The Book of Dreams

Eh heh hehh uhh…

Might get to a sluggish once every three weeks if I’m as lazy as I was with the last one. Trying to motivate myself to write as often as possible for this; each chapter takes a little less than an hour so far and there’s going to be more chapters than any previous ones have had.

Although as you can probably tell, the pace is a fair bit slower. Maybe that’ll change later on as well.

I completely forgot to start the story with “Gee, golly, gosh, Gloriosky”

I have failed as a writer

One can always hope. :upside_down_face:

As if I would imply good guy to be tall in any way, shape or form

You were supposed to eat it

6 Likes

i’m not gonna eat a knife that’s dangerous

5 Likes

i would

9 Likes

Very polite kidnapper

6 Likes

KILL IT WITH FIRE

Ch 2

Chapter 3

It seemed like an insufferably long amount of time, that ten minutes, during which I hesitated every time the perfect insult for that wide-brimmed monstrosity atop the brow of the perfect gunslinging stereotype rested on the tip of my tongue. Not because I was afraid of either death or this clearly overcompensating clod, but because I was actually enjoying the free transportation. Walking gets tiring for someone my height, that someone being me specifically.

However, my agonizing journey ended abruptly as we rounded a wall of trees and broke in upon a rather hushed conversation held by two individuals shrouded in the gloom of the darkness. Of course, at this distance, they wouldn’t remain hidden from my view for very long.

“That was remarkably quick.” One of the party said, cocking a sidelong glance at the two of us. Goodness, did I just refer to myself and this strop-strapped gaucho as ‘us’? I need to stop this guilt by association thing before it does me in. “Please tell me you didn’t break in and cause a row.”

“Nah,” Diero began, the first word dropping the southern dialect while the rest of the sentence immediately picked it back up and doubled down on the dialect to save face. “Mister walked right out in the middle of the street. Saved me a heap’ve trouble, and saved them folk the disturbance of a good night’s rest.”

“Diero, you-” One of the figures began, irritation sinking into his teeth and dripping from his most likely scowling mouth, as he began to walk forward, but abruptly stopped after a single step. “He’s still wearing his mask.”

“Huh?” Diero whirled around in a dramatic tornado of leather and stabbed his chiseled face directly into my personal space, dropping me on the ground in the process. “You little scamp! I thought you were just that ugly all on your lonesome. Hand it!”

As you may have suspected, the accent vanished without a trace during his surprise and irritation, but there would be no successful attempt on his part tonight. Deftly I caught the wrist of the hand that dove madly towards my eyes, threatening to deprive me of my mask. As I felt the unmoving skin beneath my gloved fingers, I- ugh. Ugh ugh ugh did I seriously just admit to be wearing gloves? Have I lost all amour-propre as a dramaturge so expeditiously? Should I stop using histrionic and daedalean lexemes which in their incogruous usance they flat-hat aloft the capitulum of the cumulative elocutionist assemblage that punctilious perusal of a lexicon is paramount for the perspicacity of the belles-lettres?

Yes, I have gloves. Yes, they are perfectly fit for my oversized hands. Yes, they are leather gloves. And yes, I want you to shut up so I can finish my thought.

As Diero’s wrist was caught in my big, stupid, gloved hands that want to give you a black eye for existing, I noticed the unmoving skin was extremely coarse and very stone-like. What was the secret of this callous clowboy, who now stared down at me in flaming disbelief that I could be so bold, so ambitious, as to grasp at the hand that dared to dominate and remove my lovely mask?

“Don’t bother.” I replied lazily, glaring up at the stunned desperado. “To avoid the machinations of Ghid I carved my mask out of wood. See?” I tapped at the mask which let out a resounding timberland tone. “So don’t touch it. Or me. Ever.”

Ah, but fool that I was to so easily let him go, as his hand resumed its mission to grasp my mask. Only now he simply ran his thumb over the grainy, painted surface to confirm my word was true. With a hiss of disappointment he resumed his stoic stance, folding his arms and becoming even more angular somehow.

“Disappointing.” The figure in the dark resumed his march, coming up to where we stood before crouching to glare me directly in the one visible eye. I couldn’t help but admire his dedication to leaving an impact. “The one job I thought Diero could accomplish without any difficulty. Well, I assume you know why we brought you here.”

Trying my best to ignore the reaction of disparity Diero possessed at the comment of failure I examined my rather unfriendly host. He wore a series of ragged black robes, obscuring the vast majority of his body, but his eyes gleamed out of the dark hollow they were nestled into. He looked like a large pile of trash bags; probably extremely cool in his own mind, but here he was just disappointing to look at. He seemed to sense this, his eyes squinting past the strange, black breathing filter across his mouth and nose, while the rest of him stood back up and grumpily marched back to his compatroit in the background, immediately blending in with the shadows.

Off to my side Diero had lit a match and was now igniting a cigar. As he dropped the match I caught it, pulling out a cigarette of my own to consume. By its light I barely identified the second figure, but he was so reflective it was impossible not to have discerned him with anything brighter. He was metallic, armored to the teeth, having no visible part of his body exposed. What was it with these people and completely closing off all exposure to air? That can’t be healthy for the skin.

Regardless, he was a head below the trash bag figure, yet in spite of this and his comparatively smaller frame, he had a presence which made it more than obvious he was the leader of this little expedition. With glowing white eyes he approached and glanced downwards at me, giving me a much better look at his armor. It was clearly some kind of metal, although almost artistically shaped and smithed, archaic in its layering and detailed with different designs. Despite his smaller frame the suit gave him the appearance of being fairly well-built, but it was impossible to tell if this was compensation on the part of the design or if he was that way underneath it all.

“I expect a great deal of information from you, Cordax.” He began. “It took us a great deal of time to locate you, and I hope you’ll be cooperative with helping us find your friend.”

Yes, I know you’re wondering why he addressed me as Cordax when my name is obviously Tott, and to be honest I have no idea what a Cordax is. Maybe it’s an insult for an exceedingly short person or something. I imagine with this interrogation-style questioning I’ll find out soon enough, especially since the moment he finished speaking he handed Diero a note of some kind and stalked back to the living dumpster.

Diero removed the cigar from his mouth, using its feeble light to inspect the contents of the note with a nonchalant air. Then, to my utmost confusion, he snapped up the note like some kind of hungry dog, devouring it with a voracity extremely unbecoming of someone of his dress and attire. Wordlessly he grabbed me by the back of my collar again and marched me over to the pair, revealing by proximity that they were standing in front of a logically impossible machine resembling some sort of wheel-less motorcycle with extremely extended seating.

“You’re going to tell us where Monopoly is, Cordax, and when we find him we’re going to ensure justice is done.” The silver figure said, walking over to the rear seat of the vehicle where a square object was obscured by a cloth. “We have it on good authority he is responsible for several murders and the detonation of a nuclear warhead.”

“Good authority?” I mused, sticking the cigarette in one of the lower holes in my Akaku.

The silver figure pulled the cloth off of the square object with dramatic flair, revealing an incredible object which I had absolutely no clue as to its purpose. It seemed completely useless, being a long rectangle of heavily-compacted metal, on top of which - and slightly crammed into the rest of the shape - rested a drawn, alien-like robotic head, sickening twisted pits where eyes presumably would go, and coupled with a pair of long, sinister pincers, which were the least damaged portion of the entire thing.

“Only the best.”

Ch 4

8 Likes

BEEG yoshi chapter today, as a little gift before thanksgiving. I really hope you enjoy the world I’m setting up here, and don’t worry, the character deaths will start before very long.

Fans of the past books will most likely immediately have a heart attack at the last paragraph, in which case I would recommend having a team of EMTs on standby while you read this. On second thought, maybe I should have said this at the start of the chapter instead of after the end of it…

Fashionable and courteous aside from the knife part.

Tott’s getting some special treatment tonight. I mean Cordax. I mean Tott, I mean Cordax I mean Tott I mean Cord- agh, I’m getting another migraine.

7 Likes

I would change my username to Tott if I had any username changes left

Also rectangle Krelikan rectangle Krelikan

7 Likes

MY SON!

Best chapter so far

I guess I’m still a pile of funny moon sand tho since @Krelikan Is also a rectangle

5 Likes

i go from comic relief to narrator

I’m very confused on how rectangle Krelikan is still intact, considering that there was kinda a nuclear bomb set off in the facility that housed the vent he was shoved in.

4 Likes

where?

where?

oh how foolish to assume such things

2 Likes

oh whoops I forgot that Tott is most definitely not Cordax and is one hundred percent someone new and different and has nothing to do with Cordax at all

man im going to sound really dumb if it turns out that Tott isn’t actually Cordax

3 Likes

oop found my one reference in the book
i am the word ‘goodness’

1 Like

my gee golly gosh gloriosky notahffan you’ve been typing for an hour

this better be a full critique of the deeper sociological and theological meanings of the entire trilogy of books and how they have impacted you as a person

6 Likes

Three chapters in a week! I like your dedication.

Alright, since we got a lot of information in this one, I think it’s time for my second totally useless analysis!

Several people already theorised that Tott is Cordax. I don’t think that it’s the case, and here’s why: In the Book of Ramblings Cordax was a puny annoying kid, and this Tott fella is… while also puny and annoying, certainly is not a kid. Like, can you imagine Cordax smoking!? I can’t.
Also, there is a phrase in the first chapter that implies that Tott most likely doesn’t know Monopoly personally, which only confirms that he is not Cordax.
This book appears to be a continuation to the Book of Ramblings, so some could say that Tott is just an older, matured version of Cordax, implying that a long time passed since the events of the first book. I think that this can’t be true, since it creates a major plot hole: why would these shady people (who I will get to later on) start tracking down Monopoly only after such a long period of time since the cider factory events. So my theory is: The Book of Dreams is a direct sequel to The Book of Ramblings, with only a few weeks in between.

This leaves us with next to no information about Tott, so let’s not build any conspiracy theories and move on to the other characters.

Starting with… the trashbag figure. After an extensive research I found out that this character’s description doesn’t mach any profile pictures or self-MOCs of the people involved in this. Luckily, I happen to be a very good lurker, meaning that I know some things that others might not remember. Ghid once called Sonus’s old profile picture a trashbag poncho-wearing robot, so this grumpy fella might be Sonus, but I’m not entirely sure…

wait, no, forget all the nonsense that I just said about the trashbag guy, only now I realised that this must be Hawkflight, whose self-MOC is extraordinarily edgy and wears a black cape with a hood and breathing filter of sorts! I’m a genius!

(Seriously, I realised this as I was writing this reply, it just came out of nowhere)

Alright, let’s take a look at this classy chrome champ who… might actually be me?
This description does remind me of my self-MOC a lot.
White eyes? Check.
Well-built (in terms of figure)? Check.
Intricate armour details? Check.
Metallic armour? Check… kind of… my Self-MOC also has a lot of grey and black, though.
The hight is what makes me doubt, since this character appears to be shorter than the trashbag figure. Or maybe the trashbag figure just is even more extraordinarily tall, who knows?
Another option would be Rukah, but… nah, there are not nearly enough Lewa swords.

Also, the post-vent box Krelikan is a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.
Though, I wonder… how are you going to include the characters like the chronicler and Racie, who undoubtedly died in the previous books? We’ll find out later, I suppose…

Phew, I think that this is the longest text I’ve written on this site so far… the only thought of how many mistakes and typos I must have made there makes me shiver in terror…

8 Likes

Ah yes the story is a sequel to itself.

It all makes sense now

4 Likes

Well, as I said,

I’m shivering in terror right now, by the way

7 Likes

Then my work here is complete

4 Likes

@Ghid will every character in the book be from the list of users?

I want an answer not a fave

Ghid this is not acceptable

3 Likes

HOW DID YOU KNOW

I mean

I actually have a really, really stupid twist involving the trashbag figure and I genuinely hate myself for it but I can’t spoil that til the high fall sequence

O ye of little faith

Idk I’ll figure it out

6 Likes