Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

Ad sense is now giving me ads for canon printers on the message boards, lmao.

4 Likes

Isn’t that the printer that can’t print love letters?

12 Likes

Prolly not. It’s unique and not worn by a hero, so it should be out. So yeah, most likely an oversight on TTV’s part. They’re only human, can’t be expected to not forget stuff occasionally.

1 Like

Just a quick clarification, does this mean that these components are required to be metallic? Or that metallic colors can only exist on these parts? Like, for example, if my Gaaki had blue feet instead of gold, would that disqualify her?

2 Likes

The question isn’t “is it legal”, the question is who’s gonna stop me?

4 Likes

Here is my feedback:

In general I agree with most decisions and rullings made here, but I do have several important disputes and remarks.

1.)
I think the restriction on the parity of metallic armor placement is too restrictive. While having a restriction on the overall amount of metallic colors is a good thing, having it on the armor pieces themselves is too much.
A little variation on the placement can greatly enhance the final visual of both individual and team.
Toa teams are nown to have little variation within themselves without compromising overall cohesive look. Prime examples are Toa Inaka and even Toa Hagah themselves.
This wouldn’t conflict with canon either, as it was never specified that only specific parts of armor were given this color. The only thing(s) we do know/should be specifically mandated are the Masks, shield and spear tip.
It shouldn’t be an issue to put the rest of the metallic armor pieces on other body parts as long as they do not breach certain visual treshold of color representation a.k.a. clash with the visual.

To avoid any abusing of less restrictions, armor could be defined as any piece or conglomerate of pieces, which serve as an add-on to the model and can be removed without disturbing the anatomy and integrity of the model (If you can remove it and the MOC is still a complete and stable humanoid, it is ok).
This would exclude feet, Masks, shields and spear tip - those, while not neccesarily being armor, either can (feet), or must (Mask, shield, spear tip) be in metallic.

2.)
A single shade of metallic armor is not well defined. Is it a absolute to the point of only allowing one concretely lego-termed shade, or does it work in more general terms (Gold, Silver, Copper, Gunmetal, etc.)?
I think the latter would be more beneficial, if only for the color of Silver.
There are several slightly different shades of silver, which ultimately wouldn’t make make much difference, but would be benefcial for creative parts usage.

So I would think that the single shade of metallic could include groups of metallic colors - for example flat silver, pearl silver, metallic silver vs gunmetal.
The minute differences within metallic shade, would be corrected in group artwork (similarly to Artakha contest).
Of course this is not the problem in digital models and art entries.

3.)
If a winning MOC uses 3D-printed or custom masks, I think it would be appropriate to NOT let the artist change their design for the final group shot. As per the practice employed in the standard canon contest format, the creative vision of the MOC (and in this case also art) should be translated to the final team artwork. This is especially true for custom build masks, as there is no clash of interests with BS01, therefore no reason at all to change the mask in the art.
The artists should be obligated to keep the mask design of the individual winning MOCs, and art pieces.

I firmly believe this third point to be a necessity and strongly encourage you to consider it.

6 Likes

This one. BS01’s cranky moderator can deal with it. Let people’s designs be canon.

3 Likes

You bring up a good point about the metallic colors. Personally, I’d say let them be any color and be recolored to match in the final art, given the limited amount of parts in specific colors…

Also, with a couple exceptions, most silver pieces in G1 are the same LEGO color (131 Silver), even though Bricklink distinguishes them between Flat Silver and Pearl Light Gray – the difference is caused by the material. And the post-2010 Gunmetal is a different color despite Bricklink not recognizing it, and despite not being very noticibly different. And then there’s copper, where Bricklink has grouped 5 different colors, which are also visually distinct, into one.

2 Likes

Eljay, most likely.

2 Likes

I’m looking to enter, but where, and how do I enter my build?

Or has it already been and gone?

It hasn’t begun yet.

1 Like

Right. Do we post them when the time comes?

Yes, there will be a topic for that, on Saturday at the soonest (but probably later).

1 Like

Okie. Just asking

2 Likes

I think the suggested rules for the most part strike a good balance between consistency and creativity. That said I do think there’s a few points that needed clarification, most of which have already been addressed.

My question is around the use of extra torso pieces. I’ve seen a couple of comments asking about that and so far I don’t think they’ve been addressed.

Meme builds are obviously not ok, but I’ve been working on a Bomonga (based roughly on the rule suggestions from the previous thread) that uses torsos as shoulder pieces. I’m really happy with how it’s turning out and I think it looks pretty consistent with the Hagah and metru builds overall:

For reference here’s a comparison against Iruini
Toa Hagah
The shoulders are obviously bulkier, but I’ve made him a little shorter to compensate (still taller than whenua).

Would this sort of thing be acceptable as an entry? I’d also be keen to hear opinions around the metallic armour placement (I tried to make him feel like he had a gold ‘core’)

2 Likes

I think he needs a bit more; you’ve limited the metallic armour on his chest and shoulders, and completely eliminated it from the feet.

There’s not much you can do with the shoulders without making them bulkier than they already are, but the feet and chest could be made metallic.

As for the build itself, I don’t mind it. My only complaint is that elbows look a little awkward, but I’m not sure how to do it any differently.

3 Likes

So, I’ve noticed the conversation on masks has not touched on things like hero factory and glatorian helmets, as well as G2 masks, are those allowed? And if so, should artists be able to change them in the final artwork?

Also, I think we should not restrict the metallic armor to just the thighs. Also, speaking of that rule, you said that they can’t be anywhere else, but do all of those sections have to be metallic? I especially think we should not mandate the mask to be metallic, but it should be changed to metallic in the final artwork. Those are just my thoughts.

2 Likes

considering that Eljay said that any Hagah mocs with thunder thighs will be disqualified, I don’t think that this would be allowed.

1 Like

Yeah I understand that. Ol’ Thunderthighs was considered a meme entry though so would have been DQed on that basis anyway. Shoulders are about the only other place you could put an extra torso on a Metru build and have it be remotely visually consistent, but I admit I’m biased there :upside_down_face:

Now that I’ve done a proper render I’ll definitely be tweaking the gold (it’s much more vivid in Studio’s editor)

yeah this was the cleanest way I’ve found so far to attach the lower arms and still allow the Hagah-styled wrist joints.

I appreciate the idea but I think its a bit much for a standard Metru, personally