Sworn Protector, Toa Hagah Kualus - Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

Hi everyone! I just want to thank you all for checking out my entry for the Toa Hagah Canonization contest that I felt like I had to share. I’m not one to be known for my MOCs. (Heck, I think this is the first ever one I’ve actually posted a topic here for.) But I really wanted to take a crack at Kualus’s design and decided to enter my rendition of the Ice Toa Hagah.

Before we dive into the MOC itself, I felt like it was necessary to explain some things about artistic choices made for this character. I envisioned Kualus to have Gunmetal/Pearl Dark Gray armor to go along with the regular Toa of Ice color-scheme to spice things up and also in coordination with the mental image I had for the rest of the team.

(Norik and Gaaki - Silver Armor, Iruini and Bomonga - Flat Gold, and Pouks and Kualus - Gunmetal)

The mask and staff however is what I decided to go with looking at which parts I had to work with so I went with Galva’s scoped adaptive Akaku Nuva and Kurakh’s staff (Staff of Rage, also the staff piece used for Rahaga Kualus.)

So, as for the consent for which can/cannot be changed in the artwork adaptation.

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses.

I do not give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art.

I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses.

Now, with all of that jazz aside, I’m going to just post the pics needed to meet entry requirements.

Metru-Build Height requirements:

As seen here, Kualus maintains a height well within the gray area of not being too short or too tall. (Shoutout to Iruini and Whenua for helping out.)

Arm Breakdown-

Torso Breakdown-

Angle Shots-

Entry Photo:

Front:

Side:

Back:

(The Staff and Shield are designed the exact same as Norik and Iruini’s.)

And that should be it! Most of the parts here are in purist colors, with the exception of the mask (3D Printed Part), the Rhotuka Shield, the secondary Rhotuka Spinner, Kurakh Staff, and Metru Thigh Armor.

(My goal here was to use as much purist parts as I can for the easiest recreating experience. :slight_smile: )

Please let me know if I need to add or make any changes to the entry, so I may fix them ASAP.

Other than that, any Comments? Questions? Concerns? Feel free to let me know in the replies and thanks once more!

Credits:

• Stud.io (Building Program)

• Adaptive Akaku Nuva - Galva

• SwampKryakwa’s Color Pack

• BioPack

• Hotel: Trivago

Thank you once again and good luck to my fellow contestants!

Edit: (Forgot to include the downloadable files/links.)

23 Likes

Feel free to ignore my nitpick, but if you’re just turning this in by digital means, you might as well just use the standard connection instead of this extra articulate method. To me it looks a little bulky with the extra armoring below the Nuva armor piece. But overlooking this, it looks quite recognizable as a member from the Hagah team. Good job.

2 Likes

Love this pose. He’s like “Ladies :sunglasses:” (or “Ga-Matoran”, I guess).

I share the same preferences when it comes to their armour colours. If your Kualus appears in the finals, I could be tempted to vote for it - though I’ll have a preference for entries which allow the metallic colours to be changed, just in case we can’t get that 2/2/2 split you mentioned. And I don’t particularly mind the mods like the extra shoulder attachments, as they can be interpreted as creative liberties with what is essentially the same shoulder armour as Norik’s.

Anyways, good luck :+1:

3 Likes

What is Kualus exactly doing in the first picture? He looks like he’s mid-air after slipping on ice…

3 Likes

Nice work!

1 Like

I imagined he’d be doing some dynamic/slick mid-air pose while firing some sort of ice blast out of his staff. Although feel free to let your imagination run wild.

That’s my new headcanon now. :rofl:

I’ll keep that in mind.

Thank you guys so much again and thank you everyone else!

1 Like

The gunmetal looks great. I don’t like the Bohrok eye on his chest, but the bulky shoulder armor is pretty cool (okay, never mind, bad joke).

1 Like

That’s the first thing I thought :laughing:

Ha I was the first like

Very nice entry! I agree with your choice to not have the armour colour changed as compared to other entries this is quite a unique colour and one that makes him look less like a Toa of light. Also from what I can tell these are all real colours so I’m quite sold on this as my choice for Kualus, can’t wait to see how this does and hopefully draw this!

Also yeah I kinda thought he was slipping in the picture…2015 flashbacks amirite? Very nice picture though.

1 Like

Indeed you were! Thank you for the kind words! Most of the parts do come in those colors with the exception of the Shield, Metru thigh armor, Pearl Dark Gray Rhotuka and Kurakh staff. (Not counting the 3D printed mask.)

I’m quite flattered that you think so, thank you again.

Haha, now that you mention it I guess it can be interpreted as homage to that, lol.

1 Like

Thank you for entering.

At this time, we can’t accept this entry just yet. We will need you to include the link to the Stud.io file and a free download link to any 3D printed/custom pieces you used. Please do that within three (3) days and we’ll be good to go.

1 Like

Fixed, it should be good to go now.

2 Likes

Cool design, good luck

2 Likes

Well…
The shoulder armor is a bit weird, I respect the attempt to fill in the gaps in the Nuva shoulders, but it just looks weird
The choice of grey (is it light grey or dark grey?) as a secondary color is an interesting one, don’t think I’ve seen another Kualus with grey.
The spear tip works pretty well, actually.

1 Like

Dark Gray and Dark Bluish Gray.