The Hagah, Makuta's Best - BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

Hey everyone. It’s been a while since I’ve been on the boards here, but I’m happy to be back. These are my entries for the BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard. I’ve created all four missing Toa Hagah, and I guess I’ll go through them one-by-one.

Bomonga

Bomonga was the first of the bunch that I made. With him I wanted to bring back some of the classic design motifs seen in the original Onua sets. Bomonga is short and hunched over, for example. He’s also wide and hulking, obviously the muscle of the team. His bulk is achieved mainly from two flat dark gold Kraahkans. If my entry wins and anyone wants to build him irl, I truly apologize. Those two masks will cost a fortune. But hey, it looks cool.

Other Views

Front

Back

Right Side

Left Side

Breakdown Photos

Breakdown Photo (Original)

Breakdown Photo 2 (Modified design for more friction)

Custom Parts

Custom Parts:

The mask is the “Mask of Power Scream” by Galva

The spear tip is the “Ornamental Spear Tip” by Galva

Download link for both here

Size Comparisons

Bomonga with Iruini and Whenua

I’m very fond of my design for Bomonga, however I think I’d be pretty flexible with him if he were to win. The only two reasons he’s flat dark gold is for consistency with my other entries and because the Kraahkans don’t exist in any other metallic shade. There’s always paint though. While I’m keen on the two custom part I used for the spear tip, I think I’d be open to seeing different interpretations of it. As such, for Bomonga specifically;

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (No)
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)

Gaaki

Gaaki was the only Toa I made that came together almost magically. I had a few ideas of parts I wanted to use (Hordika chest plate, Inika leg armor, Turahk spear, to name a few), but I was surprised how well they all came together. She ended up looking almost regal, yet still somewhat aquatic and feminine, partially due to her custom mask (by Galva). I think it’s fair to say I’m in love with the end result.

Other Views

Front

Back

Right Side

Left Side

Breakdown Photos

Custom Parts

Custom Parts:

The mask is the “Mask of Clairvoyance (Toa Hagah Gaaki)” by Galva.

Download link here

Size Comparison

Gaaki with Iruini and Whenua

I was very careful when picking the colors for the Hagah to ensure Gaaki (and Kualus) were not gold. Since blue and gold is the official color scheme for the element of Psionics, I did not want to risk Gaaki getting confused for a Toa of Psionics. I’m also very fond of almost every other changeable detail on Gaaki. As such, for Gaaki specifically;

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (No)
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (No)

Kualus

Original

Kualus was the Toa I struggled with the most. Part of this was due to me struggling to find a mask I liked. Another reason for this was my color choice for his metallic hue, and my choice to not necessitate painting official parts. Due to those choices, I had a very limited amount of pearl dark grey parts to chose from, however I think I made it work. Kualus ended up looking distinct enough from his fellow Hagah to remain interesting, yet similar enough to look like he belonged.

Other Views

Front

Back

Right Side

Left Side

Breakdown Photos

Custom Parts

Custom Parts:

The mask is the “Noble Miru” by Galva

Download link here

Size Comparison

Kualus with Iruini and Whenua:

Kualus is probably the Toa here I like the least. I couldn’t find a mask I really liked, so really (if he won) I’d love to see another take on his mask. I’d actually strongly encourage it. While I’d be flexible with the mask, I wouldn’t be flexible on anything else. Like Gaaki, I was very careful when picking a color for Kualus, as I wanted to stay away from gold. White and gold is the color scheme for the element of Light, and I wanted there to be no confusion between any Toa of Ice and Light. As such, for Kualus specifically;

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (No)
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (No)

Pouks

Last but not least is the last Toa Hagah I designed; Pouks of course. It took a while for me to be satisfied with my pouks, but it did happen eventually. Originally I had his metallic sheen as flat dark gold, and it looked pretty bad. There were plenty of other horrid details that I eventually got rid of as well, but I tried a lot with Pouks. I even tried “a Pohatu”, however I didn’t like how it looked. I also must’ve tried 20 masks on this guy after I found out we weren’t allowed to use the official design of the mask of Emulation. This minor annoyance ended up being a blessing in disguise. I really like the mask I ended up choosing. All in all, Pouks proved to be a lesson in patience, and the great benefits of trial and error. I hope you guys like him as much as I do!

Other Views

Front

Back

Right Side

Left Side

Breakdown Photo

Breakdown Photo

Custom Parts

Custom Parts:

The Mask is the “Mask of Retrocognition” by Galva

The Spear tip is the “Tool Staff of the Wanderer” by Galva

Download link for both
here

Size Comparison

Pouks with Iruini and Whenua

Since I chose pearl dark grey as Pouks’ metallic sheen, I ran into a few of the same problems I ran into with Kualus. There really isn’t a whole lot of parts to chose from, especially with weapons. And again, I really wanted to stay away from painting official parts. But I have no problem with painting custom parts. Because of this I chose a custom spear tip by Galva. While I like this part, if my entry won, I’d definitely like to see if there’s an official pearl dark gray spear tip I neglected. Hypothetically if this did win I would encourage a different metallic sheen for Pouks to rectify this issue, but darn I love how the gunmetal grey looks on him. As such, for Pouks specifically;

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (No)
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)

The Toa Hagah

Stud.io File

Stud.io File

Download here

For good measure, here’s ^^^ some group shots.
I had a lot of fun making these four Hagah. I’ve wanted to see these remaining Toa for years, as Norik and Iruini are probably two of my favorite Bionicle sets. Hey, I like Norik’s mask so much it’s on my self MOC! As important as these guys are for me, I know they are just as important for everyone else. I think it’s super cool the folks at TTV are hosting this contest so we all can finally see the remaining guardian Toa of Makuta Teridax. I truly can’t wait to see whose designs will become canon. I wish you all good luck!

38 Likes

These are pretty cool, especially Bomonga. I’m also a fan of Earth Toa being bulky and hunched.

The way Gaaki’s arms are attached baffled me until I saw the breakdown photo. To be honest though, having seen how it’s done, I’m concerned about whether she’d actually be able to keep them raised with just a round pin holding them up.

3 Likes

Good team you’ve made here. And great job with holding out your patience, Pouks is definitely my favorite of these. Good luck in the competition.

2 Likes

These are pretty good.

1 Like

I think this is my favorite Gaaki of all the ones I have seen.

2 Likes

Isn’t that how the original Hagah attached their arms as well?

If anything, this would be more secure.

No, no official Metru build set has done that.

2 Likes

No they wont be able to hold up. An earlier version of my gaaki had similar arm attachments and the shield arm wasnt able to hold up at all without modding it through illegal means.

I like the mocs the look great. And they are even mostly purist.

I phrased that poorly; obviously the official Hagah didn’t use a pin through a socket.

The point I was making is that the official Hagah also had an arm supported by only a single pin. Why should this be any different?

And this pin is using two studs of engagement, while the original Hagah only used one, so this would be stronger.

Apparently not.

We might not be talking about the same pin here. I’m referring to this:

1 Like

Yeah i wasn’t referring to that one but right next to it there is a half pin half axle one and i thought you talked about that. But the ones you meant does hold up but it isnt holding up because of the one i meant

Might be slightly different pieces, but I tried the shoulder attachment just now with an axle and it held up just fine for me. It could just be yours are a bit loose, or mine are a bit tight.

1 Like

Put a hagah shield on the arm and it will probably flop around

Yeah, that won’t support it.

Although I have found that the new “1+2” pins have better friction; one of these would probably hold the weight:

Obviously you’d have an open pin inside the chest cavity, but so did the original Hagah.

1 Like

Yeah those would have to be used irl

Good suggestion. I think I’ll try it myself IRL. To be honest, I didn’t even consider the strength of her arm.

Edit:

I tried some new designs IRL. It didn’t look like anyone really noticed, but Gaaki Kualus and Bomonga all share basically the same arm design, so I had to redo all of them. The newer design anchors the modified pin (the one connected directly to the upper arm) to the inner torso. The only movement from the arm now comes from this pin. And there is plenty of friction to hold up the shield. Here’s some pics:

Bomonga

Gaaki

Kualus

Thanks for the comments, they definitely helped.

2 Likes

Rather snazzy builds. Probably my favorites so far.

Also, first time in a long time I’ve seen someone use those sorts of connections for the joints. Good for making tiny legs and other small joints out of things like Mata hands.

1 Like

Very good mocs, good luck

2 Likes

Was mixed on your entry when I first saw it, but it grew on me over time. I appreciate how it takes some unique liberties with each character without deviating too far from the Metru era aesthetic, and the Gaaki in particular is one of my favorite renditions I’ve seen.
Would definitely vote for this, good luck!

1 Like

So I keep looking back on my Kualus, and yeah. I had some big issues with him. For one, he had Nuva shoulders, like Norik. I wanted to change these so every member of the team could have unique shoulder armor. My second issue was his Metru forearms. Originally I thought this was a unique twist on the Hagah build, but now it’s really bugging me because it’s too different, so I changed them. Here’s the new version:

I also obviously changed the mask. This new mask is called the “Noble Miru,” also by Galva. The download link is the same one I had before. There are also a few minor interior changes in the torso to add friction, but those aren’t super noteworthy.

Other Views

Front View

Back View

Right Side View

Left Side View

Size Comparison

Kualus with Iruini and Whenua

Then here’s some new group shots:

Honestly, I’m still not in love with this Kualus, but I definitely like this new version more than the old one.

4 Likes