State of the Contests Update

There have been several purges, yes

Air Saber.

You look at this thing and tell me it wouldn’t do just as much damage as Tuyet’s sword, and it’s wielded by Lewa.

9 Likes

I have been part of a few of said purges because of funny jokes.

I think they meant more have people tell them what they noticed and give them little cliffnotes so it is easier for them to decide if it should be allowed or not

2 Likes

I’m glad mods eventually came around to deal with this.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, Air sabers make a good Barbed Broadsword.

I do feel the best way to handle the contests moving forward is to have them on a Google sheets form for voting. That was its accessible, and less of a headache for management.

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

Ngl, this foreshadowing of her betrayal and reflection of her morals makes it even more appropriate for her to have it, if you think about it. With or without the sword though, I suppose she could still look terrifyingly beautiful as portrayed. :blue_heart:

3 Likes

about right from what eljay said State of the Contests Update - #49 by Eljay

If the contests are to continue, I think they need to be set on an indefinite backburner. Maybe go through with the Tuyet contest and stop altogether as people are already working on Tuyet. I feel that that’s the best choice.

Also no one has managed to respond to my post where I asked what community groups are toxic detractors without specifically naming double.

Nothing Technic can’t solve lol.

I mean people are already working on lariska and marendar and chiara and orde too lol

3 Likes

It’s a good substitute, yeah.

I personally like Perp’s take on it most.

15 Likes

Yes but they’re not part of the “current” contest. I think maybe cancelling half would be a good compromise if it were to happen.

Claymores are still broadswords

I feel like I just committed a crime having not ever seen Perp’s take on my second favorite Bionicle character of all time omg this take looks astonishing!

edit: i said “Specter’s take” lol sorry am blind

3 Likes

I used to be anti-contest, fairly anti-TTV, and firmly of the opinion that Eljay and Mesonak can’t run this contest properly if their lives depended on it.

The absolute crapshoot that has been this thread has convinced me that the contests need to continue to the day I die and that all of the “detractors” need to be banned.

Seriously, for goodness’ sake. Your response to “we’re banning toxic people and cracking down on dissent” and “Double is barred from the contest because of repeated poor sportsmanship” is to embody and exaggerate the very traits that led to the decision? Good job proving their point, idiots.

24 Likes

That’s actually Perp’s

1 Like

I’m probably just shouting into the void here, but I might as well put down my thoughts in the hope that somebody in a position of authority agrees with me -

I voted for the contests to happen, and despite the negatives, they’ve undeniably brought a lot of positives to the community. We’re getting good MOCs and good art for characters that most fans have completely forgotten about, and it’s breathing life back into appreciation of minor story elements that only arch lorenerds cared about for a long time. That’s undeniably a good thing. I had a set of Hagah MOCs for years, but I never bothered to show them to anyone else until the Hagah contests rolled around. My Gaaki even managed to make it to the second-to-last round. When the winners came out, I liked them better than my own, so I’ve begun ordering parts to improve my own builds, and making them even more enjoyable to have on my shelf. As a collector, this has only served to make collecting Bonk characters a better hobby, and I appreciate it for that.

So, I would like the contests to continue, or at least a version of the contests. The fact that the winners are inducted into BS01 irks me a bit, because that means that any further improvements onto the builds of the winning models become retroactively “wrong” in some way. For example, my original Pouks entry wore a Kaukau, and despite the fact that I’ve rebuilt him to be almost totally identical to the winning Pouks, I still display him on my shelf with a Kaukau. However, I now do so in violation of canon, which is… just a bit annoying for me personally.

As a lot of people have said above, the real problem is with the people involved here, not the contests themselves. I notice a lot of people, from all factions and subgroups and cliques within the fandom, including ones I’m a part of, taking things that may genuinely irk them, and using them as fuel to pointlessly bicker and harass and accuse others. I’m not saying that no one has valid points, I’m saying that the level of vitriol and Discourse™ surrounding these is something that belongs in a dumpster-fire-tier political spat on Twitter, not a fandom community gathering. Maybe it says something about modern internet culture that that’s all people know how to do these days, I don’t know.

I understand Eljay and Meso taking an extended break from the contests; I’m taking a break from my own particiation in a well-known fan project for similar reasons. I quit all of social media to get away from perpetual perma-bickering on the internet, and now it’s followed me into the place where I engage in escapist fantasies about magic robot knights. The people who try to “sabotage” the contests because the fandom “doesn’t deserve it” are just part of the problem; being a jerk to other jerks still makes you a jerk. I genuinely don’t know what to do about this other than to just weakly suggest that people “kinda shut up or whatever,” since what am I going to do, police people’s emotions on the internet? I don’t think this half of the equation can be solved.

On the other hand, the management side of things is one that can be changed. I’m glad that Eljay and Meso are open to new people assisting them. I get the argument that they should have asked for help a long time ago, and I do wholeheartedly agree with this. However, I genuinely just want to see the best magic robot knight win here! We’re all in this dumb hobby together. This stupid bickering serves no one and the only prize is empty clout and a net decrease in the amount of happiness in the world. I say let the contests go on, with a more robust, healthy, self-supporting mod team. I say listen to community complaints about the rules and the management and failures to apply rules and apply that new manpower towards fixing them. I say work to make this something everyone can enjoy! I would wholeheartedly support some kind of effort to share authority on this with other community figures, so the burden is more evenly shared.

In conclusion, because apparently this is an essay or something, let’s all just work together to make some cool dumb magic robots, because that’s why we’re all here in the first place.

22 Likes

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll technically
it has small barbs on the front and big on the back side
so i’m still gonna use it for my tuyet

8 Likes

Counterpoint: a sword like that would actually suck and be worse at killing people than a regular sword.

8 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s due to all the trolls or how all over the place this topic have become but this has truly become an out of body experience, I can feel my body leaving for another plane of existence

10 Likes