The Toa Hagah - BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

Here are my renditions of the Toa Hagah for the 3rd Bionicle Canon Contest. Before I begin, I’d like to explain a couple of my design choices.

Armor Color: My choices for the armor colors on all four of the Toa Hagah were based on the idea that the toa with “warm” primary colors would have silver armor, and all of the toa with “cold” primary colors would have gold armor. This is to be consistent with the color schemes of both Iruini and Norik, who sport the same sort of color combination.

Legs & Eyes: I wanted to go 2/2/2 for the legs and eyes. To be more specific, each of the toa’s eye color corresponds to the eye color of another toa: Norik and Bomonga both have neon-green eyes, Iruini and Gaaki both have orange eyes, and Kualus and Pouks both have blue eyes. Similarly, each of the toa’s legs corresponds to another’s: Norik and Bomonga have Vahki legs, Iruini and Kualus have Rahkshi legs, and Gaaki and Pouks have Piraka legs. This is mostly because I didn’t want the Hagah to differ too much from each other in physical design. You’ll notice that the only thing unique among each individual toa is their mask and chest armor.

Also, Stud.io wasn’t cooperating for some reason, and it wouldn’t let me place a Rhotuka Spinner on any of their shields, which is why that space is empty on all of them.

One more thing:
I do not give consent for the masks to be altered in the final group shot if the artist chooses.
I do not give consent for my metallic color choices to be altered in the final group shot if the artist chooses.
I give consent for the spear tips to be altered in the final group shot if the artist chooses.

So, without further ado, here are the Toa Hagah.

First is Gaaki.
I originally didn’t want to use Galva’s Mask of Clairvoyance, simply because Greg said that the Hagah’s mask shapes didn’t match their power (I know the design isn’t canon, but it still felt wrong). I eventually gave in though, since none of the other masks I put on her really fit as well in my opinion, especially because this mask kind of looks like a part of modern SCUBA gear.
And yes, I know that this color scheme makes her look like a toa of Psionics, but again, I wanted to be consistent with all of the other Hagah’s color combos.
The spear tip is more or less a place holder, but it reminds me of an oar, which is why I chose it.

Next up is Kualus.
The mask situation here is pretty much the same as with Gaaki. I don’t know what it is about it, but this mask does give me a slightly bestial vibe, which is perfect for the character.
In a similar case to the mask, I gave him a Hordika chest-plate, further accentuating his connection to Rahi.
As for the spear, It kind of looks like a snowflake to me, though again, it’s really just a place-holder.

Next, Bomonga
I don’t have much to say about my design process for this guy, other than I wanted him to be similar to Norik in design, since Bomonga is the Deputy Leader.
There was no real rhyme or reason behind the spear tip I gave him, though I guess one could say it looks like it has small drills on it?

Finally, here’s Pouks.
I designed Pouks last, and similar to Bomonga, I don’t really have anything to say about him.
I will say that I pondered actually using this mask for Kualus instead, but I also wanted Kualus to have a scope, which is what drove me to give it to Pouks instead.

Size comparison with Iruini and Whenua.

Stud.io Files

Stuff I Used:
BioPack
GalvaPack

27 Likes

Each member is unique and interesting, while still resembling Iruni and Norik. They each have little design details that make them even cooler. Good luck in the polls!

3 Likes

These are good, nice work.

1 Like

NICE!

1 Like

I love these!

1 Like

Don’t forget le Stud.io files, my dude! Goodluck!

1 Like

You’ll probably need a breakdown image since their chest armor is different from Norik’s and Iruni’s. But that aside, these are really neat. I could definitely see these in a boxed set, lined up alongside Norik and Iruni. Oh, how exciting my child-self would have found it to be. I wish you good luck.

1 Like

This is definitly my favourite entry for the contest.

Especially them not having the poseable shoulders. It really makes them fit in with other Toa with Metru builds

1 Like

Nice builds!

1 Like

i don’t like shoe pouks, but i like everything else. good work.

1 Like

To be honest, I only did that because I wanted each of the toa to have a unique chest-plate, and I didn’t want to use a Hordika foot.

Coolio, good luck

2 Likes

was just looking at other entries, i’d suggest seeing if you can change it to a inika shoulder piece. it would look far better in my opinion.

1 Like

This might just be my new favorite, good luck!

1 Like

Alright, I’ll try it out.

Gaaki
Yep, this works. Only thing I’m not a fan of is the mask, since it would essentially be canonized as an unknown mask that isn’t the Mask of Clairvoyance.

Kualus:
I don’t think that the Hordika chest plate looks good on a Mettur build. And if Kualus is going to have a scope, I’d prefer it be on the same side as his spear (so either both left, or both right). Aside from that, it’s decent.

Bomonga:
Chest plate feels a little odd. And I do wish people would give Bomonga a secondary color besides black, so he doesn’t wind up being the only Hagah who’s all one color. But yeah, it’s decent.

Pouks:
Huh, haven’t seen an entry with a Rahkshi foot as a chet yet. Rakshi feet as chests kinda bug me because they have that skinnier portion at the top, but other than that it kinda works. I also support this entry because it would give us a Garai that actually attaches properly.

1 Like

Okay, here it is.

I personally think it looks a bit too small, so I don’t think I’m going to change it to this, but thanks for the suggestion anyways!

2 Likes

You mean the Mask of Clairvoyance? And yeah, I had the same issue with using this mask, but again, none of the other masks I tried to use fit as well as this one.

1 Like

Yes that is what I said pay no attention to the fact that my post was edited I totally didn’t confuse Gaaki and Helryx.

1 Like

Pouks is great! Love the Rahkshi leg for the chest plate and those legs make him look very agile and like a great rock climber haha

Update: Also really love Kualus as well. Very clean