The History Discussion Topic

Did the mongols rule an empire for almost 1,000 years?

I didn’t think so.

@Eljay , close this thread. Before someone teaches these people about the actual history of the US, the west and make a complete 180 of their beliefs.

They had more land.

More then.

:shrug:

Hi, Slime here, a Moderator if you don’t know, and creator of this topic,

You’ll note that Eljay was also concerned about the potentially political nature of this topic, and said above

For a year and a half now, this topic has managed to avoid political discussion. As such, I see no reason to close it now.

8 Likes

@TeslaEffect I’d say there’s some history for ya. What Slime said is true. Topic stays.

9 Likes

You never can avoid politics when you talk about history. Thats impossible, specially cause most of the history books are written to be politically proper and by the winners instead of actually being true records of history.

So please close this thread.

I want to hear what people think about the relationship between stories like The Illiad and The Aenied when it comes to actual history. Do y’all think there is likely to be some truth that spawned the legends?

1 Like

Well…
So recently I’ve been studying about Mexico’s story in general and I find it quite enjoyable.

What I like the most was the empires, culture and artifacts of ancient times.

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to get back into the culture of the Mexica and the Mayans recently. They’ve always fascinated me. Anything in particular?

1 Like

I found their military tactics quite interesting.

The Mexicas in particular, given that they had some code of honor, that if their squad comander was defeated, they would let the enemy go, and eventually go after them again after a while. This sadly was their doom later on.

2 Likes

I always found it interesting how they viewed the world. Their god Quetzalcoatl had been exiled by his bloodthirsty brother, Huitzilopotchli, who demanded human sacrifice. To satisfy this god required constant war to keep a steady stream of prisoners to satiate their deity. Interesting stuff.

1 Like

You’re partially right there. History is, by it’s nature, biased. Whether you’re talking about Roman, Serbian, or American history, each person is going to bring a certain viewpoint to the table. That viewpoint is going to depend on where the person was educated, and what type of experience they’ve had in the world.

However, historical events happen. Julius Caesar conquered Gaul. Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated. Abraham Lincoln was President during the Civil War. These events happened, regardless of political bias.

What becomes a dangerous topic on our Boards is when people start offering their own opinions onto these events, e.g. “Julius Caesar conquered Gaul and I think that was right.” Now, you are no longer discussing a historical event. Instead, you are giving political discussion on a topic.

9 Likes

And that effectively sums it up. This discussion is over. If you would like to continue to dispute it, please do so in PM. Thank you.

8 Likes

The Illiad is based on a real war, in my opinion.
Probably over shipping passages and land, not some weird love story.

There is historical evidence that some of the events in the Illiad, despite being romanticized, did happen. The Trojan Horse was probably a giant battling ram, and there was an invasion of Troy.

1 Like

I forget where I read that, though.
It may have been in a National Geographic magazine…

A lot of ancient stories do have some historical background to them. Of course the truth has been stretched to make myths on them, but for things like the Illiad, some of the events in there did actually happen.

1 Like

Actually, while his leading role in uniting Germany would ultimately lead to WW1, during his time as chancellor, he maintained a delicate balance of alliances deliberately designed to avoid such a European war. It was just the foolishness in Wilhelm II’s decision to fire Bismark as well as the ineptitude of the subsequent chancellor that would ruin this balance and drive Russia away and Great Britain and France closer together…

Holy smokes, maybe I did learn something from AP Euro. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Good! You’re taking the AP Exam right? You seem pretty good to go. I took that class last year.

You’re pretty on the spot when it comes to Bismark. It was ultimately Kaiser Wilhem’s fault for firing the guy who helped build a united Germany and eventually causing the outbreak of WWI.

1 Like

Y’all hear about the German archeologist who set out to prove Troy existed in the 1890’s and blew up any chance he had of proving himself right?

Lemme try and dig up the name.

Edit: Here we go.

5 Likes