Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

We have no idea when the mention of mask usage was implemented into the code and we can’t act like we do. :man_shrugging:t3:
But again thats not necessarily even one of the big points of the perspective. Its that would using a SYMBOL be able to receive differentiation? Can someone see a mask and think of a hero before thinking of the power? I would reckon yes, especially in the case of the Hagah where when you look to their face you know you are not looking at their mask, but the symbolic icon of a hero

I’d personally rather not see it on a Hagah. A lot of people appreciate simplistic or nostalgic builds. Not everyone is a maximalist

1 Like

My guess is I’ll just have to settle for a headcanon where the Hagah are varying.

We do know that in order for the mask rule to exist, a good number of Toa likely already agreed the masks were to be avoided as a principle - if there wasn’t a good majority already in favor, it wouldn’t be passed simply because the brotherhood rebelled.

Relook at Kodiak’s stuff. Despite its almost-set-esqe simplicity it maintains a surprising amount of complexity in its appearance, and even with the current ruleset and the LEGO Set stigma we can get some fantastic entries that aren’t ‘carbon copy #5’.

7 Likes

Also I’ll quote myself because I added something to my comment before you finished replying

True, ‘chonk lord #4’ definitely has some appeal

1 Like

Exactly, we DON’T know when, but we DO know that the code was developed over a long period of time. If the Toa adapted it to maintain the trust of the Matoran and keep them free of fear, why would they wear a menacing mask in the likeness of one that has terrible or evil power so close to the period of time where the Toa Code was in its most developed form?

1 Like

Well I imagine that would be true for the shaft, what about the weapon part of the spearhead itself?

1 Like

Yeah, duh.

#thunderthighs2021

1 Like

I want my Hagah w i d e

1 Like

have you even seen Pouks? man’s got thighs for centuries

and yet the mask was immoral - to the point where Matoro felt awful and questioned his legitimacy as a Toa for wearing/using it.

likely Makuta who wore immoral masks were honored in ways outside their masks’ appearances if that was so desired - armor color, spear tips, etc. In fact, in this very contest you could experiment with giving one of the Hagah 2003 Teridax-esqe elements to ‘honor’ him.

another point: there were likely Makuta who wore moral masks. Why were their masks not added to the immoral list, or are we supposed to believe the 100 makuta members only wore the same 11 masks?

9 Likes

Due to varying lengths of the weapon piece at the end, I believe the mandate to only be of the axle length, with some discouragement towards using pieces as large as Tuma’s sword for the blade.

@Mesonak is that fair to say?

3 Likes

That is not something we’ve heard of before but I don’t think its a stretch. But then again, stretching is sort of the conflict of this whole conversation going on at the moment, no?

1 Like

I would love that, it would allow for so much spear variation!

2 Likes

the Makuta could have had any mask. Maybe they had a moral mask that was declared immoral later because a Makuta wore it, and it never came up because we never saw that mask?

2 Likes

So, I don’t have time to go over 250+ posts at the moments, so forgive if this has already been clarified. But if I’m reading this rule right:

I take it my Pouks is ineligible for entry?

3 Likes

Apologies for the incoming text-dump, but I’ve got to respond to 256 posts, so here we go:

@Toa-of-Snow, I’d say that the Mask of Elemental Energy becoming canon lends precedence to the VNOG Vision mask being on the table.

@Tarkur, The ones from the first year of Knight’s Kingdom are a bit shorter on average, but tend to be consistent with each other.

@Dag , I honestly dig the look of the MoM on Kualus as well. I’ve been planning on using that mask on him specifically for a while, though I’ve been designing a smaller, unmutated version. If this was in the contest, though, I’d vote for it over a boring Metru build with a standard mask (or even a 3D printed one that didn’t appeal to me), of which I’m sure there will be many.

@Takutanuva, I wholeheartedly second your point that many species wear Kanohi, could be heroes, yet don’t have to follow the Toa Code (personally I’m fine with most of the banned list because I didn’t plan to use any of them, but I still think this point should be considered for the benefit of others.)

@THE_DOOR_OPENER, I dig the backwards design. Very clever.

@Ghid, The idea of them all featuring Teridax-esque elements is genius.

On the rules at large:

It says the shields must be held in the hand or stored on the back- but could we depict a Toa with a shield planted in the ground? I’ve considered this for Bomonga, having him squatting/kneeling behind his shield and pointing his spear out over it.

Another question on art: Is there a limit on ‘new pieces’, like how MOCs can only use 3 3D printed parts, or can all the armor reflect new designs rather than canon pieces?

I also feel the need to point out that the Mask of Emulation is eligible for any of the Hagah besides Pouks. So, anyone who wants a more consistent canonical depiction of it by using a 3D printed part can do it that way.

3 Likes

Aight, so I’m sure that this will be controversial, but I’m going to say it anyway: I’ll probably avoid voting for any entry that gives the Hagah balljoint shoulders. It’s a common enough mod that many people already give it to the Metru Toa we have, and will give it to the winning entries anyway. I’d rather the canon mocs stick to official building techniques.

8 Likes

On another note, what’s the rule on using this piece or similar cases of non-kanohi mask pieces?

Canonically, it’s just hydraxon’s faceplate. But it’s also canon that Nidhiki resembles an insect, not a vahki, despite having a vahki head.

Nah, that’s an understandable opinion. We do want these mocs to fit in with the toys. It probably won’t affect my vote much, but I’ll probably lean in the opposite direction. Not hard, mind. Like, if I was given the option between the exact same moc with posable vs nonposable shoulders, I’d choose posable. I feel because it’s a common enough mod, it’s one of the only updates certain soft purists would accept, similar to adding voodoo balls to close the shoulder sockets. Speaking of that mod, filling in open shoulder sockets with voodoo balls I mean, how would that affect your vote?

By the current rules, no, since he’s got metallic armor on his shins. I personally think it should be accepted though.

Again, no. The Hagah masks are based on previous heroes’ kanohi, and Hydraxon’s mask is neither a kanohi, nor based on the design of a kanohi, unfortunately.

1 Like

I tried to read all messages but there are too many of them, so I don’t know if someone asked this prior:

Will be a restriction of what metal color the Toa could have? This is respecting to a golden Kualus and Gaaki, that would make them look like a Toa of Light and a Toa of Psionics.