The Brotherhood of Makuta - What About a Community MOC Project?

Waitava from Wanitama is fine.

I like the sound of Maigaru, but ideally I’d like a name that retains the “ng” from Manguopo, as to me it’s the most distinctive sound in the name.

I’d also like to know the Matoran meaning behind the new names (assuming the RSG creators are still basing them on OutofGloom’s dictionary).

I’m assuming this process will happen again with the masks, and I’ll say now that I’ll be fine with seeing Manguopo’s mask name changed. The original is basically a joke, and I think it would take away from the overall RSG lore rather than add to it. I’d also like to reiterate that my intention for his mask of convenience was for it to alter probability to make what he was searching for easier to find, rather than contain a pocket dimension for storage. But, whichever is easier to implement as an actual game mechanic is fine with me.

(And, while this is obviously not my call, I will say that I think “Holmahk” sounds to much like “Hallmark” for my liking, and just makes me think of their sub-par Christmas rom-coms. I understand why Hormahk would need to be changed, though. I also completely forgot that their was a MOC in the project named Kerona. That aged… interestingly.)

Oh, and if you can put “Benji Huether” next to my alias, that would be appreciated. After over a decade of going by Daribrick999, I’ve grown attached to the name, but in this semi-official credit, I’d like my actual identity represented, too.

4 Likes

I can’t truthfully claim to understand RSG’s reasoning here. The naming scheme of Bionicle is very diverse.

To use my own MOC they’ve highlighted as an example, I fail to see how ‘Erdorn’ sounds in any way incompatible with the likes of ‘Bitil’ or ‘Gorast’, (or indeed how ‘Erdavar’ is any better).

I don’t want to start an argument, as I know they have every right to vet things they’re adding to their project, but it just comes across as a bit presumptuous on their part to think that they understand Bionicle better, and are somehow ‘correcting’ our names.

If they really want to change mine to ‘Erdavar’ I’d at least like some explanation as to what their issue with the original was, and how they justify said objection in a franchise that also gave us ‘Thok’.

8 Likes

Ok, after some intense discussion:

@Willess12 Zahtar works.

@StudentScissors It’s mainly the “-ion” ending that is seen as “un-matoric”. Would Barriok work?

@Chronicler Tagah will be kept.

@darkbrick999 What about Mangiru?

This will actually not be the case, as RSG has lots of mask work already figured out, and mask names are going to be descriptive (the Matoran name must describe the power - just like “Hau” means “Shield”).

The first sounds pretty identical to the canon mask of Possibilities. The Pocket dimension mask (Holding) will most likely also be added to RSG canon (if it isn’t already - I think the idea was approved, but nothing else happened yet).
Personally I think Manguopo/Mangiru would lore-wise benefit more from a Mask of Holding, as anotehr Makuta already has a Mask of Possibilities.

Will note that down.

@Timeline15

The answer I got is that Erdorn sounds like “the name of a Teutonic fantasy character”.
Names are changed because it is felt Brotherhood Project name material as a whole is too heterogenous to work as a single unit. The aim is thus to reach a consistency of names with each other, with OutofGloom’s Matoran dictionary, and liguistically.

I also got an explanation for Thok:
(…) Thok is acceptable (…) because Skakdi is demonstrably a different dialect than standard Matoric and we have, up to this point, not distinguished the common given names of Makuta as a separate dialect.

Do you maybe yourself have a preferred alternative to Erdorn?

3 Likes

Alas, I really enjoyed my spider-legged psychotic makuta. Well, if I play doronai nui I will put him in anyway.

Umm… I like the name better? I don’t really have a justification. It was just some gibberish noises I made up. As I don’t really have a justification, they can go ahead with the name change.

Only problem I see with this new name is how similar it is to bohrok in pronunciation. Otherwise, I kind of prefer the new name.

Honestly really glad to see this moving forward again! Thanks for keeping this alive!

2 Likes

No problem, that’s what I consider my job here :wink: .

Actually, now thet I see this - another suggestion from RSG’s side would be “Chirnos”?

2 Likes

That one seems pretty close to Chirox. (Is that right? It’s been a while since I had to spell in bionicle. The black Makuta Phantoka.)

1 Like

Yes, you’re correct. I think the difference in pronounciation is distinctive enough, however. (As far as I can judge as a non-native speaker :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

I guess that’s true. What about the name Sorak? That might make it different enough to not confuse readers or listeners.

2 Likes

Will propose that. Maybe I can get a quick answer.

EDIT

@TBT_Emerald Sorak works

2 Likes

thank you for talking with the team. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like Mangiru, yeah.

As for the mask, you’re right, it would be the same power as a Mask of Possibilities. I’ll be honest, I always assumed that that mask just gave the user visions of possible futures from the name, and never looked it up till now (why isn’t called the mask of probabilities?). Wow. Honestly, I’d just change his mask to that. We know from Mutran and Chirox that Makuta can share masks.

After a quick google to to find out what that term means, I take it that they’re saying the name sounds too Germanic rather than Maori? I honestly don’t know how any of the established canon Makuta names are any better in that regard, but okay.

Now this I just don’t get. The canon brotherhood naming scheme is already heterogenous. Sure, there are a few that share a common ending (Teridax, Icarax, Miserix, and Chirox), but the others really have very little in common (Bitil, Gorast, Antroz, Vamprah, Mutran, Krika). I honestly feel like ‘Erdorn’ sounds more similar to the established names of at least that 2nd group than ‘Erdavar’ does, but I digress.

I suppose if they really insist on changing it, I’d prefer something like ‘Erdran’. I take it they’d consider that more valid, given that it uses the same ending scheme as ‘Mutran’, which is a canon Makuta name.

2 Likes

I’ve noted that down.

I’ve proposed it, will get back to you once I got feedback.

EDIT

Erdran is fine.

3 Likes

Okay, cool.

1 Like

I’ve made it clear in the past that I don’t really care much for RSG’s work, nor their organization (for reasons really not worth getting into here), but Holmahk works fine.

The original name is based on Hormah, a minor location from the Book of Numbers. It roughly translates to “condemned” or “devoted to destruction.” I figured that was appropriate given the character, and the fact that Makuta often have inherently negative connotations to their name (their leader is a couple letters off from “misery”). Thus, I pretty firmly disagree with the notion that their names shouldn’t sound negative. Not all Makuta are evil, but they’re all dark, and plenty have names based around negative and “evil” meanings already.

That all said, I don’t really care if they want to change the name to Holmahk to fit him in to their world. It doesn’t impact me in any notable way.

7 Likes

Thanks for your reply!

Maybe to clear up a communication error - this probably relates to this line?

“Negative connotations” here is meant as connotations/similarities in look or sound to real world terms which are considered inappropriate in some way. (Though in the cases where I know this applies I personally honestly don’t see most of that and didn’t even know most of the words beforehand :man_shrugging:)

3 Likes

Why exactly do the mocs need to change details and names to fit with RSG’s vision, anyway? The collab has been completed at this point, so why are the original mocists being compelled (and a few forced) to alter their creations? Nobody signed up for this.

2 Likes

RSG and the Brotherhood Project are technically separate things. RSG has had not much influence on the BP, but to bring the BP to bear in RSG certain adaptations are necessary. For my Makuta revamps which happen apart from RSG I will stick to the original names, for example.

As to why BP stuff is brought into RSG lore at all - I will not claim that everyone needs to see it that way, but for me personally it’s a way of saying “thank you” to everyone who participated in the BP to incorporate their ideas in a larger and more public project like RSG. That’s something I’ve myself put a lot of work into making possible - while always trying to keep things as close to the original material as I can manage.

Ultimately it’s always entirely the creator’s call to say “no, I don’t want my Makuta to become part of RSG lore” or to formulate (reasonable) conditions for that, though.

Based on the on/off activity/inactivity of several creators, I felt it necessary to establish a “no answer means yes” policy to not leave anyone out. But I also have made it clear since 2018 (while the BP was still ongoing) that the RSG collaboration will be a thing.

3 Likes

Go ahead and rename my makuta lol they deserve it :smiling_imp:. As usual, fantastic job overseeing the project.

1 Like

Dang, I didn’t see this message until it was too late, and I know my opinion doesn’t matter now, but yeah, “Diakur” works!

I believe I have efficiently edited my post! Dang, that topic was in some disrepair

2 Likes