Thaeli the Shadow, Fallen Toa of Earth

As outgoing and kind as she was stealthy and tricksy, Thaeli lived as one of the many street urchins in Onu-Koro before she was taken in as the final member of her Toa team. Affectionately dubbed “The Little Sister,” Thaeli not only served as the team’s designated scout, but also the emotional glue that held them together. Though even her best efforts failed to save her, and her team from destruction within…

Remember when TheMOCingbird posted Bionicle mocs? Yeah, me neither. Anyway, here’s the 5th member of my Toa team I’ve been working on for quite a couple years now, and I’m pretty happy with how she came out. The build process of this moc is actually quite interesting: I started the build with this toa in mind, then for a contest was converted into a moc of the character Vin from Sanderson’s Mistborn books (who this toa was already heavily based off of), and then finally back into Thaeli. I wanted a thin, feminine-but-not-too-feminine, athletic build, almost like a gymnast or ballerina, and I’m happy with the result. I really tried to be intentional with the textures and color blocking, with the dark gray almost representing skin, and the black as tight clothing. Choosing a mask that fit the moc gave me the most grief by far, and I’m still not totally satisfied with it, and the foot design is inspired by Djura from Wombat Combat’s discord. All the chains and the sash-net-thingey were later additions, and I think they really give the moc some personality with almost a goth/punk feel to them, which is fitting seeing as Thaeli used to be a little punk before all that Toa Hero business. My favorite pat though would have to be the bow (which explains why I took so many dang pics of it). Now time for my obligatory statement about rambling too long before I just show you the pics already, cause let’s be real, that’s what you’re here for.

Ignore the ugly exo-foce claw, I took this pic before I found a better way to mount the arrow.

Even Drevick had a soft spot for the kid.

Thanks fo viewing!

33 Likes

I like her! There’s a lot of character to her equipment, and the poses you put her in. She definitely has a kind of spunky attitude to her. I could imagine her as a kind of pop punk girl. The only thing I’m not so sure about is the mask, but I can’t think of a better alternative off-hand.

2 Likes

the mask choice is interesting, but it works for the model. although it does seem rather large compared to the rest of the MOC.

1 Like

Very nice. As for the mask maybe you could replace it with a black huna?
That bow is just pure awesome, though.

1 Like

oh bow oh wow oh geez that is one fantastically shaped bow and arrow.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s definitely the feel I was going for, so I’m glad it came across that way.

Thanks, was petty proud of the final version I landed on.

As I said in the post, I kind of agree with you all, though I found that smaller masks looked even more out of place oddly enough. The problem with using a huna is 1, my Toa of fire on this team already uses a great huna, and 2, I deliberately tried to avoid using 01-03 masks for the toa team, so the great huna is out of the question. Now that I look at it, the Adapted Armor Pakari might work, but I don’t own one currently, and may end up looking just as weirdly large. Thanks all for the feedback! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I thought of that one too, but held off on suggesting it as the adaptive Pakari is a fairly sizeable mask. Given that she’s got a pretty petite frame, the blades would probably as good as cover her shoulders. Maybe one of the 3d mask designers could come up with something new that would work? Alternatively, if you’re not averse to spray-painting, a Faxon or Vultraz’ mask of Scavenging could work. I’ve also seen a few MOCs that use Breez 1.0’s helmet from Hero Factory very effectively, and that’s not a big piece at all and is pretty sleek looking. Maybe something like Surge’s original helmet could work too. Just throwing ideas at it :grin:

2 Likes

Great build, I love the clever bow and quiver design

1 Like

Thanks for the input, I may put some of these to the test when I get the chance.

Thanks!

2 Likes

For the mask, you could also try going with Atakus Helmet?
Otherwise, you an interesting pick could be the Hordika Version of the Ruru.
Although if I’m perfectly honest, I quite like how the Kraahkan looks on her, if you throw out its implications. It matches her body and especially her bow.

3 Likes

Excellent

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, and the more I look at it, I think I agree about the Kaahkan.

I see someone’s trying to get master :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks!

3 Likes

For an actual critique though, the shaping on this Moc is insanely good. Everything flows seamlessly together and the weapons are also very well-done. Really the only problem I have is the head, which seems just a bit too large for the rest of the Moc.

4 Likes

A net skirt, eh? That’s a net idea. :wink:

Also, I love that bow design, actually bending like a real bow.

2 Likes

@TheMOCingbird Why can’t i see the axle holes in picture 3 lying down
as anything other than her flashing someone (yes i am manipulating you into filling them haha i am very makuta)

1 Like