Tell Me About Your Dreams

Falling in a dream and waking up before hitting the ground is due to the instinctual panic that a dream fall causes.

When you’re falling, your brain knows that the longer you fall, the less survivable it gets. It’s crucial to stop your fall within a short time, and if that’s not possible, then death quickly becomes inevitable. Your dream will usually either shock itself awake at that point, or drag out the fall indefinitely until you awake to avoid the impact (or just make you invulnerable so you survive anyway)

So, what does completing the fall and dying mean? There are a few possibilities: 1) your brain skipped over the actual fall, and just jumped straight from “you fell” to “you died”. This might seem a bit implausible, but the fluid logic of dreams can skip over stuff like that. 2) this one’s more likely, given your claim that this is a regular occurrence: the fall didn’t kick in that instinct that wakes you up. It’s possible your brain is desensitized to the concept of dying and doesn’t fear your own death, or it’s possible that some part of your subconscious knows it’s a dream and there aren’t any real consequences. Given the fact that it switches to third person to keep going after you die, this might seem more likely, but this may just be the dream continuing the “story” with you as a “ghost”.

It’s quite possible for one’s mind to adjust to this. I’m not sure how reading sci-fi/fantasy might cause it. Many years ago I had a dream about driving with a bomb, and woke up before it went off. Years later, I’ve had at least two dreams where I’ve died and the dream switches to third person. At some point in the interim, my subconscious has lost that instinct. In my case, my brain has become more “practical” – me dying won’t matter to me, and will only matter to those who know and care about me, so it loses that fear, even if it is still an outcome to be avoided.

Anyways this is the part where I try to throw in some levity by saying “last night I dreamed about _”, except my dream was actually kinda boring, so I’m just going to pretend that I dreamed about sword-fighting a T-Rex on top of a Helicopter.

3 Likes

I almost never remember my dreams, unless it’s a legitimately bad nightmare. Last week though, I had the holy grail of dreams: an outer space dream.

I think there was some sort of story or mission, but the part I remember is just floating at high speed between different stars. Was quite the rude awakening.

4 Likes

I’m so glad you remember me

4 Likes

One of the most random dreams I had was a few months ago when I dreamt that I had a smoking problem (even though I’ve never smoked in my life), and tried to get the taste out of my mouth, only to have tobacco fall put of my mouth every time I tried to brush my teeth.

What an experience.

4 Likes

I once had a dream where the entire time there was a bean in my mouth.

4 Likes

I was driving with my family, and our car broke down, so we stopped at this shop in the middle of nowhere to get a new converter. The salesman guy (who was probably Ghid, let’s be real here) told us “we have four of them, one of them’s a bomb”. We decided not to let some other person wind up taking the explosive part, so we took all four and drove off. I guess somehow we had all four hooked up, so now we knew it was just a matter of time until the bomb went off. The last thing I remember was sitting in the back of the pickup waiting for the explosive converter to go off, knowing death was nigh, but our sacrifice meant someone else wouldn’t die.

I was way too calm about this considering I was like ten.

6 Likes

yeah, he sounds like the kind of person who’d sell you explosives

1 Like

Good thing I’ve been able to consistently remember my dreams lately, this one may be weirder than the brick shack.

The strange thing about most of my dreams is that they almost always take place in the same universe. I’ve seen it so many times I could probably draw most of the locations from memory.

See, one of the streets in the main city leads down to this dead-end courtyard where there’s a couple of charity shops and a multi-storey car park. While I’ve visited both shops many times before, today I decide to go into that car park. When I come it the other side, I see a small bungalow that’s apparently Budgens in front of a fairly large Sainsbury’s.

When I turn right, there’s this massive blue three-storey structure with a big glass front, which, upon entering, turns out to be a giant arcade. There’s about 10 claw machines in a row to the left, but each one only contains 2 or 3 things inside, and they’re all strapped to the ceiling. I make a note of the massive 12 foot high Berry Punch plush at the end of the row, before I walk behind the machines and down a flight of stairs into the building’s basement.

There’s already a bunch of people in the basement, and they’ve all got boxes of assorted Lego pieces. I sit down and place my own box next to me, before a man who was clearly supposed to be @Ghid greets the group. He says that today we’ll be discussing the usefulness of each shade of gold. A guy who I can only assume was @Rukah immediately tipped his box over, emptying copious amounts of flat dark gold Lewa swords onto the ground. With that, the discussion begins.

Someone who was undoubtedly intended to be @Racie02 argues that pearl gold is the best because there’s a wider selection of parts in that colour. To demonstrate her point, she pulls a pearl gold Keelerak shell and pearl gold six-hole Kraahkan out of nowhere. I argue against this, and take my Duplo Little Robots collection out of my box to show that there are many dark gold pieces too. Everyone present nods thoughtfully in unison. The dream ends.

so apparently I’m part of a cult now

4 Likes

that sounds exactly like something my dream self would do
also flat dark gold lewa swords
yes

2 Likes

I dreamed that I was Lariska, and the Mandalorian had hired me to observe someone in a block of apartment buildings. They were very large, flat, rectangular buildings. So, I’m sitting on top of an apartment complex with some fancy night-vision scopes, watching everyone in the apartments, because I don’t remember who to watch for. I turn around and there’s this other guy with the same gear, looking at me. I try to beat him up, but the night-vision scopes get knocked off both of us and we’re fumbling around in the dark, shouting and shooting at each other. (And aiming with absolutely no precision.) And then I woke up.

2 Likes

he remembered

3 Likes

Not when the dream makes you the fool, and the unknown person who’s attacking you no better. I shouldn’t have listened when I was offered a job…

Last night I had a dream that I was a Toa of Stone. I distinctly remember saying something like “Why can’t I be something interesting like a Toa of Gravity?”
After messing around with my powers I quickly realized I had a Matatu, so these annoyances disappeared.

1 Like

I have many BIONICLE related dreams. Unfortunately, while I can recall many, I forgot most details.

There were several Metru Nui dreams. One or two involved Toa Metru fighting Visorak, and sky was orange.

There has been this reoccurring dream of mine about playing a modification (or multiple ones in one case) of BIONICLE the game. I remember one such dream had both surfing Gali section, and surfing Tahu section, and that Gali fought a boss in a giant watery arena.

One dream had an entirely non-existent 3D game with character selection between non-existent Toa that were like really bright and elemental-looking Toa Metru with unique Mata-style masks, while rest of the graphics was more muted. It was set on Spherus Magna if I recall correctly.

Many dreams I had about MNOLG, and MNOLG II. A really great one involved an ice puzzle, Po-Wahi desert, and its antagonist was not Makuta but a different evil force. Onu-Wahi and lightstones are common in these dreams. Ta-Wahi beach also appears often, as does Ga-Koro and MNOLG II Ga-Wahi.

There was a really cool but somewhat strange dream about G2, involving Toa, LoSS, and Makuta. This dream looked like stop-motion with toys, and Makuta’s design was unique to the dream. He was imposing, red, black and gold. Toa were on some great adventure in dimly lit places, fought the Lord of Skull Spiders, and eventually confronted this Makuta. Masks were also involved in some way.

I have lot of dreams about Spherus Magna, many of them really cool. There was a cool dream about Mata Nui lying inside an inland sea on a giant planet, presented in form of a map. One dream involved Element Lords.

One great dream was about there being islands for each element, inhabited by primarily by Matoran. I remember there was an Iron island and a Water island. The islands were isolated from each other, but hidden teleport system existed to connect them.

Then there was this otherwise non-BIONICLE related dream, where there was a cult at a school, but they worshipped Annona. (I had at least two Annona dreams, but the other one was actually set in Bara Magna, and involved Skrall.)

1 Like

Draw it, please!!

I dreamed a few times about being in some sort of Bionicle FPS, but it was never in a Bionicle location. I did dream once that I was Hahli in MNOGII and somehow I killed Takua. I also had a nightmare where I was some Toa and was fighting in this long hallway with squids and sea monsters in the walls.

2 Likes

I had a dream that i was a well known hairdresser. One of my clients came in and said they wanted the colour out of their hair. After they paid me I lead them through a door and into a massive underground chasm. In the centre (about a mile in the air) there was a floating stone path with a shower at the end. It had a shower curtain all the way round.

I told them to go in to the shower (fully clothed) for 24 hours straight and i left. Once 24 hours had passed i came back to check on them. They were freezing cold but i told them to go back into the shower for another 24 hours. This repeated about 4 or 5 times.

After this i was walking them back out onto the stone path when i look down at my phone and see i’m being cancelled on twitter. Climate activists are saying i couldn’t possibly have that much water and that my methods were “unethical”.

12 Likes

You’re gonna fit in here just fine

5 Likes

you really are monopoly’s sister

7 Likes

interesting

I can tell you helped write Monopoly Lore™

5 Likes

i’m not sure if i should be offended or take that as a compliment

5 Likes