The Chronicles of Fa (Revised)

You’ll have to wait and see. :slight_smile:

Is this on break or…?

School has taken up a lot of time, so I’m stuck having to write parts of the upcoming chapter slowly.

Sorry about that.

Ahh, I completely understand! I have an Honors class, two Language classes, three AP classes and Band.

Totally understandable, started at college (or whatever my country’s equivalent is called) a few weeks ago and it has already consumed much of my time.

Chapter 11

“You have lied to us, Furtaan,” I told him. “You’ve lied to me.”

“My mission is done, Fatorak,” Furtaan said to me, his head turned to his back to look at me. “I won’t destroy the mask.”

“But you originally were,” I replied to him, “and that’s all I care about. You were going to use me in order to destroy all this island stands for.”

Nuhi shook his head. “You don’t understand, do you, Fatorak?”

“What?” I asked Nuhi. Was he actually going to say something wise?

“Our island isn’t about the mask, Fatorak. I would have thought you’d understand that with your chronicles. But nope. Your simple ignorance seems to have blinded you, and now you sound like an utter fool. I hate foolishness.”

Furtaan turned around to me and looked at me, his hands still grasping the mask. Nuhi continued. “You know what really makes our island? The people. The life. The religion. The mythology and stories. All those things make us who we are. Not some idiotic mask. For all I care, it can be destroyed, like Furtaan was really going to do. We don’t need that mask. We were made to work, to live. But this mask… It has become some idol to us, keeping us away from the Three Virtues Mata Nui has given us. Perhaps we should listen to these virtues.”

Furtaan looked at Nuhi. “Nuhi is right, Fatorak. It’s even become a huge part of my life. These visions of the mask and the destinies. It’s all my life has been about. Not serving Mata Nui. Now perhaps it’s time we let go.”

I sighed. Furtaan and Nuhi were right. “I suppose I should let go too. Since now that we’re here, what do we do?”

“We do what we came for. Get the mask off this island and into the hands of the Order of Mata Nui.”

Furtaan made his way to the stairs, with me and Nuhi following. We climbed slowly up the stone stairs, once again wrapping around the round wall, and made it back up to the Hall of Centuries. After exiting the Hall, Nuhi cover up the wall as the sheet of ice again. We had finished our journey.

We walked down the slopes, but Nuhi noticed smoke coming from behind one of the slopes. “Hold it,” he said, extending his arms in front of me and Furtaan. His scope extended in order to view the smoke. His brow lowered.
“It’s coming from Gruku-Wahi. The main city of Ko-Karhi”

Furtaan looked down at me. “Another fire. No doubt that’s the work of Salis.”

“We’d better get there fast, before he destroys anything else,” Nuhi replied.

“Wait,” I said. The rest of them hesitated. “I know Salis too well now. He wants us to come there with the Kanohi Karhi in order to take it from us there.” I looked at the mask. “Give it to me, Furtaan.”

Furtaan was still. He looked at me with wide eyes. “Fatorak, this mask… We don’t know what it would do to a-”

“Just give it to me, Furtaan. You need to go with Nuhi and help the people in Gruku-Wahi. Salis is leading you guys to another trap. He knows you’d come with a mask. But he doesn’t think I’d do something as dangerous as going out on my own in order to get the Kanohi Karhi far away from here. Now go and fight. I’ll make it down the mountains on my own.”

Furtaan glanced over to the smoke where the village was in the horizon. “We’ll go. You’ve made good judgement before, Fa. I trust you again in this moment.”

I hurried down the slope in the opposite direction from my allies, and they went to the village. I was going into the cold slopes all by myself. The entire universe depended on this moment. If Salis got the mask, the Dark Hunters would surely win.

~~

The mountains were a bitter place once Nuhi’s presence was absent. The blizzards rained snow so thick that you could only see a few feet in front of you. One could get lost. For most people, flags set down by previous adventurers provided a way down. However, the blizzard was unforgiving. The flags were buried by snow, so it was impossible to find your way.

Each step required a good amount of energy, as you’d have to lift your feet each step and out of the softer parts of the snow which covered the surface just to advance forward. It was a long, tedious process, but there was no other way.

The golden mask, the Kanohi Karhi, was in my chronicler’s bag. The flap of the bag covered it so none of it’s light would peak out. It would be a dead giveaway if I left the bag open. My only enemy really was nature itself. It would try to open the flap with it’s high speeds, but I needed the bag to stay closed. The venture down the mountain became slower… And slower… And slower…

The snow particles would gather on the edges of holes in my mask whenever I stopped and took a break. It made the protodermis-based mask cold. My breath would turn into a small cloud, which would fade with the wind as it blew. No matter. It would regenerate again with another breath.

My venture came to a halt, however, as I came across a cliff on the mountain. I couldn’t tell how deep it was because of the fog. Better not risk it, I thought to myself. I turned around and began to walk back up the mountain. I’d have to find another way down.

Sweep…

My eyes darted to the source of the sound and my body jumped. I had a very bad feeling that I wasn’t alone. I quickly thought about all the rahi I knew in Ko-Karhi. Mahi, Fu-Rahkti, Qri… And Raptshi.

Raptshi are a carnivorous species, one that hunts by itself and devours anything it can find. They resemble Rahkshi, but have large claws and no Kraata, as well as a sword-tipped tail. And they’re white, which they use to hide better in the snow.

Sweep… Sweep…

Heart pumped faster, and I became anxious. My eyes darted around the area, and my body turned from left to right. My bright green eyes squinted as I heard a growl. I jumped to my right as a Raptshi tried to pounce onto me, but all it succeeded in doing was landing into the snow.

The creature quickly got back up. I ran to my right, and the Raptshi followed. My breathing became more faster, my heart pumped faster. Unfortunately, the Raptshi knew the terrain better than me. As I came toward a small mound of snow, I turned to look for the creature. It was gone. But I knew better. It was going to attack me before I could see it again.

Desperately, I took out the Kanohi Karhi. The mask glowed as I pulled it out. It was beautiful. Without thinking, I took off my chronicler mask and placed the Kanohi Karhi onto my face. I knew what this could do to a Matoran. I knew legends about it, about how only the worthy had access to it’s power. But nothing happened to me.

I saw the Raptshi’s red eyes in the snow again. It growled. I focused on the Kanohi Karhi, hoping I could use the mask. After all, a certain story I’ve documented in the past said it could happen, although it was legend. In this world, though, legends are real. The Raptshi halted with a confused look. It tilted its head. Nothing was happening.

This isn’t good, I thought to myself. Do you have to be a Toa in order to use the mask. However, once the Raptshi moved again, my hands clenched and a stone ripped out from under the snow beneath me and slammed into the creature’s belly. It sent the creature flying back a few biometers. I was astonished by the power. I had just manipulated the element of stone!

I smiled and gave a faint laugh out of excitement. The Kanohi Karhi allowed me, as a Matoran, to use elemental power. The legends were true! But my laughter was interrupted by the sound of a screech. I looked over at the Raptshi. A strange flat-headed creature was stabbing it while it tried to scratch back. I knew what the creature was; it was one of the original inhabitants of Karhi Nui, called the Te-Tes.

Te-Tes are more of a primitive race here in Karhi Nui, but out of respect we often leave them alone. Their heads have an uncanny resemblance to Bohrok-Va and have stubby arms and legs, along with a rather stout body. However, they’re incredibly strong and skilled. A force definitely not to be reckoned with.

I pulled off the Kanohi Karhi from my face and put it back in the bag, then attached my normal mask. Then I approached the Te-Te. It’s spear was hanging out of the Raptshi, vibrating after he let go of it. It panted and then turned its head to look at me. It’s eyes examined my body, and then he nodded.

“So you’re a Matoran,” the Te-Te said with a low-toned voice. I paused to listen for more, but the creature said nothing else. He removed the spear he had in his hand and wiped it off with his hand. A green liquid spilled out of the body of the creature, and melted the snow. It was antidermis. That made me wonder why Furtaan was walking anxiously earlier, when he said he needed to keep his body warm. Was Antidermis already warm enough.

The Te-Te then took his spear and cut off the sword-like part of the Raptshi’s tail. He gave me the spear, while he kept the Raptshi-tail end.

“You’ll need this,” he said.

I was bewildered. I only saw a few Te-Tes on occasion, but never when they were hunting out in the thick snow of Ko-Karhi. I wanted to say something, but nothing came out of my mouth. The Te-Te just stared at me, and then turned around. I guess it had better business.

He grabbed the Raptshi by the tail and began to drag it back up the mountain. “Wait,” I finally said.

“What?” the creature asked. Te-Tes seemed to use little words, at least Matoran words anyway.

“Where are you going with that?” I asked.

“Up the mountains, to my village. Why are you interested?”

“Nobody has actually ever been able to record what Te-Te culture is like, really. I’m curious.”

The Te-Te looked at my apparel again, and then at my mask. He spotted my bag, and raised his brow. “So you’re a chronicler, I presume.”

I nodded, and he looked at his catch. “Well, you certainly did help distract the creature I have here so I could kill it. If you would like to be repaid by visiting us, I wouldn’t mind. It would be an easy reward. However, the great Muaka-Slayer would need to approve it.”

“Muaka-Slayer?”

“Our leader, the great Te-Te. We call him the Muaka Slayer after doing just that. It’s a honorable thing to do, that takes skill. Come, I will take you to the village.” With that, he continued to drag the creature, leaving a trail behind which would be covered up soon by new snow. I followed him to the village.

It would be a better hiding place from Salis than heading to a Matoran village.

1 Like

Lol, dude, school must be taking it’s toll on you!
Pretty good, I’m interested to see what else the Karhi can do.

Finally got around to writing this.

##Chapter 12##
The Te-Tes welcomed me earnestly. I got to talk with them and learn about their customs. They ate the Raptshi that tried to attack me (it’s a delicacy) and I got to know the elder. That was when he told me about what was going on.

It turns out was not safe in the Te-Te village. I got word from one of the scouts of the Te-Tes that Salis fled from the Ko-Karhi village he was attacking as soon as he learned that Furtaan and Nuhi were coming there. Now he could be anywhere. He could even be coming to the village.

“You should hurry,” the chieftain Te-Te said as he came into my tent. “Your pursuer could come any minute.”

I was turned from him, arranging all the paper and pens in my pack. “No matter if I run or not he will still catch up. I need to be prepared to fight, not run.”

The chief tilted his head. “Does he wear a Kanohi that gives him speed?”

“A Great Kanohi, as a matter of fact,” I told him. “Like the one I am currently wearing. This mask is my only defense against him.”

“Then may Mata Nui be with you,” the chief said.

I snickered a bit by that. “If anything, what I’m doing now is against his will.”

“Oh?” asked the chief in an expression of curiosity.

“My pursuer. It was apparently the will of Mata Nui for him to get this mask. I’m trying to work against Mata Nui’s will, but it’s hard to trick a god.”

“I don’t believe Mata Nui intends to see you fail, Fatorak,” the chief said. “You should know this better than anyone. The future changes it’s course. Not all destinies are predetermined.”

“One would hope so, especially me,” I tell him as I wrap my bag’s leather strap over my head.

I left the tent. I didn’t have much time to deal with the Te-Tes unfortunately, but I did take a few notes on their culture. Quite the interesting race they are, as they eat and survive up in these cold mountains in Ko-karhi. I wished I had more time to spend with them, but I didn’t.

Before I left, one of the Te-Tes gave me a staff to use as a weapon to defend myself. It probably wouldn’t do much, but they told me to use it anyways. It thanked them for it and went on my way.

Down the steep hills of the mountain I walked. I used my staff as a way to keep me from falling or slipping. I could not afford to lose both my life and the mask.
I knew I was being followed though. Trails of ice could be seen further up the slope, suggesting water that froze over. That could only mean a being with intense heat was following me. I knew he had to be. He was going to find me fast. Meanwhile, the fog began to build up.

“You know I’m already here,” the Toa said out of the circular sheet of whiteness that engulfed me in the mountain’s fog. He turned around. I should have seen him. He’s orange and white. Quite noticeable colors.

“Don’t think that you have outsmarted me, Fatorak,” the Toa said. I stepped backwards a bit, still looking around. Suddenly, he appeared right in front of me from a beam of light. He had a Great Huna in his hands and placed his Kakama right back on. “I found this beauty in the town. Some old white turaga had it in a backroom. I was too fast for him to see my, of course. In fact, I found a lot of neat things in there.”

I looked behind me. I couldn’t see the rest of the mountain downwards. The fog grew too thick. “I’m not afraid of you, Salis. I’ve never been afraid.”

“You deceive yourself to build confidence, you puny Matoran.” His weapon hung down in the snow while he held it in his right arm. It looked sharper than before. He must have sharpened it to murder me. “But unfortunately, my need for you is done. You stand in the way of me and that Kanohi I was hired to steal.”

I activate the Kanohi’s power. “I don’t care if it’s the will of Mata Nui. I won’t allow you to murder me to get this mask. After all, I’ve been practically fighting a god’s commands anyways.”

His weapon starts to glow a bright orange and some of the snow begins to melt around it. Heat waves bend the light around it to make it look like it has a vibration. He didn’t give a retort. Instead, he lifted his arm and began his strike against me. I lifted my weapon and the blade collided with his. Sparks flew off, giving Salis’s mask shadows to amplify his devilish smile.

He swung his weapon up and around so he could strike me in the side, but quickly I flipped the staff around my torso to block him. The sparks flew again, leaving holes in the snow. However, Salis wasn’t one who would just ignore his mask power. He used his rapid speed to punch me in the gut, leading me to slip off the ground and slide down the slope. I quickly saw the edge of a canyon and I quickly grabbed a rock sticking out of the ground.

Salis slowly moved down the mountain with caution in each step. I looked up at him. His movement showed ambition. I remembered that I still had power in my mask, and I focused on the rock that was in the snow. It slowly began to raise up in the snow. It wasn’t fast enough for me. I concentrated harder, and soon the rock began to raise up in a more rapid rate. Eventually, it helped me get up.

Salis blasted the boulder with his plasma and leaped over to me, getting right into my face as he lurked over. He lifted his arm and the scythe’s orange glow crept near my neck.

“This was what I wanted from the beginning,” he states. “I wanted power. Dominion. Control. Now as I have my blade around your neck, your life is finally mine to control. I have no use for you now. Now your life belongs to me.”

His arm prepared to hack my neck, but I was going to be faster. Quickly, I jabbed my staff right into his gut. He sputtered as I crammed it harder into him. At first glance his eyes showed shock. It wasn’t long before those eyes were met with a smile. The smile provided a faint chuckle, and then a raspy laugh. He dropped his weapon and collapsed onto his knees in the cold snow, his head bowing while his back was rolled and his arms supported his torso.

“… Ehehe…”

The staff still was stuck into his stomach, still vibrating from the impact it took to get stuck. The Toa of Plasma fell over onto his back. His heart light flashed rapidly as he took in heavy breathing. I walked over to him as he lied on the slope. I stood over his body as he looked over to me.

“That mask… It was mine… All mine… Mata Nui… Ordained it…”

His wide eyes showed me that he was going to be fine. That isn’t what I needed. I put my hand on the staff.

“Fa.”

I look down to him, my hand still grasping the handle.

“If you take that staff out… You will… You will be a murderer.”

I put my other hand on the handle.

“You’ll be no better than me, Matoran.”

“What is this, some type of trick, Salis? I’m not going to fall for your tricks. If I let this go, you’ll kill me on the spot right now.”

“Maybe so,” he sputters, and continues with a chuckle, “but I’d hate to see myself die from your hands.”

I lift the staff out of his body. He gasps, but he gives up. The blade of the staff was blazing hot. Something was not right with that. Suddenly, a surge of heat comes from behind me. Salis’s body had begun to glow.

What the heck is going on? I ask myself. Then I remembered what this thing was: a nova blast. A move by Toa when all else fails, when they explode in order to bring about mass destruction. Salis rolls to his belly and slowly gets up, limp and very ill-looking. But regardless he stands on both legs.

“Now then, I’ll take that mask, Matoran,” Salis says, “or me, you, and all the inhabitants in this region will be killed. Is that what you want, Fa?”

His left hand had become pure energy as he raised it up into the air. “You’d better make your decision quick, Fatorak.”

It’s not like I had a choice. Actually, this situation reminded me of those moments in many fictional books around Metru Nui that are popular where there is a lose-lose situation like this. In this case Salis is gonna blow up the mountain or he gets the mask. When I look back as I write this tale, it just feels so unoriginal from a plot standpoint. But regardless, it’s what happened.

“Blow up the mountain, I dare you. It’s not like we’ll both be around to be blamed for this whole thing anyways. Nobody could blame it on me. For all they know, you were the one who blew it up. They had no idea of this deal.”

Salis smiles. “I like the way you think Matoran. Reminds me of myself.”

I smile back. “I hate you too.”

2 Likes

YAS, it’s back! Nice chapter, slightly surprised that the Te-Te spear could withstand a Toa tool, and I’m even more surprised that Fa could hold his own against Salis. As well as that, I found out a little more about the Nova Blast. So yeah, glad it’s back!

He really didn’t to be honest. He was just using the mask’s power and then basically trying to block Salis from killing him. He only defeated him by stabbing him up close.

Still, I’m surprised Salis’ scythe couldn’t cut through the spear.

Well remember, Salis’s Toa tool is not his original. Back in the beginning of the story, he got his weapon replaced by Furtaan, so really it’s not as strong as his original. As such, it would be more of a fair fight.

Ah, that makes sense.

I should also mention that his tool isn’t meant to stab or slice things in half, but to cut and hack. It was given to him because Furtaan knew it couldn’t cut through Makuta armor.