System Character and Creature Building System

For the upcoming line of Ninjago, a new creature building system is introduced. SCCBS stands for System Character and Creature Building System. This new system expands on the use of mixers in a way that resembles ccbs.

Like technic and ccbs, sccbs allows for the easy attachment of parts for character building.

Here are sketches that were proposed by the designers at the LEGO group which compares it to ccbs.

While it is nice that Lego is revisiting character building, it saddens me that ccbs is essentially dead. It looks promising but I’m concerned that Lego’s track record with knees may limit its potential.

UPDATE: Lego is also reworking socket joints for reasons unknown.

18 Likes

I don’t know how to feel about this…
On one hand it’s cool that they’re expanding the mixels technique, but on the other things are looking unproportionate and way too blocky. The knees look like they came from a 2000 set.

R.I.P. CCBS

10 Likes

RIP CCBS indeed. Shame it died so soon

I’m a big fan of this newer system, because stuff utilizing Mixel joints like this is pretty much what I’ve wanted for years. I’m really not a fan of that horrible knee “joint”, solely based on the fact it doesn’t actually articulate, but overall this system within a system has potential. It’s off to an alright start, and hopefully in the next year or so it’ll really take off

7 Likes

Whatever this is, I’m interested.
Edit:
just looked on lego.com and apparently the ball joint is for Lloyd’s dragon

1 Like

"SPRING LOADED FIST"

punchingnick

16 Likes

I’ve personally thought that the future of constraction/CCBS would be something like a refined and modernized version of the Knights Kingdom sets, mainly by way of their easier/more obvious compatibility with system. This seems like something of a step in that direction, which is interesting.

10 Likes

Toothdominoes went over the reasoning behind this on Twitter. These sets are aimed at children who are not already fans of LEGO or Ninjago. The intent is to make the build and play experience as smooth as possible, and forgoing knees and elbows is part of that. He specifically cited Exo-Force as the reason they stopped doing knees on mechs, because they found that kids complained of the mechs falling over too often and the complex torsos breaking apart too easily. Personally, I don’t think it’s outside LEGO’s capabilities to do kneed mechs in the modern day, but at least we have their reasons.

14 Likes

Personally I would prefer the knee piece to be some sort of ratchet joint, strong enough to hold in place but also rotable.

1 Like

Oh gosh that looks like it’s gonna break easily

I hate how the toes are just slope plates

4 Likes

Oh gosh that looks like it’s gonna break easily

71766leg

It’s actually quite robust, two technic brick 1x1 w/ axle hole anchored with a technic axle. The reason the dragon uses sand green technic bricks instead of normal green is because I imagine they’re leftover stock from the typewriter.

4 Likes

With actual knees and elbows, this definitely has applications, but the fixed joints have got to go.

5 Likes

But Why?!?!
Also the fixed joints are infuriating me beyond all reasonable measure.

2 Likes

um …

could someone explain why? It’s for kids, kids like it. seems like it does it’s job well enough.

4 Likes

Easy fix.

4 Likes

Those joints are finnicky as heck though, not to mention pretty weak. I guess they’d be alright for display, but they wouldn’t be practical for a playset.

4 Likes

I think lego should rework the joints so they are ratchet joints.
Somebody email lego or something.

2 Likes

If the system does indeed work it could be possible to hope for an anniversary set Bionicle after all. I just imagine how a Kardas or a Scorpio could work with this.
However a pure constraction theme is now more unlikely than ever. Ninjago even managed to assimilate that. Didn’t expect that honestly (though the mechs in the past years should have given me a hint). I would not be surprised if they released sccbs ninja (iron man style).

Edit: Is it just me or does the white mech look like Kopaka missing his head.

5 Likes

They are theologically required to update that piece every ten years. It was introduced in 2001 and revamped in 2011 (plus a failed revamp in 2008). And now we’re getting the 2021 update.

6 Likes

I shouldn’t have to articulate why articulation is a good thing. The system is only more limited without it.

9 Likes

I am sorry to say it, but until we actually get some elements that at least decently fit with the aesthetic of CCBS/Bionicle, I am not going to accept this “SCCBS” as a substitute for CCBS. It doesn’t even come close to achieving the same effect in my opinion.

6 Likes