The Toa Hagah (Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard)

Toa Bomonga (entry pic)

Toa Gaaki (entry pic)

Toa Kualus (entry pic)

Toa Pouks (entry pic)

Hi. This is my interpretation of the missing Toa Hagah. The concept behind them was to look like they belong in a set wave with Iruini and Norik, so I tried to keep as close to the source as possible. Individual variation is based on other set waves with clone characters with moderate individuality, like the Toa Mata, the Toa Inika and the Piraka. Kualus has broad shoulders because I wanted to give him sort of a animalistic appearance that reflects his mask power and his love for rahi. Gaaki has her arms close to the torso to give her more feminine proportions. Pouks and Bomonga have the same arm arrrangement as the standard Toa Metru.

Regarding color scheme:
I avoided confusing color schemes by preventing Gaaki and Kualus to have golden armor, because otherwise they would have the color scheme of Psionics and Light respectively. Also, I kept a 2/2/2 metallic color because I read it was the favorite option between the fans. The best alternative I came up with was metal blue, because itā€™s much lighter than pearl dark gray and copper and it fits best with Kualus and Pouks. The main color scheme has the same distribution as the ā€œofficialā€ Toa Hagah: metru color limbs, black hands and some black in the torso.

Front view:

Side view

Back view

Regarding height:
Every toa has a torso designed in the ā€œtall versionā€ (like Nokama and Nuju). Gaaki has the same height as Iruini. Pouks and Bomonga have the same height as Norik because Bomonga has a short neck (like most Toa Metru). Kualus uses the rubber titan socket connector that makes him a hunchback, however, due to the torso he is still one unit taller than Whenua.

Group shot:

The studio files and masks (all created by Galva), can be found in the following links:
Studio files and pictures: Toa Hagah
Mask of growth: Mask of Growth (Toa Hagah Bomonga) by Galva - Thingiverse
Mask of clairvoyance: Mask of Clairvoyance (Toa Hagah Gaaki) -Lovice Commission- by Galva - Thingiverse
Mask of rahi control: Mask of Rahi Control (Toa Hagah Kualus) -Lovice Commission- by Galva - Thingiverse
Mask of emulation: Mask of Emulation (Toa Hagah Pouks) by Galva - Thingiverse

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)

27 Likes

Really nice, but Kualus looks kinda weird
The others are great, I like the Piraka legs on Gaaki and Bomonga

2 Likes

That was probably intentional. Kualus is notable for being one of the first Hagah who accepted his transformation into Rahagah. If he was already weird looking, it could explain how he accepted being a rahagah so easily.

3 Likes

Hmmm thatā€™s an interesting explanation
Otherwise they look pretty good, especially Gaaki
Gaaki is my favorite.

3 Likes

I really like how these look!

The lower legs flow really nicely on Bomonga, and I also really like Pouks!

Nice job!

3 Likes

While Pouksā€™ and Bomongaā€™s weapons arenā€™t really spears, this bunch has a nice tone of simplistic unity amongst them. Although, Pouksā€™ mask will need to be switched out for something other than a mask of emulation as his mask isnā€™t in the same shape as the power. In the same way, if the other masks are accepted they wonā€™t be considered the powers they were originally designed to possess.

1 Like

Kualusā€™ shoulder are interesting. I appreciate the added width, though it looks weird when they move with the arms.

The purist in me really appreciates the attention to detail and cohesion with the Rhotuka colors, 2/2/2 matching metallic armors, and all 6 members having the same feet. I really like how Gaaki and Pouks look in particular, and Kualusā€™ ā€˜animalisticā€™ hunchback design really works for me as a different take on a Toa of Ice that falls in line with his character, while still not making him look too out of place alongside the others.

That group shot render is just 10/10 too, wow. Nice touch.

2 Likes

Yo heads up my dude; we canā€™t use the canon Mask of Emulation for Pouks, if I recall the rules correctly.

Otherwise, you complemented Galvaā€™s Masks very well with these designs choices. I heard someone say that this contests would determine who could mix-n-match limbs and armor the best, and I must say you mixed well.

On the other hand, however, the spear designs donā€™t spark anything big in my eyes, as their blades/tips arenā€™t spear-like. To each their own interpretation, nonetheless. Well done! You actually might have my vote!

4 Likes

We canā€™t, but for some reason @Eljay or whoever was approving this MOC ignored mask. Maybe thatā€™s because author allowed to change the mask

1 Like

Of course, I allowed the artist to change the masks. However, the description of the masks says they belong to the Hagah, so I think that Galva designed the masks considering that they are shaped after Kanohi with different powers. Also, the mask of emulation is similar but not the same as the canon version that KhingK made.

I love the use of metallic blue I didnĀ“t even thought of that, such an original take. Good job.

1 Like

Bomonga:
I would prefer a secondary color on Bomonga, something besides black. Aside from that, itā€™s decent.

Gaaki
Nice touch with the thinner shoulders. I really donā€™t like the hip armor, since it tecnically stresses the piece a bit (Yes, I know official sets do this, and I donā€™t like it there either). The fire spear tip doesnā€™t really fir a water character, but I suppose that can be changed, but then thatā€™s mainly to prevent overlap, so I dunno about it.

Kualus
This would be a great mocā€¦ for Bomonga. The hunch, the broad schoulders, theshort legs, all feels like a perfect fit for Bomonga. I think itā€™s decent for Kualus, though, might even vote for it

Pouks:
Thatā€™s not a spear, itā€™s a scythe. Iā€™m being a little more critical of the spears, even though they can be changed, because I realize most artists will only change them to avoid overap, if there is any. Other than that, itā€™s decent.

For Bomonga as well as the other characters I wanted to keep the same color scheme as Iruini and Norik, which is black and Metru color, since Bomonga is already black he had to be entirely black to fit in. Again, for me Kuaus had to be the animal like one because heā€™s the Rahi lover after all. Also, Pouksā€™s weapon isnā€™t a spear neither Bomongaā€™s, thatā€™s true. However, Pouksā€™s weapon is not a scythe either. I wanted it to look like a geologist hammer, with a square end in the front to hit rocks and a long sharp back for excavating and holding the hammer. Thatā€™s why the short side of the Matau blade/wing is in the front and not the back.

1 Like

Yeah, I get that, and I get most people will do the same thing for the same reason. Itā€™s just that I, personally, prefer the Hagah to have other secondary colors, especially on Bomonga who already has black.

Itā€™s a rather small thing, and itā€™s not going to make me not vote for it, if itā€™s the best of whatever group itā€™s in. But Iā€™ll be more inclined to vote for Bomongaā€™s with another color besides black.

All right, Iā€™ll be honest: I donā€™t see a ā€œanimal likeā€ look in Kualus. Thatā€™s not to say youā€™re wrong, I just donā€™t see it, myself. I have seen other entries that make Kualus more animalistic.

Again, though, I donā€™t think itā€™s a bad moc. If it were a Bomonga Moc, It would be one of my favorites. As a Kualus moc, it might still wind up being one of my favorites, it depends on what itā€™s up against.

Yeah, I knew that, I just wasnā€™t sure what exactly to call it.

To be clear, I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with non-traditional spears. I just have a personal preference of spears with a pointy tip. Bomongaā€™sā€¦ kinda meets that criteria, if barely. Pouks doesnā€™t.

Lastly, to make sure this is clear 'cause I feel I donā€™t say it enough: Iā€™m being very critical of all the mocs in this contest, to decide how Iā€™m going to vote. To that end, I will point out any detail I like/dislike, minor or major. But ultimately, I think all of your mocs are good, and I wouldnā€™t complain if any of them won.

1 Like

Interesting spear tips, good luck

2 Likes