The Pridak Incident

Found this…interesting post on [a message board] (http://s8.zetaboards.com/bioniclerevolutionv3/topic/395099/1/)

Lego has long billed themselves as a family friendly company, making toys for children. But now Lego has released a new figure, 8921 Pridak, which includes what appears to be a representation of blood on the sharp parts of the weapons and around the mouthful of teeth. (The word “sharp” is used to describe the intended appearance only, and does not mean that the toy poses any risk of cutting.)

This toy, already for sale in Lego stores and on Lego.com (and beginning to appear in major retailers), is aimed at children as young as seven. (Lego recommends the toy for ages 7 to 16.)

When confronted about this, Lego has been quick to deny any wrongdoing. In a response to my first email, Lego responded by stating: “The BIONICLE story is a variation of the classic tale of good vs. evil, and provides LEGO builders with a unique and inspiring role-playing experience. However, regardless of what information you located on a site not affiliated with the LEGO Group, there is no representation of blood on these new products.” (While this was not the entire email, it was the part that directly responded about the issue, while the rest was mainly padding, no doubt mostly taken from a database of pre-written material, some of which was so dated as to contain blatant inaccuracies.) At the time, it was true that the set had not yet been released, but images of it were already circulating the internet, scanned from an official Lego source.

In response to my third email on the subject, Lego responded with another dodge. “To provide some additional information to you Mr. Miller, the red color is a result of us doing co-injection on BIONICLE pieces in 2007. Red was chosen for its ability to contrast with white. From a design point of view the red color is used as a strong color contrast (the strongest contrast red, white and black) to spice up the white character and differentiate it from previous white characters. But also the red contrast is to indicate or draw attention to the fact that the red parts on the weapons are soft. I would like to assure you that although we have no control over how consumers will view this contrast, the red color will not be portrayed in the storyline or in advertising as blood because it is simply meant to be a part of his natural coloration.” (Padding removed for length.)

However, Lego’s statement was directly at odds with a quote* from Greg Farshtey (author of the Bionicle books, script writer for the Bionicle comics, and editor of Lego magazine). “I was told in July by a set designer that he had suggested putting something resembling blood around Pridak’s jaws. He said nothing about the substance on his tools being blood, so it is quite possible that is not what that is intended to be. I had no involvement in set design, set approval, violence policy discussions, etc., so I have no other info beyond this to offer.”

Common sense would tend to agree with Mr. Farshtey’s version of events, as if the red was simply part of the color scheme, it would be located in areas other than just around the points Pridak uses to attack (his teeth and weapons). Therefore, the evidence strongly suggests Lego has placed it to look like blood, it does look like blood, and now that somebody is upset that it’s blood, Lego claims it’s not blood.

You can help. To contact Lego, call them at 1-800-422-5346 (consumer services) or 1-860-749-2291 (corporate headquarters) to request that Pridak be immediately recalled. (Possibly to be re-released with all white pieces replacing the ones marked with blood.) You can also email Lego using the form Here.

To see pictures of 8921 Pridak taken by customers, click the following links. Picture One (dark background). Picture Two (light background). Picture Three (individual pieces).

Please take the time to contact Lego, and forward this message to your friends and family. Together we can make a difference.

To receive email updates, email us at legobot@juno.com, with “8921 Pridak” as the subject line.

(This email was not authorized or endorsed by the Lego company, Mask of Destiny, Brickshelf, Greg Farshtey, or any of the people who took the photos linked to at the end of the article. Lego and Bionicle are trademarks of the Lego group.)

Is this person overeating? Perhaps…but I get where they’re coming from. What was your initial reactions to Pridak when you first saw him in 2007?

Imagine if Lego did recall Pridak and replaced the red with some other colour :stuck_out_tongue:

22 Likes

When I first saw him I was like “hey m8 waist articulation looks l33t and legit color scheme”.
I didn’t really see it as blood, and, honestly, who cares.
Need I remind you there have been worse things marketed towards children?

11 Likes

Yup, I remember this. Far as I’m aware, this was not the only individual to make this claim, and one of the reasons Greg had to say they were markings in the story.

12 Likes

If it is supposed to be blood, Pridak is a very messy eater…

4 Likes

Well we’ve know that isn’t blood on Pridak since he is a shark, and kind a surprise that no one didn’t say about Krika’s red markings.

as a 5 year old Pridak gave me nightmares

1 Like

Sharks can have blood around their mouth after a fresh kill, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the inspiration

Well, in comparison, Krika’s red colour was more internally co-injected into certain pieces, resembling veins flowing inside his skeleton
Pridak on the other hand, has red streaked on the ends of his blades and mouth so it’s far easier to imagine what gruesome deed he may have commited prior :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Concerned citizen’s a little too concerned.

8 Likes

When I first saw Pridak I thought he looked like he had taken a tube of lipstick and accidentally smeared it all over his face while puckering up. Still can’t unsee it.

Looking back, I think it’s pretty clear it implies blood. Doesn’t really matter though.

7 Likes

I just always thought that it was red markings. 3rd-4th grader me never thought that it could’ve been blood. I guess it just goes to show you that some people can get upset about anything.

6 Likes

Lord knows how corrupted I was as a child, having owned that abomination Pridak.

The moment I saw his red weapons, a deep emotional scar was seared into my mind. I couldn’t go to a beach without triggering violent PTSD of he time I saw a red accented Bionicle.

Pridak ruined my life. Don’t let this injustice go unnoticed.

Please, join the Pridak victims support fund today. For only a small donation of one golden Hau a month, you can help a child who has been scarred by that gruesome toy.

Please send donations to 1234 NotAStreet Way, Uganda. Only you can help children in need.

/s/s/s/s

20 Likes

I honestly never cared, I always thought it was blood. Sure greg says it is markings…(but what if it us actually just blood-stains?, seeing as he attacks things very often) This whole thing seems so overblown and stupid that it only makes sense to exist.

2 Likes

Don’t pay any attention to the box art and instruction art for Pridak – his whole face is red. Not just the jaws; his ENTIRE face. Plus, his spine is red-tipped, and so are the BOTTOMS of his swords (And the red pin in his chest that doesn’t count though). Lego was definitely NOT trying to portray blood.

Maybe, maybe, a set designer suggested “bloody jaws” for Pridak, but if so, it was only ever an idea and never actually made it into the final set design.

~W12~

1 Like

I mean, do GSR lifeforms even have human-like blood for the red to make sense as blood? And how is the “blood” not washed off by the ocean?

Story-wise, the red could only make sense as markings, so Generic Angry Person asking Greg about it seems a bit weird… :confused:

3 Likes

I saw the red as natural markings when I was five years old. Never even noticed it looked like blood until I heard about this controversy years later.

4 Likes

I had never ever even thought about the red possibly representing blood until I read this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

1 Like

This certainly sounds familiar, I remember hearing about this.

I don’t remember ever thinking that the red was blood when I had the set.

2 Likes

Personally, I interpreted the markings as blood when i first got Pridak. It just made sense to me. Once the story became more clear to me, I thought it didn’t make a lot of sense.

Either way. Parents can be morons too and I’m thankful that my parents aren’t.

I understand how the markings could be mistaken for blood splashes, but you have to wonder, why are you getting angry about Pridak when set designs such as Mantax or Takadox, two sets which practically look like demons, exist?

3 Likes

well the concept of a “demon” can be wildely interpreted usually stemming from cultural beliefs (one could argue that the tohunga are demons!) I agree some people are just more sensitive than others; like why can’t they just be cool monsters and let us have kids with it as long as no one gets hurt? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes