State of the Contests Update

I’m probably just shouting into the void here, but I might as well put down my thoughts in the hope that somebody in a position of authority agrees with me -

I voted for the contests to happen, and despite the negatives, they’ve undeniably brought a lot of positives to the community. We’re getting good MOCs and good art for characters that most fans have completely forgotten about, and it’s breathing life back into appreciation of minor story elements that only arch lorenerds cared about for a long time. That’s undeniably a good thing. I had a set of Hagah MOCs for years, but I never bothered to show them to anyone else until the Hagah contests rolled around. My Gaaki even managed to make it to the second-to-last round. When the winners came out, I liked them better than my own, so I’ve begun ordering parts to improve my own builds, and making them even more enjoyable to have on my shelf. As a collector, this has only served to make collecting Bonk characters a better hobby, and I appreciate it for that.

So, I would like the contests to continue, or at least a version of the contests. The fact that the winners are inducted into BS01 irks me a bit, because that means that any further improvements onto the builds of the winning models become retroactively “wrong” in some way. For example, my original Pouks entry wore a Kaukau, and despite the fact that I’ve rebuilt him to be almost totally identical to the winning Pouks, I still display him on my shelf with a Kaukau. However, I now do so in violation of canon, which is… just a bit annoying for me personally.

As a lot of people have said above, the real problem is with the people involved here, not the contests themselves. I notice a lot of people, from all factions and subgroups and cliques within the fandom, including ones I’m a part of, taking things that may genuinely irk them, and using them as fuel to pointlessly bicker and harass and accuse others. I’m not saying that no one has valid points, I’m saying that the level of vitriol and Discourse™ surrounding these is something that belongs in a dumpster-fire-tier political spat on Twitter, not a fandom community gathering. Maybe it says something about modern internet culture that that’s all people know how to do these days, I don’t know.

I understand Eljay and Meso taking an extended break from the contests; I’m taking a break from my own particiation in a well-known fan project for similar reasons. I quit all of social media to get away from perpetual perma-bickering on the internet, and now it’s followed me into the place where I engage in escapist fantasies about magic robot knights. The people who try to “sabotage” the contests because the fandom “doesn’t deserve it” are just part of the problem; being a jerk to other jerks still makes you a jerk. I genuinely don’t know what to do about this other than to just weakly suggest that people “kinda shut up or whatever,” since what am I going to do, police people’s emotions on the internet? I don’t think this half of the equation can be solved.

On the other hand, the management side of things is one that can be changed. I’m glad that Eljay and Meso are open to new people assisting them. I get the argument that they should have asked for help a long time ago, and I do wholeheartedly agree with this. However, I genuinely just want to see the best magic robot knight win here! We’re all in this dumb hobby together. This stupid bickering serves no one and the only prize is empty clout and a net decrease in the amount of happiness in the world. I say let the contests go on, with a more robust, healthy, self-supporting mod team. I say listen to community complaints about the rules and the management and failures to apply rules and apply that new manpower towards fixing them. I say work to make this something everyone can enjoy! I would wholeheartedly support some kind of effort to share authority on this with other community figures, so the burden is more evenly shared.

In conclusion, because apparently this is an essay or something, let’s all just work together to make some cool dumb magic robots, because that’s why we’re all here in the first place.

22 Likes

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll technically
it has small barbs on the front and big on the back side
so i’m still gonna use it for my tuyet

8 Likes

Counterpoint: a sword like that would actually suck and be worse at killing people than a regular sword.

8 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s due to all the trolls or how all over the place this topic have become but this has truly become an out of body experience, I can feel my body leaving for another plane of existence

10 Likes

so, how come some legitimate points were flagged and deleted yet all this unrelated discourse about tuyet isn’t being moved somewhere else?

6 Likes

I… I think I just entered absolute he-double hockey sticks-zone…

I think the contests need to be rehauled a bit in some way. Maybe better organisation of them would help a bit…

But hey throwing out Double from participation is one of the best things that were done

9 Likes

So serious question here. Would someone be allowed to use 3D printed copies of normal parts for an entry to count as painted parts?

3 Likes

Exactly. Tuyet discussion is off topic. It’s just to make the thread “wholesome” again.

3 Likes

its not about killing its about pain and fear

5 Likes

I think that’s hilarious out of context

2 Likes

A bit but the main canon contest thread is till closed I think lol

making a new thread takes less than a minute

1 Like

I mean, 99% of what a Toa needs to do to apprehend a bad guy is gonna hurt and be scary. A poorly-designed sword isn’t really a step up from just a giant cloud of fire.

1 Like

Simple. I’d rather this thread contribute something we could look back to for the future of these contests-- a trade of info of a Canonization Candidate and a start of a positive thread with healthy discussion.

Better than arguing and complaining to no foreseeable end over a contestant officially barred from future contests.

8 Likes

I would like to point out that even if you dont agree with it, no amount of complaining is likely to reverse it so why bother?

5 Likes

I never voiced it before but I wonder if annonomous polls would be better.
don’'t know how that would be facilitated on ttvs end. But it would help people vote only on the merit of entries.

4 Likes

I think a poll referring to what the future of the contests should be is a good idea as well

2 Likes

That will be happening after the Lariska contest, last I checked.

4 Likes

That is a phenomenal work of art, as is expected from Perp3tual, and I love how the blade makes use of design motifs from her Mask of Intangibility. But as the contests for Helryx and Artakha made clear, the iteration of the character that is being depicted is that of the most current appearance in the prime universe. There is more precedence for Tuyet to be depicted with a red crystal and a pouch than a deadly sword.

That’s all well and good, but this is Bionicle we’re talking about. Greg has said that fish breathe water, along with a whole host of other interesting things. Do they align with real life? Perhaps not. Are they the fact of life in the world of Bionicle? To quote Greg in a word: “Sure.”

10 Likes

Is that the one after Tuyet? If so, it sounds like a good idea.