Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

I don’t believe that there are any restrictions on color, other than that it has to be metallic.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s necessary.
Could you tell me with 100% confidence whether a black Toa with gunmetal armour was a Toa of Earth, Sonics, Shadow or Gravity?
We’ve had Toa in the past that sport the colours of different elements to the ones they’re supposed to represent (Hahli Mahri/Inika for example)

5 Likes

At the very least, I could tell you it was not a Toa of Gravity, since Toa of Gravity are primarily purple.

EDIT: And after a bit of research, I could also tell you it’s not a Toa of Sonics, since they are primarily grey.

SECOND EDIT: Final answer is none of the above; it’s a Toa of Magnetism, since Toa of Earth don’t have gunmetal.

Admittedly, Lego tended to go a bit crazy with the metallic colours sometimes, so a Toa of Earth with gunmetal armour probably isn’t out of the question.

1 Like

Just letting you guys know that we’ve been reading things, but today’s just been a little crazy and I haven’t had the opportunity to sit down and reply. There will be a cumulative reply hopefully tonight that should address a lot of the questions, so get ready for a megapost from me at some point soon.

10 Likes

I was about to say, what’s the read of the room on using painted metru pieces (read thigh armor, foot piece) vs non-metru on the Toa Hagah? Would you rather have someone use pieces that aren’t metru standard but don’t require paint?
20458 53543

Or… would you rather paint these pieces for consistency’s sake ? My rationale is if you’re willing to paint a Hagah shield and mask you may as well go the extra mile, but I understand why paint is a deterrent. I’m not saying to paint the entire moc, just three pieces at most.
47298 4729953379

I don’t think any of this should be mandatory but it would be nice to know what people want.

5 Likes

Since they allow stud.io /art which allows pieces to be any color without repercussions theres really no point in being upset about any painting of parts as if one of those other mediums won then you’d still have to paint to achieve the aesthetic. (Although for some reason photoshopping color correction is banned even though its essentially doing the same thing as Studio Download [BrickLink], so be wary of that stipulation)

3 Likes

But weren’t the hagah given their masks and armor when they were assigned the task of guarding Terridax.

Y’know before the makuta went bad

5 Likes

I also think that is not necessary, I just wanted to comment something and be part of the group :flushed:

2 Likes

The way I see it is, if you want to give your moc metallic blue armor, that means that the mask is going to be metallic blue as well. There aren’t any naturally metallic blue bionicle masks, so you might as well just make all of the armor metru-styled and paint them, right?

1 Like

Ah, I may be a soft purist when it comes to posable shoulders and closed sockets, but I am harder when it comes to paint. I am willing to accept painted shields and kanohi, but no further for me. Preferably there’d be no paint, but I understand there aren’t many options we have for this contest, so I’ll make allowances if I have to. I’m probably in the minority, tho.

Unless you’re using a custom mask. Painting a 3d-printed mask (or even just a newer mask) is quite a bit different than painting 15 years old parts.

1 Like

but still, you’d have to paint that 3D printed mask.

Also, I’ll add that the Hagah contest is going to be the only contest where I’ll pay little attention to staying purist.

1 Like

Exactly my line of thinking. I’m much more lenient on painting 3D printed parts, but seeing any actual lego bricks being painted feels wrong to me. idk. I understand the need for it in this contest, and why people feel the need to do it, I just don’t. 3D printed masks though? Go for it, they exist in theoretically infinite numbers.

yeah, definitely think that with everything that’s allowed to compete against each other for this round there is no reason at all to ban digital colour-correction of physical mocs.
I see no difference between it - and allowing digital entries or artwork drawn using pieces in colours they weren’t actually produced in, or people painting pieces of their physical mocs or potentially taking advantage of different lighting.

(and I think it’s especially important with the focus on getting the most canonically accurate/era appropriate “set” for builders who don’t want to devalue the parts in their collection just to enter)

9 Likes

Honestly, it’s such a small detail, I probably wouldn’t be too bothered by it. Depending upon the shoulder armour, it might not be noticeable. It’s no different than using pins to fill pin holes.

The shoulder mod is a lot more noticeable, to me.

3 Likes

My two cents in regards to immoral masks:
The shapes represent the power, as such an immoral mask’s shape represents immorality. Additionally, there isn’t any way for someone to tell that, for instance, Norik is not wearing a noble Kiril, so unless they’re already familiar with the Hagah, their first response wouldn’t be “Oh, that reninds me of a past hero!” but “Oh, that’s a Kiril!”, no different from if it was Turaga Dume’s Kiril.

This isn’t a creativity contest. Like Racie, I will be voting for things that follow the design rules and patterns of the Hagah sets.

How you brand it doesn’t change what it is intended to be; again, we’re not dealing with AI here, these gray areas aren’t a thing in practice.

And so? Pouks didn’t wear a Mask of Emulation-shaped mask. That’s that. I don’t see why to appeal to trying to evade restrictions.

While I’m against it, yes. It isn’t necessairily an issue, it’s just a shame to have a mask that we don’t know the power of… Maybe we’d eventually want to see about pairing them with the powers with unknown shapes?

2 Likes

If you don’t stretch properly, your thighs will remain underdeveloped

big brain ghid

7 Likes

Bro, mods, anyone, can someone please ban me? I gotta get some sleep, I can’t get to sleep because I’m staying up watching the hagah debate. Seriously though, I’m checking out for the night. Rock on, dudes, looking forward to reading this on my break tomorrow.

8 Likes

sorry, I forgot this wasn’t a canon contest and was, in reality, a set mockup contest. I guess I should be voting for and only for entries that are explicitly uncreative in order to have the most look-a-like results.

you’re welcome to your opinion but I’m welcome to think that opinion is a bit silly.

all you have to do is double post
then eljay will arrive at your house and give you a spine fracture

do not double post please

3 Likes

If you dare… triple post

5 Likes