The Toa Hagah, the elite of the elite (Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard)

It took a while to make this entry, but now it is finally ready.

Due to being chosen from different previous teams and locations, the Hagah are supposed to have different appearances. However, this doesn’t mean they have to be excessively distinct from one another or clones because of being from the same team. That’s why I tried to balance those differences while still keeping the basic structures already shown by Norik and Iruini to make the remaining Hagah look like actual sets.

Regarding the distributions:

I made my best to keep as much consistency in them as much as I could trying to achieve a general 2/2/2 in most aspects making just few exceptions to make them unique in their own way.

• Pearl dark gray was chosen as the third metallic color due to the considerable big number of silver colored precious metals.
  • The reason behind the different shoulders is a desire to prevent the other Hagah from having the same incomplete look as Norik’s which unfortunately doesn’t cover the shoulder properly and avoid to much repetition with the metru shoulders.
  • The bohrok shields are intended to work as part of the 2/2/2 pattern (Gaaki and Iruini use Gahlok and Gahlok kal shields respectively). However, Gaaki’s is different in order to make her slightly more custom while still using a bohrok shield.
  • Some of the unique things about them are to make a reference to other toa designs such as Whenua metru (stature) Hewkii mahri (chains).
  • Regarding Kualus and Bomonga, an extra technic 1/2 bush was added at the start of each arm’s axle to prevent any possible collisions with the hordika armor and was chosen in black to be less perceptible.
  • Although Iruini has a green metru torso, all my designs have a black one to match Norik’s (Iruini is the only exception, similar to his mask having its real shape).

Distribution aspects as a team:

• Metallic color= 2 flat silver, 2 flat dark gold, 2 pearl dark gray (gunmetal)
  • Eye color= 2 trans-neon green, 2 trans-neon orange, 2 trans-light blue
  • Feet= All of them have metru feet
  • Lower legs= 2 vahki legs, 2 rahkshi legs, 2 piraka legs
  • Knee armor= 2 metru knees, 2 inika knees, 2 spiked ball halves
  • Shoulder armor= Different for each one
  • Chest armor= 2 metru matoran chests, 2 bohrok shields, 2 hordika armors
  • Forearms= 2 metru legs, 2 vahki legs, 2 rahkshi legs
  • Spears= Different for each one
  • Unique traits for certain toa= 1 stud smaller than the rest (Bomonga), chains in the upper arms (Pouks)

Gaaki:

The purpose of her smaller shoulder armor is to give her a more feminine look while still covering most of the shoulder.
Choices such as the gahlok shield, the spear and Helryx’s mask (due to the tubes) are meant to keep an appropriate look for a toa of water.

Color: Flat silver

Credits:

• Vahki6= Toa Pouks Staff version 2
  • Mister-N/Galva= Mask of Psychometry (Canon version)

Bomonga:

Because of being part of Teridax’s personal guards, I decided to include Kraahkans as shoulder armor to make a reference to it. His stature is supposed to keep the trend of shorter earth toa but that doesn’t mean he has to be as small as Whenua. In order to achieve this, I used vahki legs and placed the metru torso one stud below.
The bulkiness has the purpose of representing his patience and how steady he can be while waiting for something to happen during hours as it written in his Biosector corresponding page.
The kanohi Rode opens the possibility of making Axonn the honored hero.

Color: Flat dark gold

Credits:

• Vahki6= Toa Bomonga Spear version 2
  • HahliNuva= Kanohi Rode

Pouks:

Since Pouks is known to take direct actions rather than sneaking around, I gave him as bulkier armor than Iruini to be the first one to step into a battle.
The custom kanohi Kakama was chosen due to the similarities with the mask of emulation from the comics. This kanohi is meant to be a variant of the regular one like Lhikan’s.
The spiky appearance in some parts was inspired by Hewkii mahri’s design, particularly the chains are a reference to him and Onewa’s weapons.

Color: Pearl dark gray (gunmetal)

Credits:

• Vahki6= Piton Tip
  • Galva= Kanohi Kakama (Champion)

Kualus:

Most of his design of composed of a mix between round and spiky parts to give the impression of being made of smooth ice and at the same time icicle surfaces.
The kanohi Miru is meant to be a variant of the regular one like Lhikan’s.
Flat silver was switched for gunmetal to get a better contrast with the white pieces.
The spear tip was provided by Vahki6 and was inspired by BNG’s custom spear for Bomonga. The Knights Kingdom armor was recreated by Zhokker and in order to get it, you must contact him first.

Color: Pearl dark gray (gunmetal)

Credits:

• Vahki6/BNG= Toa Bomonga staff version 1.5
  • Galva= Kanohi Miru (Orai)
  • Zhokker= Knights Kingdom shoulder armor

Breakdown photos:

Size comparison photos:

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes) - Only for consistency purposes
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes) - Only if another Hagah has the same spear tip

Stud.io file:
Toa Hagah contest file - updated.io - Google Drive

Custom parts links:

Toa Hagah Spears Collection (Vahki6)= Toa Hagah Spears Collection by vahki6 - Thingiverse

Piton Tip (Vahki6)= Piton Tip by vahki6 - Thingiverse

Bomonga staff (Vahki6/BNG)= Bomonga Staff by vahki6 - Thingiverse

Kanohi Rode (HahliNuva)= Kanohi Rode (Great Mask of Truth) (no axle) by HahliNuva - Thingiverse

Champion Kanohi Kakama (Galva)= The Champions [MASK PACK #4] by Galva - Thingiverse

Kanohi Miru Orai (Galva)= VootCaboot's Stud.io Parts - Google Drive

Mask of Psychometry Canon version (Mister-N/Galva)= Mask of Psychometry (CANON VERSION) by Galva - Thingiverse

29 Likes

This is truly an elite team of Toa. Awesome job on these builds. I am especially happy that you chose to dig up some custom spear ends that were designed for the aesthetic, instead of some out of place, over-complex build. And the choice of masks is amazing too. Very nicely done. Good luck in the contest.

2 Likes

That’s a great team you got here !
However you may have misunderstood when I spoke about BNG inspiration with you : the tip you used for your Kualus was inspired by BNG’s design for their own Bomonga while the spear tip you used for your Pouks is just a piece I modified from my own modular tools.

1 Like

This looks really great, but I’m not a fan of having to use two golden Kraahkan to have the MOC. Also the Zatth remember me to Cthulhu.

2 Likes

Thank you. I have already updated the post with the respective corrections about the credits.

I really like what you did with the shoulder armor! These are probably around the top of my list of favorite entries.

1 Like

Really stellar work on these builds, great job!

1 Like

Great job, really creative shoulder designs as well!

1 Like

Good mocs, good luck

2 Likes

Gaaki
Not a fan of that shoulder design, since it is a bit loose if built IRL. The lower arms are also rather weird. And I personally prefer gold Gaaki. Decent, but not one of my top picks.

Bomonga:
Hmm, decent Kraakahn shoulders. Not big on the lower amrs, since the mata leg had that bend in it. And I’m also not big on the Hordika chest on Mettur builds.

Pouks:
The mask looks a bit too evil, like it looks like a mask a Makuta would wear after they went evil. The staff is cool, and the chains are a nice touch, though I’m a little worried they might get tangled up in the shoulder function. And again, not big on the arms.

Kualus
Silver+white is so plain. The Jutlin shoulders work surprisingly well. Similar to Bomonga, not a fan of Mata arms and Hordika chests on Mettur builds.

Overall: they’re all decent, but I have quite a few little problems with each of them. But hey, good luck nonetheless!

1 Like

Thank you, this is the kind of comment I’ve wanted to read for a while. I read your suggestions and made a couple of changes based on them (lower arms and Kualus’ color).

• Regarding Gaaki’s shoulder armor it shouldn’t be loose as long as the thin liftarm is there, the rahkshi head has an axle to fit there and the first blue pin should keep it in place as well.
  • I have had the same thought about Pouks chains, it could easily be solved by twisting it around another piece and connecting it to a pin hole like Noah Productions did during the Ignition 2 movie. In Pouks case, the chains should be twisted around the vahki leg and the remaining end connected to one of the holes there.

• I don’t see what could be evil about Pouks’ mask, however, I have given permission to change it in the art contest if other people think as you do.

Yeah, that was my bad, I didn’t realize the liftarm was there until later.

I think it’s just the mouth area, gives the mouth a sorta monstrous look. I don’t think it’s a bad mask, per se – just not my favorite of the masks I’ve seen.

I thought it would be a good idea to get a few extra photos before the contest starts so here you have them. Think of this as another day in the deepest levels of the Archives with rahkshi.

5 Likes

Really love the use on Mirus on Pouks and the chains are a great bonus too

Update: Also love Kualus. The spikes give him that icicle accent which I appreciate

1 Like