The Book of Tears | ARMAGHIDDON

You know hwat, I’m feelin’ generous today, so…

Actually serious critique of the Book of Tears

Generally I enjoyed this book so far, but I have some… actually pretty major problems with it, I’d say the most major in the entire series, so let’s go through them.

• Some characters don’t have any role in the story

Every character is supposed to have a purpose, this is one of the most essential things you should keep in mind when writing them. If a character doesn’t do anything and is just dragged along as the story progresses, it can lead to them becoming redundant and blending into the background, especially if that character doesn’t have any outstanding personality to show.
This is where my criticism comes from: the majority of Tott’s party literally don’t do anything throughout the story. Only Diero and Tott himself are active, while Racie, Cordax and Winger just sort of… exist around them. Cordax’s case isn’t as severe, since he has a very memorable and distinct personality. His presence is always noticeable, yet he still doesn’t really do anything. Unlike in the previous books, here he doesn’t provide much of anything other than comedic relief. I feel like his ability to get himself into absurdly dangerous situations and still somehow escape them and his lockpicking skills are greatly underutilised in this book.
But Cordax’s case is incomparable to the other two, Racie’s and Winger’s, that is. Not only has Winger not done anything, he also doesn’t have much personality. There was very little dialogue with him, so we didn’t really have a chance to get to know him better in this book. Although, his case was improved slightly in the last two chapters where he got some character development by confronting his dad.
And Racie… oh, Racie… I think she is the weakest character in the entire series. She doesn’t have a single line of dialogue in the entire book, a single character trait other that being mortified all the time: she doesn’t bring anything to the table whatsoever. Which is a real shame, I think you could have utilised her being a hacker and given her the sense of humour of the user she is based off of. Right now she very much feels like one of those stereotypical characters that are very cowardly, but actually have great strength, but without the twist regarding strength which makes this comparison completely pointless and now I look like a fool…

• The story feels very rushed

This book has two parallel plot lines unraveling independently at the same time, which is one plot line more than usual. So, it would make sense for it to be significantly longer than the other ones. But, judging by the rate at which the story has been developing, this isn’t going to be the case. Currently there are 16 chapters in total, 11 of which are about Tott and the other 5 - about Tomorrow, (my math might be incorrect because I can’t count) and, judging by this statement,

The end is very near. In three chapters, even.
And the problem is that not much has happened in the book. There is no room for the characters and the reader to breath and, because all the events occur at such a fast pace, none of them feels all that important. The most severe example of that, in my opinion, is the party’s stay in the town there the street fight took place. Their presence there was so abrupt that I thought that this entire section was completely redundant… and that makes for a perfect transition into the next criticism:

• There in no buildup and direction in this story so far

Because of the story occurring so quickly, I didn’t feel much buildup to its culmination: the standoff against Volume.
Normally, a story has a direction in which it develops, which is set by the goal(s) of the main character(s).
The party in Tott’s part of the story has a clear goal: to find and kill Ghid, which is good because you can easily build the entire story around this, but here’s the problem: the characters don’t really do anything to find him, they are just led there by the invisible hand of the author.
Let’s look at the overall story so far: the party get arrested by the police because they were burying a bunch of bodies in an inappropriate location; they kill the officer and find out that the car is possessed by a skeleton king; they’re chased by the police; they are arrested by the police again; they escape from the police to some random city; they meet some kind on an AI there, but they’re separated because the police arrests them once more; they get dragged back to the police building, where someone called Volume wants to meet them; turns out Volume is actually Ghid; they fight.
As you can see, there’s next to no direction in the story. Essentially they just sort of stumble into Ghid by accident in the end with no buildup to that moment.
I think that Tomorrow’s side of the story is much better in this regard: there was a clear goal: to overcome Ghid’s influence, and Tomorrow completed that goal. But his journey to that wasn’t all that long to begin with and consisted out of two steps. And now we loop all the way back to my second criticism.

Well, I’m hoping that your words about those three chapters were not true and we will get many more. There are still so many users left that didn’t appear in the book yet, and there’s no way you’re gonna cram them all into those supposed three chapters, right?

Well, Ghid, you certainly got what you asked for, now it’s my turn.

That’s a very convoluted way to say “yesn’t”

Yeah, but which of the Ghids?

8 Likes
But in the end it had to be this way

so this is an issue, but i can’t divulge how I’m going to resolve it just yet.

Don’t you just love it when you can pretend to know what you’re doing all along? :sunglasses:

rest assured this actually was intended, I just seem to have sidelined the pair a bit too much.

that’s-

ok yeah that’s completely fair

that’s the culmination?

accident?

Don’t you just love it when you can pretend to know what you’re doing all along? :sunglasses:

Whaaaaaaaaat noooooooooo I would never cram all the unused users into the last two chapters of the book in a fight sequence that was mostly ignored pfft cmon that would never happen in the last book specifically

it was actually a very convoluted way to say Yes

3 Likes

the original one, not any of the dreamers, I assume (I haven’t read all of BoT so this may not make any sense)

3 Likes
But maybe we’re both the same

Well if you were to extend this book by ten chapters of so, you would have a lot more time to divulge just don’t end this journey so soon please please please

Don’t you just love it when you can make stuff up in your book review :sunglasses:

To be fair, all those characters from the last book were already familiar to us from the previous books so they didn’t need to established. This time you don’t have that privilege because some of these users are going to appear for the first time… well, at least that’s what I tell myself to try to erase my pain and sorrow…

Wooooo yeah baby! This is my first big theory that was approved by ghid

Well… we still don’t know which one is the original, so I guess we could do a little theorising. When you catch up, that is.

8 Likes

ok by the original I mean the one who is not tott who is also not a dreamer and exists in the real world

5 Likes

Ch 16

Chapter 17

The crisp cold wind suddenly whipped against your face. You looked down, staring at the snow covering your ankles, wondering if it wouldn’t have been easier to simply move the boat down the mountain rather than moving the whole party up to it. The Chronicler floated at your side, dutifully writing away at his tome containing every action you ever took and every thought you ever… thought.

“There is a matter I wish to discuss before we embark,” The Chronicler interjected in your musings, not bothering to look up from his paper. “Before you took control of this place, The One To Trust made some mention of me being granted life.”

You looked up at your scribe. “I haven’t forgotten. But before we can attempt that, we need some way of reaching Ghid- The One To Trust. How can we do that?”

“I was honestly convinced you had a plan.” Jethryn commented, rubbing his arms from the cold. “Hey Sonus, would you mind heating up a little? I’m going to die of being cold before boss-brain here figures out his midlife crisis!”

“I don’t know why I missed you.” You murmured at your very dear friend as SON∩S glowed brighter, the snow around the group beginning to melt away into the rough, unwelcome rock of the mountaintop. “Chronicler, what can we do to find Ghid?”

“I know him only as The One To Trust, I am afraid.” The Chronicler replied, shrugging two of his shoulders. “Perhaps you should tell me who he is in greater detail.”

“Okay…” You closed your eyes. In your memories and thoughts you sought and sifted every appearance that Ghid had made, including his more recent ones in this strange land of possibility. You thought of every sinister expression, dubious act, and you thought- you commanded this world to show you this monster, this fiend, The One to Trust.

A wide brim walked out of the darkness, two blue eyes glowing underneath it. Diero’s grin was just as devious as ever, and for a moment your mind was filled with the horror that somehow your trusted ally, that rustic gunslinger, was the monster legends had been built off of.

His manner was menacing as he approached, as if he had no compunction about tearing your throat out. Then you could see the lines running from his wrists and ankles, high into the air, where from a shadowed perch law the bony hands of a thousand Ghids, all tugging and pulling the lines that kept Diero moving ever forward.

But a cord ran from the nest of Ghids, higher and higher into the air, as the rest of Diero and his puppet masters fell away, the other end adhered to a folded scrap of paper. Reluctantly, you reached for it, held it in both hands, and unfolded it-

'Tott is your master now.'

Your eyes opened.

Reaching forward, you wrote with your finger in the snow that remained.

The
One
To
Trust

“I’ve been such an idiot.” You sat down, looking at your handiwork while The Chronicler hovered behind you, looking at both the name Tott in the book and The One To Trust written on the ground, not quite getting the connection. “You summarized his name as an acronym and gave him something?”

“No.” You pressed your fingers to the bridge of your nose. “Tott. He’s someone I used to travel with, someone… He was Ghid the entire time. And I handed Diero over without the slightest consideration.”

Sensing the confused stares from everyone, you continued. “Diero is a Dreamer - a sort of genie-golem thing that can do literally anything you tell him to, as long as he eats it in written form. He was what my plan was hinging on, and I handed him directly over to Ghid.”

“He’s in Tott’s control, though. And I know Tott’s Ghid, but hear me out.” Jethryn commented, raising his hand in protest to your beginning to correct him. “Diero was assigned to Tott, so if you got rid of Tott, wouldn’t that make Diero free real estate again?”

“It’s a good enough plan for me now get off me.” The axle complained, as Jethryn was standing on him. He continued, not seeming to pity the pole’s plight. “I have a theory which revolves around just how powerful you are, but figure out your chronicler’s issue first.”

Slowly standing, you looked with some gravity towards your Chronicler, who flexed his hands before speaking. “You must will this book to write all on its own. If I stop writing, your story ends. So please, make it capable of penning the story for you.”

Without a word, you mentally commanded the parchment to accept ink without the need of a pen, and seamlessly the book filled in the words before the Chronicler’s pen could touch them. With another thought the clipper ship, which had been silently circling above the peak, swept down near your party and awaited your arrival.

“Only one last thing.” You stepped towards the Chronicler, as he flexed his now freed writing hand. “Everyne who lives is someone, and you’re not bound by Ghid’s will anymore. Who do you want to be?”

The Chronicler looked towards the clipper ship even as you recalled the strange persons you met who had crossed the bridge between fictional fantasy and the real world. SON∩S, who now floated silently beside you, had inhabited Jethryn’s dreamer, and the three metal giants whose cobalt swords had nearly killed Tott right then. If only… The trouble that would have saved.

“I know what I’d want.” The Chronicler looked down at the book, the page turning to begin anew. “And I’d like you to make it as tough as that fellow you thought of was. Barring any criminal activity… A ship must have a captain, and a Pirate Captain I’d like to be.”

“That’s dumb get off me.” The axle complained again. “I promise, I’ll start screaming in your ear if you don’t EEAAAUUUGGGHH!!

It was unclear if the scream was caused by Jethryn deliberately stomping on the piece of metal, or the equal parts fascinating and repulsive transformation occurring before you. The Chronicler’s body warped and peeled, recycling pieces of itself over and over until a humanoid figure eventually emerged from the shifting mass - one with metallic skin, coat, and beard, a white glow in his beady eyes, and the same blue sheen reflecting off his feathered pirate hat.

“Don’t forget.” You took hold of the Chronicler’s shoulder. “You are not anything different from what you were a moment ago. Your actions, who you choose to be, will decide who you really are.”

“I appreciate your wisdom, Tomorrow.” the Chronicler replied, a gleam in his eye. “But today I am far different than ever before. I’m alive.

With a whistle he beckoned the ship to his side and climbed aboard, beckoning the party to follow. “That rapscallion Ghid will only get so far against our combined forces! Let us be off, and leave this place behind- into the REAL world!” With SON∩S floating starboard, the ship ascended, turned, and flew towards the skyline, your crew safely aboard and anxious to turn Ghid’s head into a fine paste.

“Jethryn, now would be a good a time as any to tell me what you were thinking.” You leaned towards your friend as the rest of the party was distracted with the chance of being free. “If you’ve got a good plan to get to Ghid, now the time to help me save face.”

“HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE’S DOING!!” Jethryn shouted, pointing at you while most of those present turned around in confusion. “So anyway, my idea was to just insist that Ghid himself bring us to him. Or Tott, same thing.”

“But Ghid isn’t here.” You replied.

“That’s part of my theory.” Jethryn shrugged. “It won’t hurt to try, so tell that monster what for and let’s go home. I want to give his teeth a permanent imprint of my shoe.”

You once again closed your eyes. They opened as the whole world around you began to shake and quiver, and you pressed on, eyes open this time, as the sky itself seemed to rattle in protest of your notion. “Now! Everyone get ready!”

Off to the side, a terrible screaming hiss occurred, and a dark tear split open in the middle of the air itself. With a cheer from the Chronicler, the clipper ship spun its wheel and entered through the gap into the darkened sky beyond.

Below, an entire city beckoned the eyes of all on board. A massive canyon flanked it, stretching high above the rooftops. A massive tower floated starboard, and seeing a glass extension adhered to it, you jumped.

Ch 18

3 Likes
The world has turned And so many have burned

One journey will come to a close by the end of next chapter.

And it will come
Like a flood of pain
Pouring down on me
And it will not let up until the end is here
And it will come
Through the darkest day
In my final hour
And it will never rest until the clouds are clear
Until it finds my dreamers have disappeared

I think it might be Ghid

4 Likes

ah yes my favorite character from BoD that one perfect guy who has one line of dialogue and then dies

6 Likes

three lines Cordax ugh smh smh smh smh ugh ugh smh ugh :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

did he even represent a user or was he just some guy

3 Likes

read BoT

2 Likes

give me one more day

4 Likes

the real Ultimate Bo_ Theorizer did it in one :triumph:

3 Likes

listen reading all of BoD in less than two days really burns you out

3 Likes

So just to clarify, but Zippy and AI are two separate characters right?

4 Likes

that’s odd because burnet hasn’t read any of it

lifetime comedy award 48, I finally found you

Yes, Al and Zippy are two different entities.

3 Likes

Ok so there’s a little problem that I discovered

Tott hired Monopoly to off all of the people on the BoR mission

But here, Tott says that he wants the party to be able to defeat Ghid once and for all

Tott hiring Monopoly completely goes against the motives that are stated in this book

Oh also In BoD Renner says that Pakari is M.I.A., but he’s actively working with the police

so how would he be marked as M.I.A. if he’s employed

5 Likes

source?

ghid’s been speedrunning these chapters lately, though the latest seems pretty nice. Renner and the rest have made their way into the real world…

So, in BoR Pakari and Bird, two policemen, got killed, along with many other people. That’s why Renner said that they were M.I.A. But, at the very end of BoD literally everyone that had gotten killed in the cider factory got revived by a computer underneath it, including both Pak and Bird. When the final battle of BoD ended, these two returned to work in the police building.

This… also confuses me though.
Maybe he had a change of heart or something

Wasn’t Tott the third party that gave Monops a coat and sent him to the factory? Cordax and I both remember that, which means that it has to be true.

Theory: this Chronicler is TheCobaltCorsair

8 Likes