Toa Chiara MOC

Like this?

I considered that, but it’s a bit wider than I’d like.

2 Likes

Maybe instead of adding a second talon piece of the back side, you could add something coming out of the pin hole in the connector

yeah that’s what I meant

One more.

After going through BrickLink, I found another really good piece. It’s large, symmetrical, and doesn’t have any gaps:

The tip is Part 51803, from an old Nestle Knight’s Kingdom promo set:

7 Likes

Knight’s kingdom weapons are really underrated.

1 Like

Hey, that doesn’t look that bad.

what if you attached 2 elek blades together, giving them dual functionality as spear-heads or claws
im curious to see how it would look

I’ll be honest, I’m kind of having trouble seeing it as a spear. Although, given what was allowed in the Hagah contest, I don’t think that’ll be a problem. (It could also be a cool trident though)

My bigger reservation with this design, though, is that it simply doesn’t fit my imagining of Chiara’s spear. I imagine the spear to be thin and low-profile (kind of like what I was aiming for with Chiara herself), and this large spearhead doesn’t really fit that.

2 Likes

fair enough, now i see it myself it doesn’t look as good
this is one of my favourite chiara’s by da way

Thanks to @Rothanak modelling the Knight’s Kingdom shin, Chiara’s finally built properly in stud.io:

6 Likes

Nice MOC! I especially like the color scheme. But why did you have to kill the alligator :frowning:

1 Like

It had been because Chiara frying that lizard in The Yesterday Quest is pretty much the only notable action of hers that doesn’t directly involve an unseen character, but I realize now that that isn’t true:

4 Likes

Yes! Kill the Visorak!

2 Likes

I’m on a bit of a roll with Chiara here; I finally changed her upper arms to allow for internal/external rotation:

It makes her arms one stud longer, but I don’t think that’s necessarily an issue:

The advantage is that she now has greater flexibility in her arms. The disadvantage is that it might look a bit awkward when the arms are rotated to the extreme, as in the above posing picture.

Does it still look good, or do I need to move the point of rotation to be in line with the joints?

5 Likes

it looks fine, but I worry those pins won’t hold the weight of the spear. Might be worth testing irl if possible.

1 Like

After looking at it again recently, I decided I didn’t like the look of the rotating arms, so I made some more changes. I’ve redone her shoulders to allow for more mobility in the joint, allowing me to go back to the static upper arms:

Additionally, this redesign allowed me to fill in her underarm area far more than the original designs.

The other thing I’ve been messing around with is limb length. I have two lengths of upper arms and two lengths of thighs. Which combination looks best?

Length Comparisons

I honestly think the best would be the longer thighs with the same length of arms as the previous rotating version (which is exactly in the middle of the two arms lengths shown above), but I haven’t figured out a way to make that length look good since it would require additional Technic constructions.

5 Likes

Minor update just for fun:

Based on this quote from Greg, I figured out that some of the transparent-backed stickers from Set 70723 could be applied to Chiara:

I probably won’t keep this on the final version of the build, but it doesn’t look terrible, and it’s a fun idea.

4 Likes

Looks pretty good! The stickers are neat

2 Likes

how are the kk shins attached to the hordika legs?

1 Like

There’s some System parts holding it together:

Chiara Leg Breakdown
(The pink bits are unrelated to the armour connection; they’re just filler parts)

This technique was developed with physical parts, and I can confirm that the connection is solid.

5 Likes