The Mystical Emerald-Man (Comic Book)

I wish everyone a very happy St. Patrick’s day!

5 Likes

Guys I cannot keep this secret anymore. So I am revealing Carolina’s true identity today! The vile enchantress Morgana le Fay.

Happy April Fool’s day!

6 Likes

Doing a drawing stream RN!

5 Likes

Half-way done with issue 10, here are some previews.

6 Likes

Looks good! I’ll be excited to see the newest issue!

3 Likes

Another sudden drawing stream.

4 Likes

The 10th issue is finally released! This one is a little esoteric and religious, admittedly, so I hope folks are ok with that. It is finishing up the story that started from last issue and hopefully ties up some questions that people likely had.

Come July we will be back to our regular Emerald-man programming though!

4 Likes

I really like Crom Cruach’s design. It’s a cool way to maintain the mythical nature of the character

3 Likes

Thank you! I based it off of Pictish symbols and Celtic runes. Originally he was merely a simple dragon but I felt there was something missing, and so I decided to make him look as if he was some spirit off of a Celtic rune.

There is also a version of him in the film Secret of the Kells which took a similar inspiration. I had not watched it until I was writing these issues, but I thought, “hey someone else had that idea, I am going to stick with it because it is cool.”

Both I and that film interpret Crom as a serpent because, in the St. Patrick myths, the top god of Ireland was Crom Cruach when Patrick’s missions began. Traditionally Patrick’s “driving of the snakes” is an allegory to his destruction of these idols and the collapse of the druids’ rule over Ireland. Of course, I take this literally in this comic because, well, I also take the other celtic myth elements literally. :slight_smile:

Crom Cruach’s name also means either “Twisted Horn” or “Twisted Mound (king)”. So what is a king of snakes, that often has twisted horns? A dragon, of course. That is what influenced me to make him appear as such.

Oh! Should also mention: the incident with Lurchu and St. Patrick in the comic is a loose adaption of an incident mentioned in Muirchu of Leinster’s hagiography. I based Lurchu off of the druid Lochru mentioned in there. (And his design may or may not be based off Christopher Lee as Saruman the White.)

6 Likes

Here is a commentary on this previous issue.

3 Likes