Tabletop RPG campaign: "The Powers of Old" (closed for players)

Sorry.

But we should sometime…

@Leoxandar
Just stick their names on the Feats list, off to the side on the Powers page. Horrible layout, I know. x)

@EvilLobsterKing
If you have any ideas for your Skakdi’s name, power, weapons etc., pop me a PM and we’ll take it from there. I’ll gladly help you figure out stats and other details if you want, but I need the general concept first. :slight_smile:

Okay. I have added the feats and now I’m looking over the skills.

I chose two other skills, so how do I show them when I have a basic skill?

I messed up the formulas on the skill section, but if you get any bonus skills from being a certain element, just add that skill point in the “bonus” cell and it won’t show a negative number in the “available points” cell.

Unlocking a Trained skill by spending a point should put you at level 1 in it; I accidentally set it to be Level 0 when unlocked.

Hang on I’m not sure but I think I understand how armor + magnetism works, Pohatu and Botar both were vulnerable to magnetism, because they actually had metallic armor, (as in metallic colours) it seems weird to suggest metal can be coloured, especially green blue or red, as on Toa, and I somehow doubt Toa are painted. As I had always assumed coloured armor could possibly be some kind of ceramic-like substance, explaining bothe the colour and how Gail swims without just sinking, however, as on about 90% of characters, gunmetal, gold or silver armor is indeed metal, and magnetic, giving a Toa of magnetism control over them (such as botar’s armor or pohatu’s Nuva shoulders and chest plate; even my character has gunmetal so he’s succeptinle too).

Even if the above is false there is one thing for certain; kanohi are not magnetic as they are naturally transparent. (A makuta’s kanohi is made of protosteel so they are magnetic) I’m not sure what the deal is with powerless kanohi tbh but it’s unlikely to matter, let’s say they’re metal cause y not.

So basically Toa of magnetism can indeed throw people around, whether this is true or not, as I understand it, just no pulling of kanohi from Toa or turaga

1 Like

Metal can be anodized and dyed; I was part of a robotics team for three years, and when they celebrated their tenth year as a team they used those processes to color the Aluminum that the robot’s frame was made of gold:
https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/img/498/4987b5e363c295173b2557d6889eaba4_l.jpg

If her armor is comparatively light (which would help agility, too), air bladders in her body could make up the difference. It’d just be a matter of her ‘overall density’ (weight/body volume) being similar to or lower than that of liquid protodermis.

Transparent magnetic materials do exist, though they are few and far between and quite expensive since the elements they must contain to be magnetic don’t tend to lend themselves well to transparency.

That said, pulling a Kanohi off of any being would require considerable finesse with the power; you don’t want to pull on their head with the same force as you pull on the mask, or else you’ll just shove them over. I think the main limitation of Magnetic powers should be that finesse, rather than trying to rule for every item we come across whether it is magnetic or not. If you want to target a very specific item with the power, like a Kanohi or a weapon, the level of control you must exercise to make the magnetic field affect only that item is considerable, and the EP cost of such an act would reflect that. There’s also a question of intensity; how much force does it take to remove a Kanohi mask from someone’s face, and how strong a magnetic field do you have to create to match that? Again, if we want to balance magnetism as an element, I think that intensity should be considerable.

2 Likes

I put that there specifically so you wouldn’t have to waste time writing that but ah well.

i could come up with lots of stuff to say right now but like I said, most of this stuff makes no difference and we’ll just call it magic.

when a solution appears that makes no practical differences to the status quo and has been admitted as only a possibility so what? Basically I’ve already found about 20 flaws in everyone of our arguments just writing this, the universe wasn’t created with the magneticity of all the materials in it relevant at the time.

We’ll just refer to the GM for it I guess

I think I know how everything works now.

I guess any and all colourings are based on elemental power, like Av-Matoran but without control over it. (That’s how the masks colour ■■■■■) as for what the mask are, they are not only magnetic, but magnetised (canon explanation for staying on everyone’s face) we’ll call this magic too (after all they are literally magic).

I think we’re all on the same page now…

Protodermic metal is basically magic metal. It is comparatively light, it can be transformed and “mutated” by (semi-)organic substances, it gains color when energized in various ways, it’s magnetic in most cases, and Matoran just paint their parts (at least masks).

Coloring metal is possible in real life, such as by anodizing it.

In BIONICLE we got magic metal and magic powers, so I never gave much thought to how the color actually works. It appears to turn grey when not actively connected to a Toa or other being.

Given how many different ways there are to manipulate stuff at a distance, for all I know “Magnetism” is just a version of Telekinesis that is specific to protodermis in metallic form.

Canon says that masks stick on by some form of magnetism. We could compare this to a super-magnet mounted in their mouth; the effect will be greater than a much wider blast aimed at their entire body. Lack of precision control could prevent Gahlok-Va from removing the mask directly. I dunno.

It may also seem like Magnetism is capable of crushing people like tin cans if ramped up high enough, which is why it doesn’t appear much in canon: It’s overpowered. So in this game, we’ll make it a Force push power with some special effects. Possibly a successful Trigger on the pulling power could allow you to dislodge a mask or disarm an opponent.

2 Likes

Sheesh all this talk about how OP magnetism is and you haven’t even got to Iron or Gravity.

3 Likes

Other than the black holes and flinging people a mile in the air before smashing them into the ground with twenty times their wheight, gravity Toa aren’t that bad.
*sarcasm

Although even that isn’t all that powerful, a Toa of Fire could probably have melted the gravity toa’s head off before a fight even began, and a Toa of ice could freeze them solid.

And we haven’t even got into the nova blast region yet…

We really need to stop talking about this. Really.
We’re wasting time we could spend on the actual game.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s kinda difficult to de-mask a Toa when you’ve got no powers and only one hook for a weapon :grin:

I suspect you meant Gahlok-Kal…

1 Like

I will just assume none of you are going to be a deliberate munchkin, so I guess we’re all set on that front.

3 Likes

All right here’s the deal: I’ve been busy lately, and not all the characters have been ready. We’re basically done with the sheets, however, and I got stuff planned for the first session or two. Let’s have a go at it this weekend, if you’re all free then.

1 Like

What day this weekend? I won’t be here this Sunday.

Any day, really. Give me your preferences.

I know some of you haven’t got any experience with tabletop games, so the first session may be spent mostly on finalizing characters and explaining basic rules. I’ll have a go with the Same Page Tool as well.

If people are available at different times, we may have characters arrive at different times. I guess that would make things more dynamic.

Friday would be okay, Saturday maybe not so much since I’ll be packing.

Any thoughts as to the time of day?

I’m free all day Friday to Sunday, but since we are most likely in different time zones I think it’d be best to ask everyone what time they are free. I could also try to get something going earlier in the week, but due to work I have more limited time on weekdays.

Friday from 10:00 AM to about 5:00 PM is when I would be free on that day, I think. I am in EST.

I’m generally free saturday after 4 PM EST. Weekdays work better for me right now

I will probably be working on Friday.

Friday from 9:00 AM to about 4:00 PM I will probably be working.

Saturday would work way better better for me.