Toa Hagah Canon Contest Format Feedback

To be honest it’s because making canon contests for existing characters is treading a thin line to begin with. The matter is too dear to some people and it is impossible to please everyone. The Hagah in particular amplify the issue further because we have already seen two of them.

I honestly don’t think it is worth the irreparable damage done to the canon in the eyes of some people just for the temporary pleasure of some other people during the limited time of the contest. It is clearly not worth it in my opinion but here we are anyway.

I hope the six months of discussion on the matter have made some people realize that these contests might not be the brightest idea ever, even if it might have looked fun at first. In my opinion it had done more harm than good already.

5 Likes

Norik is also with that hip config too tho, so the Hagah are definitely both tall as far as Metru that we currently have to base off of. Kind of really seals in the ‘elite warrior’ energy

Actually upon reviewing it seems some of the Metru are taller than the others based off of hips. I didn’t remember that actually. I think different hip heights are good though, adds unique character quality

1 Like

For the next step in my analysis I will build Mimic’s thunderthighs and slap them on Onewa’s torso to gauge just how impressive they are

5 Likes

Yeah I really don’t care that the conversation has been happening I care about how it’s been happening.

Preaching to the converted, mate.

7 Likes

This Is Hagah Harald, with you measurements this would be a completely reasonable build if you disregard the colors I assume?

Its the same dimensions as Whenua metrus torso construction that being the one where the top pin of the waist part sits inside the gear box for clarification. However without further ado here is Hagah Harald

1 Like

That doesn’t look like it holds up to the shoulder measurements

1 Like

The proportions might vaguely be to scale with a Metru build but the body doesn’t resemble one at all. The silhouette should at least be resemblant of a Metru, and I’d honestly just prefer the stock torso.

2 Likes

Yes but the ruling Ghid suggested only cared about measurements

The shoulders needs some work I do agree but this was merely a mock up.

edit: Slightly tweaked it

The fact is that the two are linked, actually. It’s because the matter is so dear to some people that it is very hard for them to have a civilized conversation about it. I’m not saying it is fine to be disrespectful to others of course. My point is that the very fact that the conversation is so tense with so many people going overboard is a symptom that the subject itself was dangerous to tackle to begin with.

1 Like

And I recognize that and respect it. I just genuinely, after six months of warning people and reminding people to be respectful and nice about this discussion, don’t care if people feel strongly. That doesn’t give people the right to go off on other people and act like their individual interpretations of things are the only way things should be.

This is a community effort, and while I may not be the happiest that we’re still going around in circles about this, or that this contest is even happening in the first place, I understand the why and I am well aware of how controversial and dear this topic is to people.

It’s still not an excuse to be [insert strong word here].

And ultimately, the fact is that if people can’t have this discussion civilly, then they should excuse themselves from the discussion. Preferably before I excuse them myself.

7 Likes

And here I thought that all of the recent conversation WAS the civil portion so far

4 Likes

I’m just saying you wouldn’t find this controversy in a #Kojol contest :wink:

Or maybe you would but I wouldn’t have to argue about how shiny he’s supposed to look

8 Likes

My boy that would get blasted to eternity and back for being a blatant joke entry

Another point worth considering is the angle of the shoulders; something completely impossible to moderate but something to consider for those custom torso advocates who want to mimic the original design as closely as possible

But - as you may have noticed when I quoted it for you - I did not leave the entire contest definition in the hands of the Hagah metrics. That model fails to possess matching shoulder, chest, and feet colors - none of which are metallic - and this figure absolutely does not fit in with the rest of the Hagah whatsoever aesthetically, visually, or realistically.

$20 bucks that the Kojol controversy is the foot size

7 Likes

And you blantantly disregard my statement about the color or that it was a mock up, thank u

At that point just better to use the metru torso + you can get a bonus gear function without much effort.

Not if you fixed up the colors and patched it up to something more concrete again this was a mock up. Also tbh I don’t feel like entertaing that idea

1 Like

Alright new and updated Ghid Rules because I totally do amirite

RULES - GHID EDITION - V1.7

Contest will be held in two waves: MOC contest, and then Group Art contest. This is so the finalized winners all have a cohesive feel and individual character entries on BS01 can split the image to focus on the respective members. Norik and Iruini’s inclusion in the final contest is optional.

• Torso size must follow these parameters to a T; failure to do so will result in disqualification
    Shoulder* width: 5-7 units
    Hip width: 5 units
    Distance from shoulder to hip: 5-10 units
    Distance from shoulder to furthest extent of chest armor: 4 units
  • Armor must cover the upper torso front, the shoulders, and the upper legs
  • Armor and feet must be metallic in appearance or fall under the metallic/reflective spectrum of official LEGO colors
  • Must wield a spear with a tip that matches the armor color
  • Must wield LEGO part 53379, but does not have to be the same color as the armor
  • Must not wield an additional weapon
  • Height, stature and appearance must be comparable to that of the official Toa Hagah sets; definition of comparable is to be determined by TTV staff
  • Artists are requested to honor the design elements of the original moc, such as 3D-printed mask designs, although technically allowed to alter that if they wish
  • Pouks will have thunderthighs or I’m banning Greg from TTV

*Shoulder refers to the point in the torso at which the shoulder of the arm attaches, not any point beyond that

1 Like

still only measurements…

???

Are you upset by the fact that I have measurements or are you saying this is the only part of the rules you are going to follow? Or, as you’re probably saying, the rule is ridiculous because here’s a deconstruction of the rule proving why it’s ridiculous ala strawman fallacy.

If you’re wondering why I ignored your previous post and instead went to writing up the new rules, that’s why.

1 Like

The funniest thing about that is that if you tweaked the colours, would it be perfect? No. Does it necessarily deserve to be disqualified out of hand? Maybe.

Will people vote for it instead of something much better? Unlikely.

You seem to be way too concerned that without the strictest ruleset possible that whoever wins will just be complete crap. The reality is that most people aren’t going to enter something like that, and if they did, and it was particularly egregiously off base from the rest of the Hagah, we would disqualify it

That’s why Ghid’s rules are more than just measurements

5 Likes

I understand your point. I also understand that it is important that the conversation remain civil. However, I want to point out that it is harder for the people for who the issue is dear at heart to state why this or that detail is important for them in a civil way. Especially when they are facing some people who seem to care more about showing off their awesome moccing skills than to respect the spirit of the two Hagah we already have. You already stated that you did not care if people felt strongly about it so I’m probably writing this for nothing, but I simply wanted to point out that one side has a harder time than the other. I fear removing those people from the discussion is skewing the argument towards the other side.

For example the “purists side” already lost blissfulusername or some username like that. I didn’t see the offending post that he wrote so I don’t know how bad it was. Anyway that is one person less to defend the spirit of the hagah against the more creative people who would remove every rule if they could. I fear this is a slippery slope.

1 Like

I saw a completely reasonable rule set made by willies12 here yesterday but since we are jst going back and forth can’t we just have a poll and then be done with it. Because I’m not going to change my stance neither is the opposition