common.

I apologize if there are tons of movies I’m forgetting or haven’t seen that do these things, in which case my bad.

While I personally didn’t like some of the plot points in the movie, I still liked the story overall. But the big thing about this movie is that from the end of this movie, they can go ANYWHERE they want with the story, which makes me very excited.

3 Likes

Im going to be honest and say it’s been years since I properly watched movies so my case study examples are half remembered :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyone wants to back me up here please do.

I feel like I’ve seen the “I’ll kill the big bad with the help of the slightly less big bad who has some form of relationship/feelings for me, specifically by him tricking the big bad into lowering his guard.” before.

Astral Projection plots are a lot more common in Anime/less blockbuster-y films so I’ll grant you that It wasn’t original so much as it was original for star wars since we had never seen force projection before, but overall the idea is a bit trope-y.

I think the parents plot point is a weird one because they still have the opportunity to save it. It would be incredibly tropey to save it because “bad guy lies” is… well… yeah. but they could still save it.

Usually with the disobeying orders thing, the Commanding officer is either comically wrong, or simply misguided. In this case it was misguided, but I feel like a lot of more modern movies have stopped going the “comically wrong” route.

1 Like

Episode 8 was cool, but it copied so much plots from other episodes.

But not really, nice to look at, spits in the face of star wars characters. Ok movie, bad Star Wars movie.

1 Like

Maybe Luke (which is debatable), but otherwise who?

1 Like

Oh yeah, Luke in TLJ is literally the only version I actually like of Luke.

1 Like

Like, and Finn. He just joined the resistance, and then he’s just like, hey, “I running away!”

1 Like

To save his friend/crush, who was the only reason he joined the Resistance in the first place

2 Likes

He reluctantly joined in tfa, it’d make sense he’d run away at the imminent threat of death

1 Like

Yeah, after literally risking his life for someone who believed in the resistance.

@ToaNoah_Wafflemeister It always bugged me that he only cared about Rey, and not rescue, she was fine. Not to mention it was a cowardly and self centered move.

1 Like

People aren’t pure bastions of selflessness

Still not a move I approve of, not to mention it would have gotten him killed.

So?

So would staying for all he knew.

1 Like

If it weren’t for her connection with Kylo, she wouldn’t have known they were being followed, and therefore would be dead as soon as she reached the Raddus, at least in Finn’s mind.

1 Like

And then the rose/Finn thing was executed somewhat porely.
But the worst part of the movie in my opinion is admiral holdo

2 Likes

What?
@Ace Well, it looks like LegoDavid may have met someone more aggresive than he is. And pal, I think this thread is for unpopular opinions. The resistance was doomed any way you put it, Finn just chickened out instead of, oh I don’t know,sticking it out like the soldier he is?

I wouldn’t call myself aggressive.

You posted a rebuttal, I posted a counter rebuttal, tis’ how an argument works

Didn’t he desert after his first battle with the first order?

1 Like

He’s still a soldier. People have training. Obviously he’s a coward and now in hate Finn.
By the way, at the end of the movie he flips and decides to die for the resistance.

She annoyed me.

I didn’t like her.

1 Like