The Last Douglas of 2020

A rough and tumble wolf man from a rough and tumble year, Douglas Pawfoot Traykar travels the fringes of the Galaxy as a mercenary for hire.

But before we get to that, let’s see some honorable mentions from past Douglases, in order of first appearance.

download.jpeg-1

Which brings us to our finalist:

Feel free to give me any and all criticism that you have so that I can make next year’s Doug even better than this one. With that outta the way, Happy New Year!

28 Likes

Wow these look so cool, it’s nice seeing all these together, are they all from 2020?

1 Like

The oldest is from 2014, and works its way up until now. Which is now outdated

1 Like

Wow so much progress over 6 years!

i feel like I haven’t got much better in my 5 years of knowing Bionicle

1 Like

Eh, it’s really just a lot of trial and error, and a lot more of my transitional stuff was lost with mocpages

1 Like

And a decent amount of pieces :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That does help

Looks good, but the custom head was better.

2 Likes

I love how greebly this is, which I feel really works for a wolf-man.

2 Likes

Thanks man!

I have to say, I’ve actually improved as a bionicle mocist more this past year then in the past five (probably).

Anyway, I love this! Is this your self moc then? I’m going to redo my self moc sometime soonish, any tips? I’ve always found those cheema ultra build heads really hard to use, but this is an excellent execution of it!

1 Like

Yeah, this would be my self moc. As for improving I’m not saying that you should do this, but there were a few months that I swore off building Bionicle, and I feel as though I have a better insight on using system peices in builds. I’d also tell you to do these other things: listen to criticism, look back at your past builds to see what techniques you like and could use again, Figure out alternative ways of building the same thing so you don’t find yourself backed into a corner, and also to just keep building and figuring. I hope this is good advice

2 Likes

It’s the exact opposite for me. I stopped building system for a time and built solely with constraction, and now I’m trying to get into the state where I can reach a balance between the two.

2 Likes

Hey, if it works it works.

2 Likes

The cape, bandolier and jewelry are great touches that help set him apart from the usual bio-MOC (ofc his lupine features do too). Anatomy is believable, armour looks good especially with those splashes of dark blue. It’s fairly clear where the armour ends and furred areas begin, with one major exception being his lower arms. Having both bionicle g2 armour there and fur it’s not clear what’s going on there. The chest print doesn’t mesh well either - I know it’s a legacy from previous versions, but he’d be much better off with a plain one to let your brick-built details draw the eye better.

4 Likes

Hey, I took your advice and it does look better Though I don’t think that it merits its own topic yet.
=P

As for the lower arms, I might try to get more of those fur peices in dark blueish grey and see how that works on the underside.

5 Likes

I preferred the system head, amazing to see how this has progressed over the years though!

1 Like

I think this head fits better because it matches his overall aesthetic better. I usually prefer custom built parts as well because they’re complex and unique but I think it would look a bit out of place.
I wouldn’t mind getting some pictures with the other head to compare though.

2 Likes

This is now the first Douglas of 2021.

2 Likes

I still have it laying around somewhere, so I guess I could do it as an alternative head in lieu of marvel legends.

Yeah, I think I’ll do that next time.