Thoughts on Tiktok?

I think every generation tends to dislike people who are younger than them.

1 Like

To write off someone based on their age is quite narrow minded, but to be fair a lot of teenagers are pretty much idiots.

9 Likes

To everyone. I just want to say this before anybody else does. You have a right to a opinion but I disagree and here’s why. 1. Social medias are just platforms, separate people from platforms. People forget that Social media are just tools, how someone is using it is what people see. So basically what I’m saying is that it’s are fault for making platforms the way they are because we choose to give them (“cringey”/bad content) traction. 2. We actively have to find good content. We can’t just let the platform find “good content” for us we have to put in the effort, for example you decided to read this topic. 3. Vine had the same hate but then people realized that it had great content. The same thing will happen to Tiktok, It’s becoming more like Vine. I think there will always be dancing videos but by then it will be very small. 4 the final. People aren’t perfect. Tiktok gets hate for the “cringey” content but remenber that a lot of them are either kids or people with disabilities, for someone who is autistic myself I see autistic people get easily targeted for being “cringey” in general not just Tiktok, That’s pretty sad to see. I hope you understand where I’m coming from. I know that my grammar wasn’t the best, I’m not very much the typing person I’m more of a speaking person.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone here dislikes TikTok because they think it’s inherently bad. They dislike it because there is a lack of good content. “how someone is using it is what people see” is exactly the problem. People see naive, vain, idiotic people trying to get internet points. If they’re not copying actual good content, then they’re copying someone who copied actual good content.

This might be a somewhat harsh example, but it illustrates my point the best.

7 Likes

You have a good point.

Thank you. Do you think I’m a idiot just curious. :laughing:

1 Like

I don’t find you to be conceited or vain, so no. I too am a teenager :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

You are on a website designed around the express purpose of discussion. You are likely under the age of 25, you are likely not employed, you are likely using a caregiver’s computer or phone purchased for your privilege to access this website and have an argument about the age minority being treated equally.

The, uh, minority, is hardly a minority here.

Okay.

Unlike pretty much the entire rest of the internet I do have a very long history of exposure to the field of special needs/disability therapy and not due to anything on my part - I am not on the autistic spectrum nor do I have asperger’s. Info I usually try not to flaunt because it raises a heck of a lot of questions, as you can probably imagine.

All of that as ‘proof’ (and since you like to bring it up so much) that I have enough experience to confidently state no one can ever use disability as an excuse, and anyone who does so will have me glaring at them from across the continent because I have a very capable neck.

8 Likes

There’s an interesting discussion to be had here about the divide between generations and what makes good content, just remember to abide by site rules. We’ll be monitoring this closely.

-Prentice1215

9 Likes

It’s gonna die and be replaced by something else like all other cool trendy things. Raise your hands if you remember the heyday of crocks. Plus you know, the platform was more concerned with pr than they do the welfare of their userbase. I won’t detail what happened on here, since I don’t think that the event fits the user rules and guidelines on TTV, but it’ll come up in most explanations as to why Tiktok isn’t a very good platform.

3 Likes

I got tiktok as a joke back in 2018, Its a popular platform with good content and bad content like any social media. TikTok has had fun moments on the app like the Area 51 raid, ww3 draft, and lego star wars take over. Tiktok has also platformed normal people to become artists take for example Lil Nas x. The 60 second limit allows for innovate and interesting content.

I feel like everyone hating on tiktok because its “cringe” need to reaveulate themselves. When I visit the boards it feels like the language and atmoshphere is trapped 2016 internet era.

The dance trends are dumb and not meant to be taken seriously .
While there are major criticisms for Tiktok such as users being under 13, or security issues. The most common criticism I see is the hive mind “Tiktok cringe”

3 Likes

Yeah. It’s 2021 people. :laughing:

I don’t find it cringe. I find it time-wasting, with very little engaging or quality content.

The varying kinds of internet humor and atmosphere mean absolutely nothing to me. I’d rather be able fit in without have to drop references to the current popular memes every other word, and beginning and ending every phrase and sentence with “yo boi”, thanks very much.

Ah yes, the paragon of intellectual fertility. I’d rather not have to ascribe to the newest and most trendy kind of idiotic to be normal.

5 Likes

You don’t to be “trendy” sorry about that. :sweat_smile:

Wow this got out of hand, kinda

3 Likes

Yep it did. It was kinda scary.

2 Likes

If it means anything, people like me (who fall in the Aspergers teen category. I’m certainly not some meanie millennial) aren’t criticising tiktok as cringe.
I dislike it under the blanket of social media in general, which has good and bad content and that I personally don’t enjoy as it just doesn’t feel like true social interaction (to me) and my few experiences with social media and Tik tok are kinda eh. I know I shouldn’t judge it based on these limited experiences (see my previous post for some of those experiences) but I just don’t like it despite it even if it has some good content.

I’m totally fine if others like and use tik tok.

Also this is sad but true…I often feel uncomfortable and irritated around my age group seeing their disregard for others and their environment. I assume I’m not the only one who feels this way?

6 Likes

In general TikTok embodies what I dislike about people on social media. Exaggerated and fake. It’s not inherent to TikTok, but a desire for money, fame, attention, acceptance, etc. can warp an idea that would otherwise be perfectly fine. I think that most social media platforms, despite good intentions, do more to drag you down and waste your time. As long as this is the case with most of TikTok’s content, I feel justified in using it as one of my main reasons for never giving my future children a smart phone.

I can’t speak for others, but I’ve been hating on social media since Facebook first launched. I may be an out of touch boomer hipster, but it’s because I want to be. Not out of any alignment to any culture or time period.

6 Likes

This sums is up quite well for me too.

1 Like

I think the bigger issue is the platform itself, with how skeevy the people behind it are, and how they moderate their content to bury people they consider poor, ugly, or disabled.

Is this going to start some weird Bionicle tiktok trend?