State of the Contests Update

As far as I understand, the auditors are voting on a per-entry basis to decide what needs to be changed (which may explain why Stuubh had nothing to say about Norik’s incorrectly-colored torso). If that is the case, and correct me if I’m wrong, this is not the way to handle it. All issues need to be addressed, not just the ones the auditors feel like addressing.

2 Likes

I imagine accuracy for Norik and Iruini is lower priority.

3 Likes

I totally agree, but it’s still contradictory to the rules to change them.

1 Like

see yes this is the part that worries me. nobody should be voting on if something is against the rules or not and especially not on a case by case basis. that can lead to wildly inconsistent rulings. how i assumed this whole auditor thing would go is that they all give eljay and meso a nice little word document of potential rule breaks they noticed per entry and then meso and eljay would look over them and make final decisions. the auditors should be auditing, not making decisions, and the fact that they are talking to each other at all and not each acting independently in of itself is worrying me.

3 Likes

Well the rule 4e you are referring to only apllies to the mocs but I agree wholeheartedly that canon compliance on Norik and Irunii should also be followed.

This is 100% true.

if auditors are doing this behind the scenes they should stop or Meso and Eljay should intervene before things spiral. I think it can be okay for auditors to communicate and share their finds just to have an overview of what problems they’ve found (Note: Auditors who has an entry in the contest has no say over their entry for that specific contest). Their findings should then be directly presented to Meso and Eljay for approval. What Meso and Eljay finally decides upon cobbled with their own findings is what they can then post as feedback on the entry topics.

Edit: That’s my 2 cents but I’m out of the loop so maybe I’m spitting nonsense

2 Likes

yes but they have already been posting telling artists things to change with no sign that I can see that higher ups have been roped in.

I think this does also leave potential for auditors to be peer pressured to drop a potential rule break they found from their final report tho

2 Likes

I would say, they should treat it like a brainstorming session, in that they are not allowed to judge each others findings. Eljay and Meso will then have the final say on the collectively gathered data. Leaving out or purposefully omitting any auditors suggestion (only exception is if an auditor gave feedback on their own entry) should lead to the responsible party’s firing.

2 Likes

I think also they should hopefully be all sending their own reports not just one consensus report. A consensus report in addition to individual reports would not be the worst thing tho

2 Likes

Glad somebody else noticed that too, it really bothered me.

Honestly trying to start trouble by naming people and calling them out in-name was absolutely uncalled for. I really hope that this trend in Nak & Jay comes to an end, it’s done nothing good for the community and only burns more fuel to the flame. Your allowed to disagree with people, I get that, but there comes a point where one goes too far in-doing so, and this is no different.

2 Likes

Three days seems like a short time, taking into consideration that perhaps not all artists are checking the forum every day.

3 Likes

I agree. In addition to this, I thought Eljay had mentioned they’d be given ten days?

1 Like

On the first post in this topic, Eljay said a week

However, he’s said since that it’s three days, and so that’s what we’ve been going with.

5 Likes

Seems short. Especially if anyone drew their entry on paper and not in digital software

Very true! Truth be told, the 7 days vs. 3 days discrepancy is purely our bad and an honest mistake. Our auditors did nothing wrong following what we said about 3 days, but it was just an error on our parts. If people need more time to fix their entries, we’ll absolutely give them the full 7 days from being notified as we initially said in the post. :pray:

The rest of my post is a big tangent from relevant topics so feel free to ignore if you’re not interested, but I didn’t want to let this post get lost in the abyss

While I won’t reply to your comment in full as a lot of it is your personal opinions and feelings (and it would be the height of arrogance to try and talk you out of them), I do have some insight to share on this point because I find it interesting. Not necessarily to change your mind, but to at least offer my perspective.

The incident you’re referring to, I believe, is the episode of Nak & Jay where we discuss RSG and their rationale for not participating in the canon contests. In it, we mention several RSG members by name, specifically those in an administrative role who were directly responsible for making the decision. We discuss the logistics of our calls where we had discussions with them, express our disappointment at how they were handled, and yes, we directly called out several individuals (one in particular) who was instrumental in making the final decision.

Why? Why would we do that? It’s multi-faceted.

First of all, tonality. It’s important to establish the context in which we speak about people and the reasons that we do. We’re not a hit piece channel, we don’t seek to tarnish peoples’ reputations or anything like that; even when we disagree or have issues with a person or their conduct, there’s a greater purpose to us speaking about them, usually a sense of respect or admiration that we feel has been damaged by an action, a statement, or conduct of theirs. A great example of this would be Christian Faber (admittedly a larger scale than community members, but stick with me); before our interview, I took great issue with how he was handling his project and his instagram posts about it. The image I had in my head of this person and my respect for his work was clashing with what he was saying and doing in the present, and I discussed it extensively in the public eye because… well, discussion is a core part of the TTV Channel. Through actually having a conversation with him, we were able to get to the bottom of things, and while I don’t agree with everything he’s saying still (NFTs come to mind), I have a much greater understanding of his goals for his project and I respect his outlook much more than I did before our genuine heart-to-heart.

The reason that is relevant is because we have great respect for RSG and always have; even when we’ve disagreed with things they’ve said or done as far back as 2018, we hold them in high regard as a community project striving to contribute something back to the fandom. I personally am a super huge fan of their 3D printed masks, and I think the artists and modelers they have working in their group are some of the best in the fandom. When we spoke about our disappointment over them not participating in the contests, it was colored in that context; respect and admiration, and I had no qualms about emphasizing that point during the podcast repeatedly and at length. I love RSG no matter what their personal thoughts on us are, and I wish them nothing but the best; I was disappointed they weren’t interested in allowing their masks to be used.

More than that, however, we felt that their decision to not participate in the contests was short sighted, stubborn, and founded in incorrect and easily disputed logic. The conversations we had with them were circular, stemming from several of their members disagreeing with a specific rule we had set in place. In a final desperate bid to come to a mutually beneficial agreement, one RSG member worked with Eljay and I to draft a proposal to their management which could help solve the issues they had and serve as a compromise. The proposal was rejected out of hand when it was presented, without their management even reading it. Further, the RSG member in question was verbally berated for even engaging in a dialogue with us whatsoever about the issue.

There is a very good reason to mention the issues we had with specific people by name, and it is exactly that; because our issues were only with specific people. Attempting to give an explanation of why RSG was not partnering with us and present that to the curious public who wanted to know, WITHOUT mentioning specific people by name would inevitably lead to us generalizing the entire project (as people so often mistakenly do with us), assuming they act as some sort of hive mind, a group of people who agree on everything. That simply isn’t the case, and it wasn’t from our experience. It was a select person and the inaction and poor leadership of another which led to talks breaking down, and to not mention that specifically would be painting the entire group in a negative light for no good reason. If I have critique to share on a person’s logic, I will address them as an individual, not generalize the group they are a part of. That being said, the podcast was not meant to cause anyone to go mob a particular person as some sort of “call to action” (which, to my knowledge, did not happen), nor was it meant to “try and start trouble” or “to cast shade.” It was, quite frankly, an open and honest conversation about Eljay and I’s feelings, an explanation of our thought process to the curious fandom, and a behind-the-scenes look at the events which led to our specific ruleset, of which people were VERY curious about.

And that’s really the crux of it, and my closing point; Nak & Jay is not a show where we prepare “PR statements.” It’s not a show where we attempt to act formal and play our role as “community figureheads.” It’s a show where two friends and long-time BIONICLE fans talk about themselves, the projects they’re involved in, and the fandom. We don’t claim to be always right about everything we talk about, and we are not perfect and make plenty of mistakes. If you want us professional, that’s what the TTV Message Boards are for! If you choose to engage with us on the TTV Channel, you get the unfiltered us, for better or worse. I have no interest in playing politician on the TTV Channel; I would sooner stop doing the contests in a heartbeat than I would censor my opinions or the ability to freely discuss things on a platform that I hold dear, and I like to think I’m capable of balancing being honest and critical with a sense of respect and admiration for my fellow fans.

If anyone has ever felt offended, angry, or annoyed at anything we have ever said on a Nak & Jay, or feels resentment towards our group in general, as trite as it may seem, my DMs are open and I’m always willing to talk things over. A simple conversation can’t always heal bad blood or hurt feelings, but sometimes it can at least help bridge gaps of understanding and help patch up some wounds. I promise, I’m very capable of checking my ego at the door and having a reasonable talk. :pray:

16 Likes

That’s a perfectly reasonable and understandable argument. Once again, I’d like to call attention to this :stuck_out_tongue:

I definitely wasn’t aware of the full extent of the situation that went on, and knowing some of the guys from RSG, I could understand the argument they made and knew them not to be totally unreasonable. I still think saying ‘one person did this’ rather than mentioning names would have been more ideal and would have hopefully avoided generalisations - assuming the conversation didn’t run so long that repeatedly saying ‘this person’ and ‘that person’ wouldn’t get confusing.
I think the other thing I took issue with was Eljay’s regarding of your discussion with RSG as ‘the most unproductive’ discussion (I may be paraphrasing), which, with Dorek involved, seemed very unlikely. Naturally it was hard for that not to come off as blaming RSG as a whole. Especially considering RSG were then effectively banned from ever entering their masks in future.

While we’re on the subject, I think if/when the contests resume, you guys should reopen the stage for 3D modellers to enter/withdraw their creations from use in future contests.

3 Likes

The difference here is our conversations with RSG leadership were entirely unproductive, and in some instances reductive in regards to the treatment of their colleague. With Dorek, our correspondence also included Swert, and we were able to come to a compromise. That is a productive conversation.

It’s worth noting as well, that you’re utilizing the rationale Meso expressed in the earlier post. You specifically cite Dorek - not BS01 - as being the issue, which was our expressed intent regarding the leadership of RSG during Nak & Jay.

Our doors are always open to restart a dialogue with them. They refuse so long as we mandate 3D model files to be freely accessible if someone uses a mask of theirs. Compromises were offered, attempts to find a middle ground were made - their leadership refused at every turn, and their stance remains firm as of Brickfair Virginia 2021 when I spoke to them in person. As such, the masks may not be utilized. Which is a shame.

Maybe. Let’s get through the next few months before reopening this discussion.

8 Likes

accommodation without monetary recompense

Never underestimate creativity of the community…… This specific point you are making here is completely nonsense.

4 Likes

I think I know who will get a shout out next on Nak&Jay

However I think I have to side with Hazash on this, while you maybe don’t intend to start a rally against a person. You as influencers on youtube should be aware that not everyone takes away the same message from your videos. This is the internet after all its the same place where people think things like “Cancel Culture” and ruining lives is “cool” and are encouraged for doing it.

That doesn’t mean you should censor yourself, though but being tactful and censor content is 2 different things.

2 Likes

Lariska will most likely end up being an awesome-looking nostalgic 01-style MOC made out of slizer parts :sunglasses:

9 Likes