The Pantheon of Muri-Nui

Created by the Bothers, imbued by the Lords, and guided by the Virtues. Thus is the way of the Toa.

Hey all, for a while now I’ve been meaning to post some worldbuildy stuff about my Bionicle setting, Muring-Nui. I know a lot of people won’t find this kinda thing very interesting, but it feels good finally getting my ideas out on a page somewhere. I’ll be replying to this topic with some lore explanation for the pantheon, and expect some more lore topics like these in the future. As for the piece itself, I’m really happy with it. I know I’m not the best artist, and it definitely isn’t perfect (like the fact nothing is centered properly) but I think I captured the look of a religious stained glass window lookin thing pretty well.

What you’re actually looking at here is a compilation of the different members of the Matoran’s religion on Muri-Nui. Most of the names of characters in my setting are original, but I decided to keep the names and general stories behind the gods from G1, G2, and a little of Brickonicle, all mixed together. From top to bottom, it is The Great Beings, Makuta/Karzani and Ekimu/Artakha, The Three Virtues, and the Elemental Lords.

18 Likes

The Brothers of the Forge

The two figures toward the top of the page are The Brothers of the Forge. Commonly known as Ekimu and Makuta in the east, and Artakha and Karzani in the western regions of Po-Wahi, the former embodies light and creation, while the latter embodies shadow and control.

The Brothers of the Forge are the creators of all life on Muri-Nui, serving as the great architects of the island. Ekimu reveled in the creation of the matoran, gifting them with higher thought and free will. Makuta took pride in his control over the Rahi beasts, guiding their instincts and nature. After creating life, the brothers saw it fit to create The Three Virtues, Unity, Duty, and Destiny to serve as guiding lights for the matoran. Yet soon, Makuta’s pride overtook him, and began warring with his brother. Currently, the nature of the brothers conflict remains largely a mystery. Some suggest that Ekimu was killed long ago, while others argue it was Makuta who was banished beneath the island. Either way, the forces of shadow and light still clash in a never ending cycle.

The worship of Ekimu is the most prevalent across the island, but is especially revered in the regions Ta-Wahi, and the melting pot of ideas that is Onu-Wahi. And while Artakha and Karzani are the primary gods in Po-Wahi, they are rarely given as much time and devotion as those who worship them to the east. Those who follow The Brothers believe that good and evil is an external threat, with it being a matron’s duty to act righteously for Ekimu against Makuta, and that any goodness or evil comes from the Brother’s influence. Ekimu/Artakha is especially worshiped by artists and artisan, as he is seen as the great spirit of creation. Makuta/Karzani is seen as a cunning, prideful spirit. The term “makuta” both refers to the entity himself, as well as any rahi, matoran, or other creature of shadow directly in his service.

The Brother’s of the Forge usually remain aloof, with very few matoran ever claiming to have interacted with them; instead the two spirits play out their war as a game, with the island as their board, and it’s inhabitants their pieces.

6 Likes

oooh these are pretty cool!! I really like the lore info and the art!

2 Likes

The Three Virtues

The three figures in the center are The Three Virtues, Unity (center), Duty (left), and Destiny (right). Unity is often depicted as the head of the three siblings, her kind yet firm nature binding them together. Duty is unshakable and unchangeable, and he is often viewed as blunt but honest. Destiny is intense and clever, their plans and machinations all winding to one singular goal. While the siblings personalities may run contrary at times, the Three Virtues remain of one accord.

Created by Ekimu and Makuta before their conflict, The Three Virtues watch over the matoran people, guiding them along their lives. Unity’s armor and mask are rounded and smooth, representing cohesiveness of the whole. Duty is square and boxy, representing the stalwartness and determination needed to keep one’s duties. Destiny’s armor is triangular and pointed, representing how one’s life ultimately leads toward the point of their destiny.

While long ago it once dominated Muri-Nui, the Church of Virtues is now only prevalent on the north of the island, in the region of Ko-Wahi, and is recently spreading toward upper Ta-Wahi. Those who follow the Virtues firmly believe in the Hierarchy of Worship, a doctrine which teaches that to worship a being not placed directly above one’s self is blasphemy. Therefore, believers in the Virtues view worship of the Brothers of the Forge as a subversion of the natural order which Ekimu and Makuta put into place. The Brothers created the Virtues to guide the matoran, so to bypass that order is both pride and folly.

Followers of the Church of Virtues believe that good and evil are internal forces, naturally inhabiting the heartlight of every matoran. They teach that self reflection and betterment through following the Virtues is the only way to combat the evil of one’s own heart, and view personal responsibility as a key staple, with their followers often coming across intensely devout. They largely ignore whatever conflict Ekimu and Makuta might have as they view it as being too far above their station to concern them.

The Three Virtues are more invested in the lives of matoran on a personal level than their creators ever were. Some claim that is the virtue’s who guide the souls of matoran lost and living, and that they vigilantly watch over the island and its people, even revealing themselves to their disciples in visions and wonders.

6 Likes

Who’s the three in the middle

1 Like

They are The Three Virtues, from left to right, Duty, Unity, Destiny.

Is there 3d models for those masks

No, I just came up with em.

This is great. I like the ambiguity about the pantheon. Even within cult of the Brothers, there is division over who won, if anyone won, and even such thing as brothers’ name. Did the Church of Virtues have similar doctorinal disputes?

To me, it seems both faiths/belief systems are correct to some degree.
I think that good and evil are both external and internal. Individuals can be good or evil by themselves, but brothers certainly can and do intervene. Hierarchy of worship is nonsense, but brothers are more distant than virtues.

Can Makuta change his form? If so, what forms he takes?

Is Ekimu and Makuta depicted differently than Artaka and Karzani?

I marked following question as spoiler, to avoid spoiling a potential twist. Are the Brothers first gods, or is there a primordial deity predating them? If so, is that entity Annona or Tren Krom?

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the comment, it’s really cool seeing someone engaging with my random ideas.

To answer some questions,

Not really as much. The Church always put a pretty large emphasis on Unity, so while disputes do exist (specifically about if any of the Three Virtues are more important than the other two), they are far less common and far less disputed. The Church of Virtues is also just a smaller religion, or so there’s less cracks spreading throughout it.

Thanks! I really wanted to make all the religion’s correct to some extent. The different faiths are more about how you look at the pantheon, and who you worship, because few people actually deny the existence of any members of the pantheon, they just disagree on which should be followed and honored.

Yeah, pretty much.

I’ll touch on this a little bit more when I make a post about The Elemental Lords, but yeah, Makuta can probably change his form. In fact, the more “physical” interpretation of him seen in the picture is less of how he actually looks, and more just the matoran’s representation of him. Now a days, he would probably appear more like swirling shadow, similar to what we saw in MNOG.

Depends on the region, but yeah, farther west in the regions of Po-Wahi there is less of a “canon” depiction of Artaka and Karzani, with images of of them varying greatly depending on the sensibilities of the artist depicting them. But in general, toward the west Artaka and Karzani are presented more otherworldly, grand, and terrible, and less matoran like as is often found in the east.

The Great Beings definitely predate them, so they aren’t the most ancient of beings. As for Annona and Then Krom, I’ll say this: The Brothers of the Forge are definitely the creators and chief deities of the island of Muri-Nui, but the vast oceans around Mrui-Nui are largely uncharted, with expeditions rarely coming back, so who knows what lies beyond.

2 Likes

Wait, are Great Beings distinct from the Brothers? If so, are these the two dragons above and behind the Brothers in the image? I at first did not notice these, and thought Great Beings are another name for the Brothers, but from your reply it seems they are entirely distinct beings.

1 Like

Yeah, the weird hand looking things at the very top of the page represent the Great Beings.

Those are representations of the Brothers as the Elemental Creatures of Light and Shadow, something which I’ll cover more when I go over the religion behind the Elemental Lords.

1 Like

The Elemental Lords

The six figures on either side of the Three Virtues are the Elemental Lords, in their Creature forms specifically. From to to bottom, left to right, they are Ikir (Fire), Ketar (Stone), Terak (Earth), Uxar (Air), Akida (Water), and Melum (Ice). While the Elemental Lords could take any form, they decide to use creatures as their avatars when presenting themselves to matoran, a most rare event.

Little is known of the Lords’ origins. They were not made by the Brothers of the Forge, but appeared on the island soon after its creation, imbuing each region with their specific elemental power. The relationship between the Lords and the Brothers is also a mystery, but the existence of the Toa suggests that there was cooperation between at some point between the two forces. Now, the Elemental Lords are mostly content to preside over their corners of the island, occasionally squabbling amongst themselves, and often characterized as largely indifferent to the plights of the matoran.

Each Lord has a personality reflective of their elements and the stereotypes of the matoran living there. Ikir is passionate and protective, causing volcanoes to erupt and lava to run down the north of the island. Ketar is harsh and solitary, whipping its region with biting winds fraught with jagged sand and stones. Terak is plodding and pondering, rarely stirring in the earthen tunnels that spread beneath the island. Uxar is playful and wild, its jungle region often abuzz with activity and teeming with life. Akida is fluid and calm, softly lapping the beaches of the eastern coasts with gentle waves. Melum is cold and solitary, often obscuring the north of the island in freezing blizzards and thunderous avalanches.

While almost all Matoran recognize the divinity of the Brothers of the Forge and the Three Virtues, a few matoran still choose to worship the Elemental Lords instead. Sure, The Brothers may have created matoran, but it is the Elemental Lords who sustain them through their gifts found throughout nature. Such worship is most commonly found in the south-eastern region of the island, in Le and Ga-Wahi. These matoran have a deep respect for nature, and tend to have a more lax view on their faith, believing that it is most important for a matoran to be at peace with their Elemental Lord, whatever form that may take. They view death in nature as simply part of the natural life cycle, and take life with an open hand. While followers of the Brothers and the Virtues usually view these worshipers with distain, the difference in belief is tolerated. The Elemental Lord Melum is especially hated by its people, for its ravenous blizzards have claimed the lives of many matoran who would dare brave them. Interestingly, the regions of fire and water growing increasingly more united has spawned religion which is the mixture of the two Wahi’s faiths. Many Ga matoran in northern Ga-Wahi have included Ekimu and Makuta among the Elemental Lords, naming them Takan and Terid respectively, the Lords of Light and Shadow (as seen on top of the Brothers’ hammers).

All matoran possess an element inside them, which is determined not by heritage, but by which region of the island they were born in. This element inside them is largely inconsequential, rarely dictating more than the coloration of the matoran. Yet, those matoran who are particularly in-tune with their element, known as turaga have been known to posses the power to manipulate their element, emulating the legendary powers of the Toa, but on a smaller scale. Toa Stones themselves serve as a beacon of sorts, a fixed point for the normally spread out power of an Elemental Lord to be concentrated on one being.

So, the Elemental Lords watch over their lands, often ambivalent to the greater world around them, their powers harnessed by any mortal with enough faith or ambition to dare.

4 Likes

Ooh this is really interesting, I like the idea of Ekimu and Makuta being light and shadow

1 Like

Ooh, interesting…

1 Like

Oh man, this is awesome. I love a heavy infusion of spirituality into a fictional piece, it realizes the social element of the story. (Happens to be one of the few things I consider Bionicle to increasingly lack as it progressed in story.) Are you planning on writing a story to coincide? Or a series of MoCs? More art? I’m bookmarking this topic

2 Likes

Thanks!

I probably won’t ever write one singular book type story, but there’s definitely a few snippets I might try to realize in short story form, and I’ll probably make a couple more world building/lore dump topics like this in the future. As for mocs, all of these are part of the world:
Ventsah, The Dying Ember,
Kulndac, Master of 1,000 Blades,
Ilin the Seeker, Fallen Toa of Ice,
Greater and Lesser Zerabythiax,
General Drevick the Unshakeable, Fallen Toa of Stone,
Thaeli the Shadow, Fallen Toa of Earth.
Also, here’s a map of the island I made a while ago, which I’ll also post in a proper topic at some point.

4 Likes

Those mocs are pretty great, nice job

1 Like

Thank ye.

1 Like

Niiiice. Bonus points for making a map because all the best lores have maps at the beginning of the book

I’m gonna go ahead and cruise through those MoCs now

3 Likes