Toa Hagah Canon Contest Format Feedback

Maybe since Bomonga is already black, he should have some grey parts.

Making all of his limbs (CLARIFICATION: just the upper parts of his limbs, not the entire limb) grey would be a good way to get around painting or using studio to make them black. @Winger

I did an example moc and a lot of people werent really fond of the grey, I didnt think it looked bad tho

I meant just the pieces used for the upper legs and upper arms, not for his whole primary color.

The only negative thing that I can really point out is the use of metallic shinguards and thigh armour; you’re far from the first person that I’ve seen do this, but I feel like it should either be one or the other.

2 Likes

Toa Hagah is Toa-04-based (as you asked, no M-word) Toa, who has spear, rhotuka shield and wears pearl-color armor, which isn’t part of Toa’s body

Oh I plan to fix that

Iruini is not a Hagah confirmed

1 Like

Since when Silver isn’t pearl

I think the mask shapes and metallic colors should be left up to participant interpretation, too much thought has been put into them. If you want to use metallic blue on Kualus, great. If you want Gaaki to have silver armor to coincide with her Rahaga form like Iruini, more power to you. The same applies to the Mask of Emulation on Pouks, although I understand why it’s prone to prohibition.

Layout if anyone cares

Norik: Silver
Gaaki: Silver
Bomonga: Gunmetal
Kualus: Metallic blue
Pouks: Gunmetal
Iruini: Gold

6 Likes

I mean, yeah, everyone can do what the hell they want. I was just pointing out that some choices will be unlikely to get popular because they just look strange.

2 Likes

Well to be more accurate, neither Norik or Iruini have pearl armor, so by your standard neither of them are Hagah. Norik uses flat silver and Iruini uses flat dark gold.

1 Like

Red Bomonga is bad

What about little NO IT’S NOT?

@Takutanuva
There are two things:

1. Pearl is color group, which includes any non-chrome and non-coat metal-ish color, it’s not about name
  2. Bricklink pearl color naming is bad in any and all ways. All this “flat” tell you nothing about color, and even confuse people, not to mention that “Flat Silver” isn’t even one color, but 2 different ones

Do not double post. -Eljay

3 Likes

So you are trying to simultaneously use bricklink’s color system (for group) and not use it at the same time (for individual color) gotcha.

nice toa of fire

4 Likes

What.

I just told you that bricklink does bad work with classification colors, and that color group isn’t about name

If you’ll check any color lists, you’ll see that pearl group is consistent among all of them:
https://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp?utm_content=subnav
http://ryanhowerter.net/colors.php

https://wiki.ldraw.org/wiki/User:Owen_Burgoyne/LDraw_Colour_Comparison_Chart

You are both right, just depends on your usage of “Pearl.” I didn’t know until checking those that sites consider all metallic colors pearl, so without knowing that and used to only going by color names, easy to take it at only colors with pearl in the name.

While using the definition of LEGO’s ‘pearl’ term, other metallic colors are excluded, such as flat silver or metallic sand blue.

So metallic in appearance/defined as metallic by lego is a fair enough definition of hagah armor imo.

6 Likes

Fair enough, although using multiple different references will confuse people. I think stating which colorguide may help subvert confusion. Anyways we off topic now

Lego has no term ‘pearl’

They call it metallic or don’t call it any way

And MSB can’t be excluded from pearls without exclusion of all other Krana colors, including Metru gold and PDG, which are pearl.

Btw, pearl color is any metallic color that isn’t made by coating (like “Metallic” and “Chrome” groups on brickset/Howerter’s chart are done), and this is one of best definition we can get

I’m going to have to agree with Winger here. The moc looks nice, but it looks more like a toa Dume, than a toa of Earth.

If you want Bomonga to have red armor, I suggest using more muted red, like that on Tahu’s canister lid, if you can find a stud.io color pack that includes it.
I do think that red Bomonga has potential, but mata red is very overpowering and indicative of a toa of fire, especially when the secondary color is something neutral like black.

6 Likes