The Brotherhood of Makuta: Hormahk

Name: Hormahk
Assigned Region: None
Mask: Great Kanohi Avsa, the Mask of Hunger
Tools: Ornamental Bladestaff
Lore: The enforcer on the island of Destral back in Miserix’s rule, Hormahk was a callous, single-minded, and feared Makuta. Fiercely loyal to Miserix, he rarely made decisions of his own, instead letting Miserix guide his will. He interrogated and executed intruders and enemies of Mata Nui who found their way to the Makuta island of Destral, and was known for his thorough work. If someone was left alive after being interrogated by him, their mental state certainly wouldn’t be an indicator of their livelihood, babbling and barely in control of their own body. Hormahk had no sympathy or empathy, and did not understand any concepts other than loyalty to Miserix, and fear. He had full access to the standard powers of a Makuta, though rarely used any, with the exception of shapeshifting (as it was an effective tool in interrogations). His powers of shapeshifting are used to fabricate a Makuta’s mask to wear on his chest, as a reminder to the Makuta of what would happen were they to step out of line. When Teridax attempted to seize control of the Brotherhood, Hormahk was ordered by Miserix to execute him as a traitor, along with his followers. He approached Teridax, and asked him how he would prefer to die. Teridax’s response was to impale Hormahk with his own bladestaff. Hormahk fell, stunned, and Teridax ripped the bladestaff from his chest. Hormahk’s antidermis seeped from the gash in his armor, and died. Icarax, who was sided with Teridax at the time, took the bladestaff and would use it in his battles at Karda Nui. Hormahk’s death was a large catalyst to Teridax’s takeover, as once the enforcer of Destral was gone, the other Makuta were less afraid to join Teridax.

I finished most of this project in one day, as I spent so much time planning and waiting for inspiration, but I think the wait was worth it. I’m very proud of this MOC, and look forward to seeing what you all think! Constructive criticism is, as always, appreciated.

EDIT:
Hormahk V1.5 is here, with only 3 building changes and one posing change, so I can’t call it a V2, but the changes are enough to want to post this update.

Changes made:
Turned his lower arms sideways, because they look better that way.
Flipped his shoulder armor around to make the MOC flow better.
Removed the hip armor and placed it on the back of his legs. Not only did that make his lower torso look better, but it helped armor up the back of his legs more and added a surprising amount of stability.
I also, at @Gilahu 's request, gave him a chain around his right arm, because his claw looked lonely.

Once again, I hope you guys like it, and I always welcome constructive criticism!

14 Likes

The look of the legs is interesting.

Overall, it looks pretty cool.

1 Like

The legs are one of the things I liked the most when I was coming up with the initial design. The arm design and mask on his chest came to me while building, and I was pretty pleased with the way it all came out.

I think he looks pretty cool

mask in the chest threw me off at first

1 Like

Ok, an interesting Makuta we have here. I really like his story, although his time of death clashes a little bit with the Mutran Chronicles, but that’s not a big enough thing to tell you to change it.
However, I would change his assigned region to “none”, because the leader of the Brotherhood was traditionally the Makuta of Destral.

As to the MOC:

• a very interesting lower arm build, I haven’t seen that yet
  • legs look very nice
  • good integration of the noble Avsa into his chest
  • Nuva armor on his hips looks a little bit off, perhaps because of the round shape, I’m not sure
  • his shoulder … whatever it is supposed to be seems a little too bulky for my taste, especially with the space between these and the head being so bare
  • I personally feel like his wings are placed too low on his back, but these are Bionicle, so “normal” proportions aren’t really necessary

Something also tells me, that chains would look very good on him, those that came with Hewkii Inika and Vezon for example. Perhaps you might want to try something out there.

Overall a worthy Makuta MOC. Nice job! I’m glad you participated!

1 Like

I claim to be a BIONICLE lore enthusiast and I still haven’t read the Mutran chronicles. I’ll have to get around to that. The Nuva armor is really just there to keep everything full down there, it wasn’t my first choice of armor. The lower arm design came to me randomly while building, and I was like “That’s genius!” I might put it up on the MOC how-to section of the boards, because the design is useful for a lot more than arms. Thank you for having me in the project! If the mood strikes me I might make another (though currently I’m going to be working on the V2 of my self-MOC).

Hormahk V1.5 is here, with only 3 building changes and one posing change, so I can’t call it a V2, but the changes are enough to want to post this update.

Changes made:
Turned his lower arms sideways, because they look better that way.
Flipped his shoulder armor around to make the MOC flow better.
Removed the hip armor and placed it on the back of his legs. Not only did that make his lower torso look better, but it helped armor up the back of his legs more and added a surprising amount of stability.
I also, at @Gilahu 's request, gave him a chain around his right arm, because his claw looked lonely.

Once again, I hope you guys like it, and I always welcome constructive criticism!

2 Likes

chest mask continues to be spooki

the shoulders look a bit off because of how blocky they are, but it seems fine other than that

1 Like

I might increase the length of the arm underneath the armor, but I really like the shoulder armor’s look. It’s like, armor wing things.

Also, the spooky chest mask is easily my favorite part of this MOC.

1 Like

Yes, the relocation of the former hip armor looks much better. And that chain on his right forearm gives him some nice detail.

1 Like

That is a very nice Makuta! I especially like the weapon and the wings. Great work!

1 Like

Those are probly the simplest parts of this MOC, but they’re also some of the best looking aspects of it. I guess sometimes simplicity is king.