The toa Hagah (bionicle canon contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2)

Wouldn’t wrist mounting the shields evoke rule 4e either way? Considering both Kualus and Norik uses them as handheld shields in their respective moc/set?

If not then I totally agree this critique should not exist

edit: While on the subject doesn’t this line mandate that the change happen to Bomonga as well?

I genuinely don’t understand why or how people even think that this shield discrepancy is worth bringing up.

4 Likes

…what

Where do you think the inspiration for most, if not all of bionicle weaponry comes from, if not human history? In fact, the entire execution of toa hagah is literally just “Hey, what happens if we put a knight armor on a bionicle figure?”

Furthermore, we throw out the entire human history, and just decanonize everything that wasn’t ever a part of sets and mocs, then I will have to ask everyone who ever dared to draw fingers on hands of Matoran Universe characters (that didn’t have them in the set for) to be decanonized here and now, including official media, such as the bionicle trilogy, mata nui saga and whatever else. If Bionicle universe and its canon don’t care about our history, then it doesn’t get to plagiarize our biology. You can’t have your cake and eat it too, dangnabbit.

2 Likes

If this is what the contests are going to devolve into, massive fights over nitpicky details, then maybe it’s for the best that TTV discontinue them. A shield being one inch too high or too low makes absolutely no difference. And if you look at an image and go “this shield is slightly too high, indicating it’s strapped to the wrist, but the set doesn’t show that so this is breaking canon” that’s a you problem.

Art shouldn’t significantly modify canon appearances, sure, but in my mind that has more to do with, say, giving Norik the wrong mask, not “make sure the shield faces forward or be dq’d.” Seems like the auditors want nothing more than traced renders of the models.

9 Likes

Man, I sure do love those ancient historical knights with shields that shot wheels of energy and spears that shot lava.

4 Likes

And I sure love tahu mata that shot rahi with a futuristic railgun instead of using a medieval weapon.

As long as people feel the need to contest canon in that case that is how its going to go, unfortunately

1 Like

Hey everyone,

We want to apologise for the confusion caused here. There has been some misunderstanding about how the rules from the Free-for-All portion should be applied to the artwork portion.

This issue is being reviewed and we will get back to you asap about whether the shield issue is upheld.

Thanks so much for your patience.

20 Likes

Hey, now it’s correct.

All this discussion should be moved to State of the Contest post to avoid spamming this entry.

Personally, I think the shields are fine right now, but why don’t we wait what @specterL has to say?

3 Likes

As @CalamitousT points out, this is being discussed, however, I do want to clarify one thing:

Bomonga’s shield is ambiguous enough that, given the unique shape of Bomonga’s hand, it can be interpreted as holding the shield, through a handle of some sort. Unlike Kualus and Norik, where straps are clearly visible on their arms.

5 Likes

basically, this thread in a nutshell

TTV-administration : Oh shucks, I’m sorry.
SpecterL : Sorry for what? Greg Farshtey taught us not to be ashamed of our shield connections. Especially since they’re so realistic and all.
TTV-administration : Yeah, i see that. Greg Farshtey gave you good advice.
SpecterL : It gets more realistic when I draw it.
TTV-administration : MMmm
SpecterL : Sometimes I draw it so true to real life, I get DQ’d.
TTV-administration : Well Greg Farshtey taught me a few things too, like uh, how to not to get DQ’d by, uh, applying logic to the contest and changing the rules accordingly.
SpecterL : Will you show me?
TTV-administration : I’d be right happy to…

8 Likes

Absolutly amazing as always. You got my vote.

Shield position is only an issue because people were desperate to pick Double’s entry up on something. Literally who cares if they’re handheld or arm strapped

2 Likes

Rest assured at least 5 people on the planet care how they hold their shields and I think that’s enough to warrant them to be fixed.

1 Like

I have other issues with that Bomonga, but that’s irrelevant here. This whole thing mainly stemmed from confusion and why such a detail was being pushed for a change in the art side. I haven’t seen issue taken with Bomonga here? Unless you mean part of the controversy from before.

3 Likes

This shield thing is insanity.
Nowhere were the artists told they couldn’t mount the shields on the arms, and previous contests even set a precedent for art modifying entries.

Did ttv DQ Mr N for dropping Helryx’s gauntlets? Did they DQ Perp for turning artakha’s cape into a waist cape?

Are the books not canon because they describe toa using fingers despite the sets not having any?

There is variance in canon and this level of consistency is unnecessarily restrictive on the artists these contests are supposedly meant to inspire.
To be frank moderating the artwork phase this thoroughly only makes this aspect of the contest seem even more tacked on.

16 Likes

The Bomonga thing was because it broke the rules. People weren’t out to get Double for it, he just broke the rules and people were upset that he was allowed to go through even though he broke the rules.

4 Likes

“oh no he made a joke when it comes to the height comparison and he had photos of the shield in hand but also photos where it wasn’t someone call the police right now”

3 Likes

Let’s not turn this into a thread about Double, please. SpecterL doesn’t need that, nor do the auditors who are discussing matters and reviewing these things. It just creates more drama.

11 Likes