Stuubh's Canon Contest WIPs

Intro

Hello all.

I just discovered these canon contests a few months ago, and have been absolutely fascinated by them. As such, I’ve spent the past few months developing the MOCs to enter in future contests. I have most of the designs figured out, however due to me being away from home and me being a cheapskate, I don’t have all the parts needed to finish off every character. And I’m not going to post a topic for an unfinished character. So while we wait for the future contests to begin, I won’t fill the message boards with a new topic for each character, but instead dump renders and photos of them all here. I’ll be updating this topic as new designs come and old designs are completed and properly photographed. But for now, Enjoy!

Orde

Sequentially from Oldest to Newest:

My image of Orde uses no physical weapons, as he doesn’t need to. He’s a master of his psionic powers and too stubborn to admit that sometimes he could use one. To make up for this challenge in battle, he bears the mask of conjuring. This Kanohi gives Orde the ability to program new powers. A very powerful tool for such a physically challenged individual in combat.

Design notes:

• Helryx / Toa Mata influence
  • Cocky - lightly armed
  • Disturbingly - thin
  • Athletic, slightly agressive. Yet not too physically empowering…
  • “Med. Blue” to distinguish him from water Toa
  • KhingK Mask of Conjuring

Varian

Design notes:

• Metru build - it makes sense in canon
  • “Med. Blue” to distinguish from water Toa
  • “Wicked-looking” Ninjago propellers (65184) in same color as brain stalk
  • Blades can be articulated
  • “Flat Dark Gold” Rhotuka launching shield with “Med. Blue” Rhotuka
  • Rothanak Inorganic Kanohi Calix

Toa Nidhiki

Design Notes:

• Mashup of Dark Hunter Nidhiki, the “Metru build” and Krakua
  • Scythe resembles DH claw
  • “Just Green”
  • Thin and almost skeletal
  • Official Volitak

Chiara

Design Notes:

• Marbled Pieces from Hahli
  • Marbled KhingK Volitak
  • Unmistakably feminine figure - yet not sexualized
  • Youthful posture
  • White Spear

Tuyet

Design notes:

• Tall and lanky
  • unhealthy and non-threatening
  • Slight hunch
  • Obsessive
  • Based lightly on my Toa Savage MOC (from same island?)
  • Looks like both hero and villain
  • Galva’s Mask of Intangibility

Zaria

Design notes:

• Top-heavy. Very.
  • Working gearbox with “slamming” motion
  • Galva’s Mask of adaptation
  • Most of the available parts in DO and Gunmetal

Last Remarks

So I guess that’s it! I had no idea these contests were going on until 2/3s of them were over, but that last third was a wild ride. These contests brought me back into the Bionicle community, and man, it’s good to be back. For the most part. The creativity of this community never ceases to amaze me. Seriously. Y’all had me s***ing bricks with the competition I was against.

While I’m clearly not happy about the contests being concluded, there is a silver lining. As MOCists, we’re all free ! No more restrictions, no more deadlines, no more competition. No more dreadful prolonged debates about Metru builds or mask variants. And every MOC is now equally canon. Unless your Tuyet’s sword barbs point upwards .

I really did have a fun time the past few months, despite all the nonsense. And I can’t overstate how appreciative I am of all the positive feedback here. While it does suck to see the contests go, clearly there are worse things that can happen.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the feedback! I truly appreciated it.

37 Likes

I think your Orde is perfect! It would definitely have my vote!

Varian looks good too, and Nidhiki also looks great!

1 Like

They look better than I thought, though they could use more tweaking.
Orde is great.

1 Like

I really like your Nidhiki, and while your Orde doesn’t really look like how I imagined him, it’s still a cool moc nonetheless. Varian also looks quite nice.

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of your Tuyet, however. The legs look awkward to me, and it looks like they’d have limited articulation. I think exaggerating her hunch even more might work well for this model, too

But overall, I like them. Good luck!

4 Likes

I like all of these, but that Orde is perfect. Really stands out while having some semblance to Helryx. I’d definitely vote for that.

3 Likes

I love your Orde and have no issues with it. I know Red Star Forge didn’t give permission to use their masks, I think their mask of conjuring is more fitting since they added a third eye which works for a psychic character.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen that model. Great idea! maybe Red Star Forge will allow their masks in the future?

1 Like

That Orde… much yes. I’ve been playing with the Mctoran pieces lately myself and was actually considering using that some torso piece for this purpose, but here it is and its beautiful. This Orde would have my vote.

As for the others?.. I would encourage you to keep playing around with the designs. Especially that Tuyet. I’m not sure it really fits the bill on what anyone really imagined her to be. Looks like a toa of Earth more than anything

2 Likes

I really like Nidhiki, but I can’t say I like the idea of Tuyet looking evil. I’ve proselytized about that plenty already.

1 Like

Your Lariska looks amazing. :clap:

Nice MOCs!

2 Likes

I really like Nidhiki; I had the same idea of trying to copy the torso appearance from his official set, as well as using his claw piece as the scythe. It’s just a shame that that chest piece doesn’t come in anything other than silver and gold.

I’m also a fan of the idea of incorporating elements of Krakua into his build.

2 Likes

So I made some changes to Nidhiki that I wanted to share. Some changes might be unnoticeable, but I promise, a lot has changed! I’m also torn between the official Volitak and Galva’s redesign… but I’m not going to make a final decision for a while. Not until we hear an official statement from TTV on the Volitak. All I know is that I prefer these over KhingK’s Volitak for Nidhiki. You’ll notice in BIONICLE 2, Nidhiki has a circular shape around his mouth similar to both these designs.

Anyway, here’s what I have:

I also started working on Chiara, our other Volitak bearer. I don’t have too much to say about her at the moment.

These have all been added above, along with a new render of my Varian. But that’s all for now. Tell me what you think!

9 Likes

Hmm in regards to Nidhiki, I like that you’d went with the choice to make his chest and shoulders like his mutated set form, but the arms are a bit awkward looking still. I think this stems from the way you have the shoulders working, opting to utilize a metru green metrutoran limb for the shoulder.
To be honest with you though, it may just work better to follow the same mechanic as the original set and have it just be a standard axle connector with ball joint. It would save on painting pieces, allow you to make limbs that I feel would look less awkward, and bear more resemblance to his Titan form-which I know was one of your goals.
His torso may benefit from something to fill out his hip section. Many options you could take, really up to you.

Nice looking Chiara, not much for me to say there. I like the marbled color scheme decision.

Nice stuff!

3 Likes

Those Metrutoran parts actually exist in Metru green! They came in a Vikings set. The only painted parts would be the Bohrok shield and the mask.

Regardless,

This is a good suggestion, and after playing around a little…

Maybe? The shoulders definitely look pretty good, but I’d have to figure out better arms.
Thanks for the suggestions!

2 Likes

Holy cow, wild! The Vikings line really does have some gems

2 Likes

I definitely like the idea of reusing the arms from the original set, but they’re a little long.

I’ll be interested to see if anyone can figure it out in time for the contest.

2 Likes

Yeah those maybe a little long. Metru leg pieces could help a little bit? Your original design wasn’t bad either, but maybe lacking armor.

orde is by far the best,
because he actually has hands, and not connectors.
use them if you want, but i personallly think that HF/glatorian hands
look better.

1 Like

The bohrok eyes on the legs look odd being the only trans green.

I love this Nidhiki design. Taking cues from the mutated set design is absolutely the way to go, and I think you nailed it with the shoulders.

Chiara is looking great too, really like the dual-color (IDK if that’s the proper term) white and blue parts.

2 Likes