The design process of the Toa Hagah (OBS. This is not an entry topic!)

Hello Boards!

Tarkur back here with a new post, in preperation for the Hagah canon contest I wanted to share with you my work over the last few months as I’ve been trying to piece together a team. So when the contest actually start I’ll link to this post so you guys can look back at the decisions I made for each character. (OBS. This is not an entry topic, I have seperate renders and instructions made for each of them for their individual topic)

While I really love to build mocs the most fun part about it is the process from idea to finished project so without further ado, let me take you behind the scenes with these 4 posters explaining the development of each toa in detail:

Hope you’ll find them interesting! Would love the thoughts of y’all! For the contest I might give people consent to change armor color in the art but not the masks if that is allowed.

Also I have a groupshot:

//Tarkur

30 Likes

Overall, I like them. Some of these are a little too complicated for my taste, but I understand that everyone has a different idea of what the Hagah should be. After seeing these mocs, however, I think I’m a little more open to custom designs.

The slideshow is very interesting to read and look at, so good job on that as well! You clearly put a lot of thought into each of their designs.

Question: What color is Pouks’ armor (what’s the name of the color in Studio)?

4 Likes

Stud.io calls it “Metallic Black” as for what sets it come in I have no clue.

Thank you, I really tried to find a balance between staying true to the set Hagah and making some creatives spins here and there.

1 Like

Huh, I had always assumed that metallic black would be something like Vladek’s armor

The color looks nice though

2 Likes

According to brickset its the black Rahkshis color… Also I have that Vladek figure and unfortunately his armor is just black.

However BLs metallic black remindes me of the 03 Kraahkans color tbf

1 Like

These all have something interesting going on - Gaaki does look a bit too bulky for my taste, but that custom chest armor is a really creative design that looks cool. Maybe it would fit better on Kualus, given his spiky shoulders (which are attached in a brilliant way!) He looks nice, although the mask/color combination makes me think “Toa Toudo” :smiley:
Bomonga’s build isn’t that special, but I like the thought of making him look friendly by using a Kakama like Pohatu :slight_smile:
Pouks is my favorite - he does look very much like a set, without looking like any character we’ve seen before - I think that’s a great accomplishment! Only thing I don’t like is his spear, which feels a bit like two weapons spawned on top of one another - I’d probably just change it to one of the two options (Matoro blade or Visorak feet)

2 Likes

I am not sold

Ok, then, don’t be, as a wise man once said, “I don’t need the hype”

Seriously though, would love to hear some feedback

Thank, also yee I can see that not being for everyone.

Maybe, though I like the snowflake chest.

Thank

Thank, I do personally rather like the halbeard design but I hear you.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, the Kohrak Kal shield definitely works as a snowflake! I can’t believe I never noticed this before :smiley:

1 Like

These are some really cool ones. Kualus‘ shoulders could be a little floppy irl though. I think the 1-1-1-1-1-1 split is ok but with these you made it really work. I like that you gave Gaaki more flipper like feet.
I will probably not vote painted ones, due to me not having any painting skills, but those will most likely win anyways.

2 Likes

Overall, I’d say these are pretty good. They certainly fit in with the existing Hagah.

I like how you went for unique metallic colours, though I’m wondering if Iruini and Bomonga’s colours are a little too similar, what with them both being gold.

The gunmetal looks pretty good on Pouks.

I’m also not a fan of metallic blue on Kualus in general, but that topic’s already been discussed as much as it could be.

Overall, there’s nothing here that really pops out to make me really want to vote for them, but there’s also nothing that makes me not want to vote for them. I’d be perfectly happy if these were the final Hagah.

Yeah, it must be pretty annoying for someone to just say they won’t vote for it without saying why.

2 Likes

I’m not really sold on Gaaki; I personally don’t want to see Gaaki with gold armor, since it could be confused with a Toa of Psionics, and I’m also not really fond of the look of the Great Ruru.

Other than that, the others are probably may favorite Toa Hagah designs so far!

2 Likes

how are the Gali 2015 masks attached to Kualus’ shoulders?

1 Like

Thank

Bruh, fair though, I’ll elaborate in your topic after my lecture

I mean, I’m not well versed in the psionics colorscheme but I’m viewing the gold on gaaki to be more metallic orange rather than gold. As for the Ruru I choose the mask after corelating it to the toas mask power, unfortuately I’m not a fan of the akaku, I can understand why people can find it a bit off puttting tho.

Like the mask of creation mask stand from the mask maker and skull grinder set but with a balljoint in the empty socket and 2l half liftarms with two axel holes.
Skärmklipp

1 Like

Sorry man didn’t mean to anger you just wasn’t thinking when I posted. The mocs themselves are fine just a little too simple for my tastes even though I know that’s the rules of the contest.
Although I do like the Gaaki moc. Some nice custom work on him. I’d vote for that.

1 Like

Don’t worry, I just wanted to know what you thought. :grinning:

That’s fair, I went with something that looked like the set so there wasn’t much room for custom stuff but I tried to strike a balance.

am I the only one who doesn’t mind the nuva masks?

1 Like

the problem is that they don’t really make sense within the lore.

1 Like

I didn’t mind them either but as atobe says, they aren’t canon compliant in this case and the rules certainly stopped any possibility of them being present in the contest.

I still love these. Nice to see the proces as well!

1 Like