Tabletop RPG campaign: "The Powers of Old" (closed for players)

The Powers of Old

A BIONICLE tabletop RPG campaign

Are you looking for a BIONICLE tabletop experience? Look no further!

Using the “Lost Chronicles” ruleset made by TakumaNuva (found here), we will be playing a campaign, and we need a few more players for this. We will be using Roll20.net, so please note that you will have to register for a free account there in order to see the maps, notes, character sheets, etc. This site makes everything much easier to organize.

If you are unfamiliar with tabletop games, this is how it works: You make a character to play as. This character is given stats and abilities which determine the things you can do in the game. It is much freer than traditional games, however, as you simply ask the game master what is allowed, and then roll dice to see if you succeed. You then describe your actions, as if you were telling a story.

Roll20.net handles all the stats and rolling for us; this simplifies the process.

Also: We are rather green when it comes to tabletop games, but with the ruleset in hand and a love of storytelling to go with it I’m sure we’ll end up with something enjoyable. :slight_smile:

We will start as soon as we have enough players, and everything is sorted out with registering characters etc. If you are interested: Post below, or send me a private message.

Story

Fragments of an ancient stone tablet has been discovered by a visitor to a remote island. Although he swiftly sold them for a few quick widgets, several researchers have taken interest in the pieces and the symbols engraved on them. After putting them together, it quickly came to light that half the tablet was missing; left behind on the island.

A Matoran expedition was sent by boat to investigate the issue, but since landing on the island they have not been heard from. Now six Toa have been gathered for the purpose of investigating the mysterious tablet and finding out its purpose. In the process, they will uncover old secrets, meet island natives, fight off creatures and villains alike, in their search for the missing Matoran… and perhaps something much bigger than expected.

Setting

With the island setting, we attempt to capture the feeling of good ol’ Mata Nui. We aim to provide you with the same feeling of exploration as the first year of BIONICLE did. The goal is to build a rich setting with characters you get to know over time, and as you uncover more and more of the island and its lore you will become familiar with it as well.

A lot of concepts will be carried over, however, and some will be given a new spin. It will still feel like BIONICLE.

Current players:

• Me, as the one directing the game.
  • Labouka, playing as a Toa of Fire, wearing a Kadin and wielding a scythe.
  • EvilLobsterKing, playing as a Skakdi of Iron.
  • MinusOneEighth, playing as a Toa of Stone wearing a Pakari, wielding a warhammer.
  • TurteX, as a Toa of Gravity, wearing a Matatu and wielding grappling hooks.
  • Dragonborn_Ben, as one of Brutaka’s species, wearing a Kadin and wielding a Cordak blaster.
  • Makuta Luroka, as a Toa of Fire, wearing a Kakama and wielding a greatsword.
  • SmeatyFlavor, as a Toa of Lightning wearing a Hau and wielding a rapier.
  • Scorpion_Strike, as a Toa of Shadows, wearing a Calix and wielding a polearm.
  • Loaxandar, as a Toa of Magnetism.
    Player slots filled for now.

In order to participate:
Simply mark your interest, and give a quick description of your character. Please note that this needs to be an original character, not one that already exists in the series. It is your character, so you will be shaping their experience as we go along. For this reason, make sure that you have at least a general idea of what you want them to be.

Characters
There will be six main characters in this RPG, acting as a team. For now we assume that all main characters will be Toa.

If you don’t think you’ll stick around for the entire campaign, you could also get a guest spot as a minor character. After we get a full party of players for the main characters, only guest spots will be offered.

Example of character description:
“Kopaka, Toa of Ice. White and gray color scheme. He wears a Mask of X-Ray Vision, and carries a broadsword and a shield. He has a rather cold personality, and prefers to work alone. It may take a while before he warms up to the rest of the party.”

Note that there are some rules for how much gear you can get when you first create your character. We’ll work this out before we start, though, so don’t hesitate to submit a character. First come first serve. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to playing with you guys.

10 Likes

I’d be interested, but I may be limited on when I can participate, being Australian and all that.

I’m not really sure about my character, but it would be a Toa, (Or if I’m allowed, a Skakdi) of Iron. With burn’t orange, dark gold armour. Probably carrying some kinda hook, attached to the end of a chain and if it’s a Toa, wearing a Kualsi.

Also, @Calebmar12 might be interested in this 'lil thing…

3 Likes

Sounds good.

Time zones and real-life responsibilities will be an issue for all of us, I think, but we could very well end up playing this as a mix of tabletop and forum RPG, depending on what works best.

Your Toa will work fine, but if you want a Skakdi instead we are open for that too. I don’t know what secondary power you would like on a Skakdi, but the ruleset says that you are free to choose what it is. As the GM, I would then work it out with you so it’s balanced. ^^

1 Like

I would love so much to join this, but I’m already doing too much at the moment. Maybe in a week or so.

I’m guessing I might be busy with work this week anyhow, so if we can’t start immediately (we don’t have enough players yet anyway) that is not a problem. :slight_smile:

This seems like my kind of thing, can I be a Toa of stone with a Pakari?
Good old traditional stuff, if not for the combination I guess…

Indeed you can! Do you have any ideas for what tool you would use (if any)? :slight_smile:

A warhammer, makes sense with a Pakari and the stone element to me.

(I wanna to MoC this really bad now)

When will we be playing?

We start playing once we have enough players, and we have some free time. If everyone sit in different timezones we may have to wing it a bit, but we’ll make it work.

I take it you might be interested, then? ^^

1 Like

Yes I am interested in it.

I want to be something war crazed. And big and powerful.

I plan to include both combat and non-combat scenarios, so as long as you’re down with the potential for some quieter gaming sessions too that’s fine.

The ruleset has rules for both Skakdi and “Brutaka’s sepcies”, so it lays the groundwork for larger characters. Pitch me an idea, and we can work something out. (Do it by PM if you prefer that.) :wink:

1 Like

I want to be a Brutaka’s Species named Zod. He is Black and tan. He is really prideful and easily angered and slow to forgive. But he is a nice guy once you get to know him.

If this is okay.

1 Like

All right. The ruleset says that this species can use Kanohi, so you get to choose one if you want. There will be points left over to get one or more weapons too (or you could possibly go with a powerless mask and carry extra equipment of other types instead). We can work out the details later, but feel free to mention anything basic you’d like.

The character sounds cool, and will be interesting to have along.

2 Likes

I’d love to join in, too. Question: would playing a Toa of Shadow be allowed, or would it be considered to difficult in the backstory department?

1 Like

Well he has to have a Miru.

Well I am going to play as a flying Brut. So I would think it is okay.

2 Likes

A Toa of Shadow would be fine, but some characters will likely distrust him or her due to the element. That said, it all comes down to how you play it. Please note that it’s preferable to keep the player characters on the same side (even if they end up not liking each other that much), for the sake of gameplay.

2 Likes

When in G1’s storyline do you plan on this campaign taking place?

1 Like

The setting is on an island similar to Mata Nui, but separate from the main storyline. Metru Nui, Xia, and other places still exist, but I have not given much thought to exactly when this takes place.

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for…

I’ll join. Here’s my character for approval:

Nakiva, Toa of Lightning.
Colors: Metru blue, white.
Equipment: A long rapier-like sword infused with lightning. Wears a Kanohi Hau, Mask of Shielding.
Personality: Outgoing, but can be easily angered and tends to overreact to certain situations. Likes meeting new people.
Backstory: Working on it…

How’s this sound so far? I’m not planning on doing anything to crazy with the backstory, so don’t worry.

1 Like