The Book of Dreams

I like how I murdered everyone but then when I come back no one really seems to care that much

5 Likes

priorities, man, priorities

the threat of nuclear annihilation is slightly more pressing than doing a cordax, but I assure you it will be gotten to

6 Likes

also,

Monopoly in Book of ____:

Monopoly in real life:

9 Likes

while we wait, enjoy this cursed ā€˜drawingā€™ of my favorite moment in the books thus far:

10 Likes

you should put that in the mausoleum

2 Likes

thatā€™s an odd way to spell dumpster but aight

3 Likes

potato, potato

Great now Iā€™m hearing that in Leonardo ā€œGatsbyā€ DiCaprioā€™s voice

3 Likes

I read it in danny devitoā€™s voice

3 Likes

Uh oh rennerā€™s typing

4 Likes

ā€œghid do you realize how traumatic it was having my spine ripped out and now you just donā€™t even care? what about the time I rubbed my jaw from getting slugged in the face by tott? did my ability to react to pain go away when my knee was broken? why donā€™t you have any consistency, you hack?!ā€

3 Likes

Ghid do you realize how traumatic it was having my entire body be stomped to tiny pieces

5 Likes

be quiet, floor soup

6 Likes

Ghid, do you realize how traumatic it was being completely helpless all book, and tossed around by you and my useless allies?

6 Likes

my guy, itā€™s been 2 hours like what the heck.

8 Likes

2 Likes

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yesterday I read chapters 18 to 27 and fully caught up by reading chapter 28 today, so Iā€™m fully prepared to do what has to be done.

Yes, tired I was. Now I am tired no more, but I still kinda stand by my statement.
I legitimately think that this book is the bestā€¦ one in this seriesā€¦ so far, but that doesnā€™t mean that I donā€™t have any problems with it. I do. Iā€™ll be sure to address those problems later on in this post.

Iā€™d like to start my review with something positive by just talking about some stuff that I liked the most about The Book of Dreams. Then Iā€™ll move on to my classic theories and my explanations for some things that others (Iā€™m looking at you, Tukah) might have misunderstood. The last part of my review will be about the things that I didnā€™t like that muchā€¦ or at all.
Iā€™m sure that this structure for my review doesnā€™t make any sense to you. But hey, what else did you expect from me?!

Okay, enough of that nonsenseā€¦ as a wise plumber more than once said: ā€œYahoo! Letā€™s-a go!ā€

NEFARIOUS NOTAHFFANā€™S NOISY NONSENSICAL BOOK REVIEW

Part one: the good stuff

Alright, letā€™s start with the things that I legitimately thoroughly enjoyed about The Book of Dreams.

First off, my favourite thing, the story itself. It was really entertaining to follow.
Unlike with the other two books, there was something interesting in each and every chapter, there werenā€™t any points in the book where I was bored and felt the desire to skip some stuff. I think that itā€™s a very major achievement, considering that BoD is significantly longer than the other two books.

(I think that itā€™s worth mentioning that my favourite chapters are probably chapters 24 and 25, thereā€™s some really intense stuff there)

Like, this book doesnā€™t give you a single chance to get bored. The story progresses at a pretty fast pace, one action-packed event comes right after another, but when it decides to slow down, there are still plenty of interesting interactions between characters and the plot never stops developing, interesting details and connections with the other two books pop up here and there all the time, giving you food for thought.
Really solid stuff.

Iā€™d also say that itā€™s fairly well-written overall (Iā€™m not talking about grammar and stuff. I canā€™t judge something I have no understanding in), Iā€™m talking about the weight behind the wordsā€¦ unfortunately I canā€™t find the proper word for that in my extremely poor vocabulary.
What Iā€™m trying to say is that all funny moments are actually funny, all intense moments actually feel intense and all scary moments actually feel scary.

I think that chapters 24 and 25 illustrate the latter two examples the best. You actually feel the threat coming from Monopoly, each character death leaves an impact (well, not exactly each, mostly Cordax) and truly feels like a loss (again, mostly Cordax). What is this, if not a sign of good writing?

Speaking of characters, I think they also deserve a spot in this list of good things. They arenā€™t the deepest things in the world, but each one has a unique enough, memorable personality, making them fun to follow.

Not Cordax though, he is just perfect and deserves a separate spot in this list.

Well, hopefully that wasnā€™t too high of a praise. I know that you donā€™t like it when people say so many good things about your books, but I have to give credit where itā€™s due, okay? That also means that I will feel much better about highlighting the bookā€™s flaws in the third section, hehehe

Part two: the nonsense

This part is probably going to be much shorter than I originally anticipated because the bookā€™s almost over and thereā€™s not much room for theories left, you explained everything pretty well.

Soā€¦ backup plan: Iā€™ll spend a significant amount of space in this part roasting Ruhroh!

Well, if you actually read The Book of Logic, it would make so much more sense

Iā€¦ actually think youā€™re right this time. Good job!

Yeah, itā€™s either @Axelford or @OraNuiā€¦ Iā€™m not sureā€¦ Sorry Ghid, I failed you once againā€¦

Actually, originally I was going to write a really long theory about the connection The Book of Logic to The Book of Dreams, but, since you have basically already explained how it works in the book, Iā€™m just gonna write my interpretation of that to see if I actually understood that correctly.

So, BoL took place in some artificial world akin to the Matrix created by Ghid for whatever reason. Some people who had died in that world got reincarnated in the main one as some strange things. Itā€™s explained in this weird poem written by Chroniclerā€™s hand attached to Monopolyā€™s body (chapter 18) :

This oneā€™s pretty self-explanatory: Sonus got reincarnated in Jethrynā€™s Dreamerā€™s body (small skeleton dude)

This oneā€™s also quite simple: Ghid attached Chroniclerā€™s left arm to Monopolyā€™s body that happened to lack one in the cider factory.

This is @Lesnichiy. He got reincarnated as a weird computer thing with the ability to revive people deep under the cider factory.

And this is the glowing guy that descended from the factory and got teleported to the sun by Diero in the last chapter. Iā€™m not sure if heā€™s OraNui or Axelford. Iā€™ve already forgotten many things from BoL.

This is either Axelford or OraNui, although I have a suspicion that He Who Swallowed The Sun is Ora and He With Imperfections is Axel. Just a suspicion, nothing more. Iā€™m too lazy to actually check BoL.

But itā€™s quite fascinating to me that you knew how you were going to use all those characters ever since chapter 18. Thatā€™s some serious planning.

But I still have one small theory left: in the fourth book everyoneā€™s gonna face off against the forces of Ghid. I donā€™t like Marvel movies, but I think that itā€™s begging for an Avengers Endgame comparison. But I think that this all is too obvious, so I wonā€™t spend any more time on it.

Yeah, Monopoly has a very fascinating kill count. Like, the guy casually eliminated one third of the entire cast from all three books.

Alright, whatā€™s next?

Part three: the bad stuff

Oh no this is my least favourite part.

While I really enjoyed most of the stuff from this book, there are some things in it so annoying that I canā€™t avoid mentioning them.

Most of the problems I have with BoD are plotholes. Iā€™m going to cover the most major ones, ignoring the minor stuff like Rennerā€™s inconsistent ability to react to pain (that could be easily explained by Renner having pain receptors only on his face, which is probably the only part on him that is still partially organic (Writhe that down, Iā€™m giving you free ideas))

Hereā€™s the major stuff:

• Black Wall of Schrodinger, as I like to call it. It exists and doesnā€™t exist at the same time.
    We know that it was built as a prison for Ghid that he canā€™t escape. We also know that the cider factory is outside the wall, so how did Ghid get there in the end of BoR? Is the factory the only place outside the wall that Ghid can access or was the wall built after the events of BoR?
    Also, we know that Ghidā€™s tower pierces through the wall/dome at the top. Tott and the party fell from the top of that tower in the beginning of BoD, but they didnā€™t hit that dome or didnā€™t even see it. How does that work?
    If Fifty can relocate the wall by the snap of his fingers, effectively releasing his master Ghid from his prison, why didnā€™t he do that much earlier?

• The nuclear chamber is made of cardboard or something. Tott, the party and Winger were standing on top of the dome of the nuclear chamber, Tott, a child-sized wooden person, jumped and they all fell through it. Also, the same dome could hold several nuclear explosions. Does Tott jump harder than nuclear warheads explode?

And then thereā€™s a moment that I donā€™t know how to feel about.

In my native language thereā€™s a phrase that goes something like ā€œa piano in the bushesā€ and has basically the same meaning as ā€œdeus ex machinaā€

So,

This is no piano in the bushes, this is an entire orchestra with a choir and an organ, accompanied by Frank Sinatra, Elton John, the Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, Daft Punk and AC/DC in the bushes.

I understand that it was done so that literally anyone could join the fourth book and it would still make sense story-wise, but on the other hand, I feel like itā€™s a but too contrived that Lesnichiy got reincarnated in that exact location with the exact ability that Tott needed. But I guess it is sort of justified, considering that you touched upon the topic of fate several times in these stories, and this entire situation situation could be explained with the phrase ā€œit was his destinyā€.

Part five: part four

Part eight.

And ungodly number of hours laterā€¦ itā€™s finally finished. My magnum opus. The best essay Iā€™ve ever written. A true masterpiece. Please enjoy.

I like this progression. Also, donā€™t worry for my mental health, I had been out of my mind long before I started typing this.

Also, is it just me, or does The Book of ā€¦ series need an anime adaptation?

13 Likes

yoikes

but I did read BoL

hooray

Also your whole post was quite interesting. I liked all the theories

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s Axelford because it was clearly described in BoL that he was a bent axle

2 Likes

stop

hiss

well itā€™s a good thing Iā€™m a genius author and I never fail to cover everything ahaahahaahahahehhehehhueuhuhhuhhā€¦

okay, Iā€™m going to spoiler the answers to these so people donā€™t get spooked: read at your own risk!!!!1!!!1!

**SPOOKY SPOILER OF NONIMPORTANT PLOT DETAILS**

Ghid never went there, Monopoly simply went into the story that Ghid had constructed around Yuo. Itā€™s a bit complicated, but since Ghid has near universal control over that dimension, he can yeet himself in an out whenever he chooses (and anyone else, but thereā€™s limitations). More deets will be clarified in the next book (did you see that I made a cliffhanger guys look at the the cliffhanger guys)

cloud

They went just beyond the clouds and it was a cloudy night. The dark wall is just conveniently tall enough. Yes Iā€™m lazy but ysee, that was the plan all along

The inner machinations of Ghidā€™s mind are an enigma

to answer that question, youā€™ll need to wait til the end of the book

ok but dude that is incredible

ā€¦what?

No no no. I have other means to keep the cast around if need be.

No, this was for a couple of folksā€¦ And to make the next chapters far more fun. I mean well thought out and interesting um no donā€™t go reading into that no wait stop

Itā€™s kinda sad Cronk isnā€™t coming back for the next one, I was going to delve far deeper into that whole concept. Ah well.

ā€¦interesting.

Monopoly is one of the most dangerous characters in the entire series. However - and something I donā€™t think anyoneā€™s brought up - in Book of Ramblings, heā€™s not exactly the villain of his story. I wonder to what that could refer?

Again, couple actual spoilers there - read at your own risk.

7 Likes

what
so the ā€œartificial dimensionā€ as renner called it that one time is a universe created by Monopoly?

I have a feeling that Ghid wonā€™t answer this so @NOTaHFfan please explain

1 Like