The Brotherhood of Makuta - What About a Community MOC Project?

@Povak

Sure you can.

As to backstory I really only need the basics: What did he mostly do and how did he die.
What @pizzacheetah said is aczually something that would fit in quite well with my plans. After Hormahks death during the Convocation your Makuta could have been made master of the dungeons by Teridax.
As to his death … perhaps something along the way of being punished for letting Norik and his team steal the mask of Light?

A mask of Transformation seems a little odd to me, though, since Makuta are shapeshifters.

@Silver_Falcon

Sure you can use that.

Updated list is in post 702
Rules can be found in post 702 and additions in post 1

1 Like

I have made a prototype for my Makuta. I don’t have all the pieces I want in all the colors I want 'em, but I’d be alright to send you pictures if you want proof that Jaglak is in fact structurally built at this time.

@E44

No need. I’m fine with your Makuta getting finished when it does. Only try not to forget about it. :wink:

1 Like

Raximoras just needs legs and then he’ll be ready :slight_smile:

1 Like

What, did Obi-Wan cut them off?

Here!

60 Makuta stand completed!

Keep it going guys! :smiley:

3 Likes

Only 40 more to go!

1 Like

I think that as long as the moc is still detailed, ccbs makes excellent armor, especially since makuta are gaseous beings, using add-ons over it still conveys the g1 greeble fairly well.

Speaking of makuta, I’d be up for another one if you need a space filled, unfortunately for me I’d probably have to cannibalize a moc or two for ball joints…

2 Likes

@Payinku

Sure, I’ll put you on the list for a male Makuta then.

Ah yes, ball joints - you can never have too many of them.

EDIT:
Just added two new ideas to post 702 concerning Makuta backstories.

1 Like

@Rac

I’ve been thinking about Makuta Verahk a little, since I was working on his drawing. I read his “original” backstory, looked at your MOC’s topic and …

Well, @Windfall’s Makuta Dredzek topic might mention a Makuta Verahk, but for the “Book of the Brotherhood” I changed so many little things in various Makuta’s backstories that this mentioning isn’t really of importance anymore. Also Verahk doesn’t get mentioned in the “Book of the Brotherhood” entry of Dredzek.

About Verahk’s Custom Bionicle Wiki backstory: It doesn’t work for me at all in terms of G1 canon lore.

And about your MOC: Well, it definitely doesn’t look much like the “original” Verahk.
In addition - if I remember correctly - you just used the name and gave reference to the Custom Bionicle Wiki but didn’t have specific permission by Verahk’s original creator to use anything.

In short: We have a Makuta Verahk that looks nothing like the original, who will get a totally different backstory/ will be a totally different character, and who isn’t needed anymore simply because of the name. Pontential “copyright” issues aside.

Thus I deem it best if his name perhaps gets slightly changed. Something like “Vernahk” perhaps, but I’ll leave that up to you.
You don’t need to change anything in the MOC’s topic.

1 Like

What about Verana?

@Rac

“Verana” sounds a little too feminine to me. But if this is what you want to change it into, I’ll do that …?

Really? I guess that’s mainly because it ends in an “a”. And now that you mention it, I can’t imagine it as non-feminine, so…
What about “Venarak” then?

1 Like

@Rac

Ok, I’ll change the name into Venarak on the list and put it on the drawing then.

That’s 30 drawings done and 20 backstories written of which 13 are already edited. It’s slow work, it’s hard work, but I think it will be worth it.

1 Like

Finally have time to work on this. Been quite a while, too. Ah, well.

As long as AP work doesn’t pile up I should be working on her for a bit.

1 Like

@Aegyptiacus

Ok. Take all the time you need, but it would be great if you could give feedback on your progress at least once a month since you have one of the very limited female Makuta. Thanks!

And for everyone … I’ve been working quite a lot on the “Book of the Brotherhood” and the drawings lately, as you maybe have seen on the list. Well, let’s say I feel like some Makuta’s personalities and backstories get a little repetitive at times. Especially brutal warriors and creators of very dangerous Rahi seem a little overrepresented to me.
The Makuta were originaly created as scientists. Even if they took it later upon themselves to keep peace in the Matoran Universe this still doesn’t make them essentially skilled and brutal warriors. The Brotherhood had an army second to none - why would the Makuta need to be warriors themselves? Generals, yes. A few who used their combat skills on special targets, yes. But I feel like we have already enough of them.
Dangerous Rahi? Of course there are some, but Matoran seem to be able to travel around without stumbling over a Doom Viper every few steps. This project needs more Makuta who actually built working ecosystems, not deathtraps, who spent their time analyzing how the Universe worked, not how to wreak havoc in it.
Especially the Makuta who died before Teridax became leader of the Brotherhood should have pursued more… peaceful goals. After Teridax replaced Miserix, there was more room for excentric or morally questionable experiments. However, this doesn’t mean that the Makuta aren’t allowed to try gaining something from their new knowledge. A Rahi creator who studied how ecosystems worked might have hoped that he/she could create a Rahi that could adapt to nearly every environment and thus became one of the best known Rahi in the Matoran Universe - earning its creator some fame within the Brotherhood.

Ok, enough talk, here are the two new rules I’ve thought up on that matter:

1) Warrior rule:
Your Makuta isn’t allowed to be a full-time warrior or best known for his/her fighting abilities. Your Makuta is allowed to fight in the battle against the Barraki, but should only play a minor role there.

2) Rahi creator rule:
Your Makuta isn’t allowed to specifically create only/mostly dangerous Rahi, very big Rahi or try to create anything other that is particularly big and/or dangerous.

As always these rules are open for discussion before they get added to the official rules for this project. @pizzacheetah, @21sselliW - you probably are most interested in this again ;).

3 Likes

I figured this would be inevitable. There’s no way to make 100 Makuta without them being a little redundant.

That said, how many Makuta are warriors? By my count, 23 of the current 59 with backstories (And that’s only those I remembered the backstories for) Female Makuta in particular seem to be warriors, or some other role, and I think Kindrix is the only real Rahi Maker (Not counting Kraiden, whose backstory isn’t given) There’s also some diplomats/island rulers/other roles, and with those, it goes up to 31.

Now how many Makuta have been driven Rahi makers/experimenters? (The Makuta didn’t just create Rahi; that was just their biggest thing) I count 15 (I’m counting Xoth and Isthra here, since I didn’t say what they do) Yet, what were Makuta most known for before Teridax? Okay, besides the war with the league, they were known for making Rahi, for experimenting, and working with viruses. Even taking out Mata Nui was done with science. And the Karda Nui team had two scientists (Chirox and Mutran).

What about the Makuta who created dangerous Rahi? Uloki, Chirox, Napak, Erevor, Shornos, and maybe some others I can’t recall off-hand. I’d be willing to accept maybe one more, but more than that seems to be pushing it.

I’d like to see a Makuta or two who died not because his Rahi killed him, not because she died in battle, but just because of an experiment gone wrong. Of those, we only have Ormen.

~W12~

3 Likes

To quote myself:
“Only weirdos like Icarax actually practiced combat frequently, the others all had things to do. Makuta things. [Insert vague description of the Brotherhood’s role under Mata Nui here]”

Jokes aside, combat wasn’t really the reason the Makuta were made, so a whole quarter of the Brotherhood being dedicated warriors seems like a fair amount.

1 Like

@21sselliW

I haven’t counted, but the numbers you gave seem about right to me. With some Makuta I interepreted the backstories a little differnetly than probably expected just to get some more diversity.

It’s interesting that you see Isthra as a Rahi creator rather than a warrior since the information you gave about her made her more or less a “Gorast-type” in my opinion.

The way I see it there are roughly five main types you could classify the Makuta in:

• Rulers
  • Rahi Scientists
  • Other Scientists
  • Warriors
  • Special Assignments (these might overlap a bit with others, but these Makuta have “jobs” that make sense to have in a major organization of the Matoran Universe)

… you know, I might as well add a rough list (only including Makuta that I presently definitely know what to make of - and only out of memory)

Rulers:
Teridax, Krika, Miserix, Antroz, Jsasax, Furtaan

Rahi scientists:
Mutran, Chirox, Xoth, Hesbrix, Uloki, Clanik, Anjan, Manguopo, Napak, Aplekisa, Irutra, Kindrix, Ahkaxx, Shornos

Other scientists:
Netrux, Venarak, Tridax, Marzek, Ormen

Warriors:
Icarax, Bitil, Jarnat, Gantil, Troodax, Crytoss, Erevor, Piraunga, Erdorn, Gorast, Isthra, Scarla, Thorkahn

Special assignments:
Tagah, Hormahk, Dredzek, Xirok, Ornek, Tak, Jormuntrax, Cenred, Sachel, Karthax

1 Like