Thoughts on Tiktok?

To be fair, stupidity has no age limit.

6 Likes

Tiktok is literally just Vine but less genuine. That’s all it’s ever been to me.

6 Likes

When it first came out, I thought it would be a cringy app that would die in a few months. Now it’s a cringy app that hasn’t died. Tiktok is proof of Murphy’s Law.

7 Likes

Unfortunately. I really hoped that all that ban china stuff would end up well,

1 Like

Tiktok is a complete waste of time and is garbage.

5 Likes

I will defend it that it probably has a good side but like I said before I hate it’s general fan base too much to look for said good side. Honestly that one annoying mom humor ad probably misrepresents the app but I don’t care enough to prove it.

2 Likes

Here’s a little story that I wrote about the old tik tok.

4 Likes

Ah tiktok. A former teenaged neighbor girl told me to start one a couple of years back. I didn’t bother. She had a bunch of inappropriate booty pics on her social media and I privately shamed her for it, blocked her, and never spoke to her again. Then she grew up, learned a fulfilling career, got into a good relationship, and the social media posts became a lot cleaner. The tiktok posts were likely the most embarrassing thing she ever did and I wouldn’t recommend doing tiktok unless you have a real passion for singing or acting.

5 Likes

I think that TikTok is not good. Not only because of the inappropriate content on it — there actually is proof that it is used by the Chinese government to gather information on users. Now, this is normal, considering that it’s a way that many companies and governments get the info needed to improve apps and sites, but TikTok doesn’t have the user protections that a site like this one has. For instance, they don’t tell you what they do with your data after collecting it. They also got asked to remove the app from the US App Store on most devices (though I’m not sure how it’s still around – they probably worked out some solution).

But also, TikTok is much like other social media sites – it encourages people to build up a persona that has to be the newest, trendiest, and best of all. It then encourages a culture that can easily harm those who can’t handle the effort of doing this, leading to the stories that I’m sure you’ve heard of people getting depression or other issues from that app.

Now, I don’t want to sound too harsh. I use GroupMe and Instagram (not frequently, but sometimes), and I usually try to stay away from them. I mean, if it won’t stop sending you inappropriate ads, it’s not worth using.

There’s my spiel, and you can criticize it as much as you want. Just please don’t flag it, because I’m not trying to put blame on anyone here. Just on the TikTok developers.

3 Likes