The Shadow's Fate... (A choose-your-own-adventure style story)

Option 2; he could solve it by shooting plasma beams–if they stop in mid-air, it’s the wrong way; if they don’t (at least not immediately), he’s on the right path. (Teleportation probably makes more sense, but it feels too easy. XD )

2 Likes

(It is :wink: )

I was going to have this mentioned in the dialogue, but then i forgot. According to how I understand this bit of info the Makuta basically teleport at lightspeed. It was briefly mentioned this part that to go through the walls of the maze it would take years even going that fast. But if my understanding is incorrect, by all means tell me why and I will have to let slide a far too cheap and easy escape from a trap I spent way too much time coming up with :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’d say that’s a fair interpretation, barring any potential word to the contrary from GregF.

1 Like

Hmm… looks like my writing career has reached its peak… an entire 2 votes in a week :stuck_out_tongue: I should have the next bit up tonight, but if not it should be done by tomorrow. Also, I totally didn’t consider actually asking GregF about that :laughing:

4 Likes

I forgot and got hung up, sorry, can I still vote or no?

1 Like

Please, I haven’t yet finished quite yet I may have been distracted by going to see Spectre with friends and usually every vote makes me think a bit about the how and why and such. If i could get all the ideas and concepts in my head down onto the page this would be a much better story thanks in no small part to all the comments :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I’m gonna go with option two, like marendex said, teleportation

2 Likes

I would refer you to a brief conversation with jogn shortly after Marendex’s comment…

EDIT: sorry I didn’t get the next part up yesterday as planned, random stuff tends to happen when I want to write. Or when I want to do anything really. ANYWAY, I should have it up before the end of today. I didn’t fully realize just how close to the climax of this chapter I’m getting. Probably not more than a few more parts to the story I have planned for the Slizer world. Kinda exciting. I hope. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I only just got this notification, thanks boards

um… freakin’ IDK (it also doesn’t help that it’s late when I’m writing this)

2 Likes

I vo–

^^
I agree with the above quote.

2 Likes

I just added this to my last post because I thought there hadn’t been any replies. Yay for me not refreshing the page. Oh wait, I’m pretty sure I did. GG boards GG :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Writer’s Block is the worst when you’re already late :crying_cat_face: I’m working on it I promise. I have everything planned out except for what’s happening right now :anguished:

3 Likes

Chapter 1: The Slizers (Part 9)

“Sorry,” Kraazyk said after a moment, “but I’ve made deals with the devil before. I don’t intend to make that mistake again.”

“Very well. I can’t say I’m not disappointed,” Hiker Mike said, never losing the smug grin on his face. “But I can’t say I’m very surprised either. You have about 5 and a half minutes left.”

Kraazyk watched as Mike gestured to the Blasters and they exited the building, Blasters carrying a hefty amount of equipment that the Makuta could only assume was the Subspace Transmitter.

“Ah’m soorry Ah got ye mixed oop in this Makoota,” Millenium said, his voice filled with remorse. “But Ah appreciate tha-”

The Slizer was cut off by a sudden burst of Plasma erupting outward from Kraazyk just above Millenium’s head. Looking about he saw that wherever there was a wall of the maze the Plasma seemed to continue hovering and glowing, clearly marking the walls of the maze adjacent to them.

Not saying a word, Kraazyk used this technique to continue down the twists and turns of the winding corridors of the maze, teleporting to the ends of the halls to expedite the process. Running as fast as he could, Millenium just barely managed to keep up.

Rounding a corner, Millenium saw Kraazyk reach an intersection. As the Makuta paused to spew more plasma and consider direction the disk Millenium had thrown at Hiker Mike emerged from the wall and struck Kraazyk in the side.

Millenium covered his ears as Kraazyk fell to one knee, screaming in agony.

Everything around Scuba was liquid fear, or it may as well have been. His instructor had pushed him in. For as long as he could recall he had never been able to get in the water. He had been raised on the Sub Planet, but he just couldn’t bring himself to take that leap. The daunting waves swelled ever higher even as he was sucked under.

This was it. The end. How could he survive this? His family had been lost many years ago to the unforgiving and restless seas. As he struggled a current pulled him under. A chill ran down his entire body, leaving him shivering as he struggled against the relentless pushing and pulling of the waves. Scuba had lost all sense of up and down, caught in an endless whirlpool of vertigo.

He opened his eyes at last. Odd creatures swam about the ocean floor. Their voices echoed through his mind, arguing over what to do with the strangely familiar looking reef. “You fix it then you…” “Like … do better…” “… least I can… without…”

Scuba tried to move but found himself held fast in chains. A muffled groan caused him to look to his right to see Ski also bound beside him.

Gasping for breath Scuba regained consciousness with a jolt. Looking about he saw that to his left Torch was in chains as well. The three of them were being held in the cavern below the Power Plant overlooked by the main control room. Attempting to modify some of the systems - and arguing nonstop about how to do it - were Flare and Spark.

“I told you, the coils have to be aligned before we can regulate the conduit pressure!”

“For someone called ‘Flare’ you’re not too bright.” Spark replied mockingly. “If we try to align the coils when the pressure’s too high we risk shorting out the… umm… thing… shut up.”

Whilst laughing at Spark, Flare noticed the Slizers awakening. “Well well, look who’s finally waking up.”

Pain. The Makuta were very well acquainted the feeling designed to remind the brain that, while it may think itself important, there are other parts of the body that would like to continue living as long as possible as well. Mutran had once tried to improve upon the Muaka by removing this vital function entirely. After going on a little rampage across the Northern Continent the creature attempted to catch a Hikaki. Following its quarry into a lava flow the creature burned to death, never realizing that it was in any danger.

For the moment, Kraazyk was envious of the creatures ignorant bliss. After acquiring the Blade of Fate Kraayzyk had spent some time training with many different beings and had been on the receiving end of many different powers, but only one compared to what he was feeling now and that encounter had hardly been intentional. Voporak. Aging thousands of years in moments. Few things in the multiverse could compare, for what causes more pain than time itself?

Millenium ran up to him, ears covered and a look of pain on his face. Kraazyk realized he must be screaming. The Slizer took out another disk and slammed it into Kraazyk, apparently stopping the effects of the previous disk. Kraazyk closed his mouth and held it in, but the pain remained. You see, time attacks have an interesting side effect on Makuta. Creatures of pure energy, they are constantly producing more and more power to replenish any that has been expended in order to remain healthy and in peak condition. However, give them an eternity to charge up and no chance to use it all a Makuta becomes more like a water balloon filled to the bursting point. Burning from the inside out, Kraazyk eased his own gravity and stood upright.

“I’d suggest you stand back.” Kraazyk said as he turned away from Millenium and started running. Releasing all the energy he could, he continued down the halls marking them with massive bursts of plasma, relying on his own resistence to fire to survive and hoping Millenium stayed back far enough to avoid major harm.

About five minutes and twenty-four seconds after Hiker Mike had left the room Kraazyk and Millenium rushed out of the maze and crashed into what equipment was left in the room. Seconds later a spherical area with a radius of about 100 feet collapsed upon itself leaving an extremely dense and tiny ball in the centre of a crater.

Standing up and dusting himself off, Kraazyk turned to Millenium. “You were saying something I think?”

Looking at the still glowing hot Makuta completely flabbergasted, Millenium replied, “Aye, Ah wanted tae thank ye faer not killen me. Though paerhaps Ah shoould be apologizing faer nearly killen yoo. Are ye alrieght?”

“Never better, and no problem. Let’s go, this ‘Heiker Mike’ fellow can’t be too far ahead of us.”

Torch became aware of his surroundings in a much quieter manner than Ski and Scuba, an odd happenstance considering his temperament compared to theirs. The deep thrum in the depths of his skull reminded him in a less than pleasant way of how Spark had taken him down. Speaking of Spark, he seemed to be interrogating Scuba with regard to some sort of fluid conduit.

Carefully in order to avoid drawing any attention to himself Torch tested his restraints. No good. Peaking out of one eye he looked over at Ski and Scuba’s shackles he could tell a little more of their make. Solid steel bolted directly into the rock wall. Given a few minutes his Flame claw could get him out, but he somehow doubted his captors would just sit back and watch.

There was, however, another option. Not a particularly good one, but it was all he had. Steeling himself, Torch prepared to release as much power out of his hand as he could in one go. It could very well leave him without an arm, but if it was that powerful then the chains would be no problem. Just as he was about to fire, the elevator dinged and an old Slizer walked in flanked by a handful of Blasters. This was new. Also bad. Likely very very bad.

“If you are quite done making fools of yourselves,” the old Slizer said, tossing a disk that adjusted the very conduit Flare and Spark had been arguing over as he walked by, “I suggest you keep your prisoners from foolhardy escape attempts.”

Before Torch had time to fully understand what had been said the old Slizer walked up and slammed a disk into his face.

Standing beside CHRIS-37 and several other iterations of the same bot Kraazyk and Millenium stared in disappointment at the desecrated teleport pad. With a quick glance Kraazyk could tell that from comparing the map with the skyline that the plumes of smoke were likely other destroyed teleporters.

“Well this makes catching up a bit more difficult.”

“Hmm… Paerhaps. Paerhaps not. Ye ken teleport can ye not?”

“So long as I know the destination, yes; but I have almost no knowledge of this planet. We’d likely wind up materializing in some rocks or a wall if you’re thinking of just hopping over in their general direction.”

“Aye, but Ah know this planet like the back o’ mah hand.” Millenium replied. “Could ye get the infaermation ye need tae get us thaere by lookin’ intae my meind?”

“That would be risky if your knowledge is even a little bit off,” Kraazyk warned. “Not to mention that opening your mind in that way would be allowing me a free pass to all of your thoughts and memories.”

“Ah’m willing tae risk et faer my people.”

“Very well,” Kraazyk said placing his hand on Millenium’s face. “If there is anything you don’t want me to know simply imagine closing a door on the memory and I’ll look away.”

Millenium nodded and Kraazyk reached out and entered the Slizer’s mind. Millenium was old, older even than the name implied. Kraazyk could see the planet they were on from it’s relative infancy. The planet was dotted with pools of - door closed. The mental map continued changing and evolving as a planet does until it was as it is now, split into 7 sections with a massive dome at the poll. As it was formed Kraazyk’s attention was briefly drawn to the Jungle - door closed. Zooming in toward the line between the Sub and Fire regions Kraazyk sought out the Geothermal Power Plant of which Torch and Scuba had spoken. Aha! Focusing on that spot and aiming a bit higher just to be safe Kraazyk teleported himself and Millenium.

Using his Miru Kraazyk gently levitated down a short distance from the Power Plant. Millenium, not having the benefit of such a mask, dropped like a stone. Landing next to the unfortunate Slizer, Kraazyk chuckled and offered him a hand up. Kraazyk then teleported the two of them into the facility, bypassing the laser fence and some of the security cameras.

Making their way into the very bowels of the plant, avoiding dozens of Blaster patrols on the way, they eventually found a cavern overlooked by the main control room. Against the wall next to the primary generator Hiker Mike stood holding a Disk against Ski’s face. Taking the disk away he said something to the Blasters that were with him. Then he, Spark, and Flare stood back and watched as three helpless Slizers were about to be executed by a Blaster firing squad.

“HEY YOO PUDDIN’ BRAIN!” Millenium called out at the top of his lungs. “AIN’T YA FAERGETTING SOMETHIN’?”

Looking up in surprise Hiker Mike said something inaudible to his cronies and ran to the elevator with a couple Blasters following close behind. Meanwhile Spark ran with several Blasters to start powering up the generator and Flare stayed with his own handful of Blasters and readied himself as the Blasters prepared to open fire on Scuba, Ski, and Torch.

VERY NEARLY THE FINAL CHOICE TO BE MADE FOR THIS “CHAPTER”. CHOOSE WELL…

Does Kraazyk:

1. Take on Hiker Mike and his Blasters to stop him from using the Transmitter?

2. Take on Spark and his Blasters to shut down the Power?

3. Take on Flare and his Blasters to rescue the three captured Slizers?

As you may or may not have noticed I was very much extremely late in posting this. This is due to many things, big and small, including - but not limited to - a severe case of writer’s block, a wonky work schedule, and having to catch up on Doctor Who with my sister. Regardless I do hope that this part isn’t too terrible and I will try my best to have the next bit up on… ermm… Sat is a bit soon… Next Wed? Yeah, let’s go for that. Wait, checks calendar, yeah. That should work. :smiley:

5 Likes

crap this is a hard one…

2 Likes

Can we send Millennium to shut down the power? No?

I vote 3.

1 Like

Bwahahahahahahaha! I hope that’s a good thing :worried: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This time you only choose for Kraazyk. Millenium will do as he I please. Heh heh hezs fmhgsrhgdktdmht has mini stroke

4 Likes

I vote 3.

1 Like

Looks like 3 is the winner (unless a few people vote otherwise before it’s too late) I should have the next bit up some time tomorrow evening. Depending on how things play out this could conclude the Slizer chapter. I hope it’s been a good read so far and that future chapters could be worth making :cat: that being said, I’ll likely go on a bit of a hiatus after I finish up this chapter. But who knows though ya know? :hamster:

3 Likes

I vote 2

1 Like

After many days of careful consideration, I have decided to vote for option #3.

2 Likes

I now see that giving myself a single day to write was perhaps a bit rash. I have a fairly complete outline of what will happen, but the actual filling out of the outline into a proper story is proving difficult. I fear that getting it done tonight is too ambitious for my level of skill (or lack thereof) I will, however, have it up by Sat at the latest and tomorrow at the soonest. If I fail at this too I truely know not what to do with myself

5 Likes